• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heres my lights on the cowl..

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well i was told in my build thread that lots of people ask about it and want to do it but never do, this was after i had one of mine done, it never turned out as good as i thought it would, dunno if i like it or not. but i think ill get used to it
its (2) 8" 100w lights, i bought them one day when me and fx2prerunner went to Princess Auto but i couldnt find any bigger bulbs for them.

but like i said ill probably get used to it and the function will make up for it.

so if anybody else has questions about doing it, this is what i had to do. for the passenger side, i removed the fender, and started cutting, ended up with something like this. just good enough to fit a wrench in there thats all. i doesnt have to be pretty as the fender will cover it.

on the driver side, it was easier. since my truck is auto, i didnt need to remove the fender, i just removed the plate that covers up the spot where the clutch hydraulic resivoir would be. lots of room in there for a wrench and to put on the nuts and washers, no pics of that tho because its pretty simple

and if you plan on mounting the switches here:

you have to do this:

just go around it with a screw driver it will unclip all around until you get down to where the ash tray is, remove that and there are (2) 7mm bolts (probably a 9/32"?) to remove, also you gotta remove the column lever if you have an auto, it just slides up through, i used a punch and small hammer. then just run your wires and you are good to go, theres your cowl mounted lights

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Neat idea, kinda looks like they might create a bad blind spot to me tho. How did you wire them up?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Neat idea, kinda looks like they might create a bad blind spot to me tho. How did you wire them up?
Thanks! I already checked about the blind spot, it doesnt affect it as much as I thought, still have plenty of sight.

As for wiring, I used 12 gauge wire, ran from the lights to a relay and to the switch, then from the switch, to a relay, to the battery. And for the lights ground, I just ran the wire to the bolt that holds them on. Works great

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Wow....12ga is more than a bit overkill. 16g is more than enough for those lights.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well i already has this wire picked up because I am also running the 4 on the roof off it

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
looks unique lol, post some pics with the lights on

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
looks good. imo 6" would be a bit better looking and would be easier to see around. i want to do this to my rig. need more lift or it'll look funny

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well the most i had the lights on yet was in the garage with the lights off, it light up the garage good and my garage is 40 feet long and 30 feet wide, ill take her out tomorrow in the dark and get some pics of it

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that looks sweet man, i had mine up like that, but lack of pictures.

one thing ill say is you might want to sandwich a 4x4" (or as much as you can get) section of flat plate to support and brace the sheet steel of the cowl. i ripped my driverside light off with a low hanging tree :annoyed:
or you could put some of those limb saver things that are just a steel cord running from the fender to the roof to save the Apillars and lights on jeeps and the such.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the limb risers are easy to do and save lots of stuff! and can be taken off when you don't need them..

i decided against this mounting idea tho, i just didn't like the blindspot and decided to have the roof rack mounted up.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good,and 12ga may be overkill,but that's better than under kill!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
done

lights on:

got pissed off at one point and kicked out my signal light, any got a set to go for cheap, or even clears?

sorry i couldnt get any night pics, ill try to get some tonight

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
boggin you need to drive it around with headlights and cowl lights on. When we mounted our spot on the humvees this way, we got bad glare. We found it was best for a corner roof mount or down on the bumper. Let us know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals