• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Change Your Fuel Filter

zedmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just wrote this after I had a hell of a time finding out what kind of tool you need to pull the fuel filter on a Ranger! I'll have some pics of the various tools and parts ready tomorrow when it's light out!! Will put those in a reply to this thread. I know this applies to a 98, does anyone know the range of models that use a Quick Disconnect?

-Zedmaster

Here it is:

NEVER WORK ON THE FUEL SYSTEM WITHOUT FIRST RELIEVING THE PRESSURE!!!!! ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES, A LIFETIME OF EYESIGHT IS NOT WORTH THE 30 SECONDS IT TAKES TO FIND YOUR GOGGLES. KEEP SOME EYEWASH HANDY, GOGGLES AREN'T FOOLPROOF. I HOPE IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE OR HAVE ANY OPEN FLAME NEAR GASOLINE.

Wrote this short article because I had a terrible time changing the fuel filter on my '98 4-Banger, at least at first. Turns out it can be pretty easy, no thanks to Haynes and my local parts store. I tend to do a lot of preventative maintenance, in the hope that my baby will eventually go from being a highly reliable rig to an extremely reliable rig.

A Word on the Importance of Having the Right Tool for this Job:

So I go to my Haynes, and look up the fuel filter. The instructions refer to a Quick Disconnect fitting, and suggested my local store oughta have an inexpensive tool to... ...quickly disconnect it! Now, I bet you can guess... Haynes didn't bother to include a picture of the tool or the process, and the directions were contained in 6 six separate chapters. I Go down to the auto parts store and ask for the tool. First I get some dumb looks, then somebody shows me a set of rinky-dink plastic rings made by OEM. You got several sizes, and the package said they were for Quick Disconnect fuel lines. They wanted 12 bucks for this crap! Now some of you live in places like CA, NY, and NJ, and twelve bucks is what you pay for your coffee and sandwich in the morning. Up here in Maine, I pay 2.89 for a large Italian (that's a sub to you folks from Away), and 12 bucks is heck of a lot of money for a piece of plastic crap that doesn't work! Bit my tongue and bought it. Went home, read the directions again. Relieved the pressure in the fuel system, piece of cake! Crawled under my truck, found the fuel filter, and stuck the plastic things in. Tried every size I could, slipped it in the fitting, felt it bending and squirming in there, and something told me that tool wouldn't work. Asked a gearhead friend, and he'd never heard of them, and said just use vice grips. Some people are idiots. That might work, but I'm not really into the idea of going down the road with fuel lines that could fail. Some other people said spray some PB Blaster on it for a few days (is there anything people don't suggest that for?), and I did. No dice. Gave up for several weeks, figuring I'd get it eventually. Finally I'm at a different parts store and I spot a tool from AMPro for Ford Quick Disconnects, made of METAL, and it was only 7 dollars. Something told me it was gonna work a lot better, and let me tell you, it DID!!! Forget PB Blaster, DEFINITELY forget the vice grips, it is all about the right tool for the right job.

Now that you have the right tool, here's the quick instructions:

Relieve the Fuel Pressure:

Find your Fuel Inertia Switch down by the panel your passengers might put their feet against, just under the glove box. Mine wasn't really labelled at all, but you can recognize it from the little recessed button on top of the assembly. It's about 1 inch square, and has some wires connected to the bottom. Use a small flathead screwdriver to disconnect the wire connector. Now you just put your key in the ignition, and crank the engine for 20-30 seconds. You know you've got the switch because it will not start. Now you are ready to take out the old filter.

Remove the Filter:

PUT ON YOUR SAFETY GOGGLES!!! I got a good splash of gas on my goggles, which means it would've been in my eyes if I hadn't been wearing them. I'll say it again, there is no reason at all to risk your eyesite. How are you gonna drive that Ranger without seeing?

Note the direction your existing filter is facing so that you can install the new one in the same way!!

Raise up the front of the truck to prevent fuel siphoning.

The filter is under the driver's frame rail, on the inside, about where your seat is. There are some springy things on the Quick Disconnect fittings you have to take off. Just squeeze them and sort of twist them to release the tab and slot that holds them together. The book called them retainer clips or something. I removed my filter from the big spring clips that held it to the frame first. Take your METAL Quick Disconnect tool, put the two halves of the tool around the fuel filter tube, and slide them into the fuel fitting. If there isn't enough room to slide the tool in, put one half in first, then the other. Slide them in as far as they can possibly go. There might be a click. You can hit the tool lightly with a hammer if it's sticking. GENTLY hold the fuel line with a pliers, and pull the filter out while pressing the disconnect tool into the fitting. This seems to be the easiest way.

You might lose a half-cup of gas when that filter is unhooked. You can cap it with the caps from the new filter.

Install the New Filter:

This is really, really, really easy. Not a bad idea to take a clean cloth rag and make sure those Quick Disconnects are clean inside. There might be a touch of rust if you live in the Salt Belt, but I wouldn't sweat that. Make sure your new filter is facing the right way. My FRAM was marked with an arrow, but I don't think the old NAPA was. Just slide the filter tubes into the Quick Disconnect fittings, give 'em a tug to be sure they're in there firmly, replace the spring retainer doohickies, and snap the new filter back into the clip on the frame!

Test out the New Filter:

If you're like me, you'll put the key in the ignition, put it into the accessory position for a minute, crank it up, and wonder why the heck your truck isn't starting, then remember you unhooked the Fuel Inertia Switch!

You'll have to plug that switch back in. The Haynes says you might need to push that little button on top, but I didn't have to. Put the key in Accessory, and wait a minute. Turn the key, and you're in business!!! I figure my old filter was slightly clogged, because it does run a bit smoother now, especially at idle. At the very least I can check off one dot on my maintenance list now.

Last edited:

sstoli123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice article! I went through the same thing with the same plastic discs

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 88 does and i changed it in the ampm parking lot the first day i got the thing, i used plyers and a flat head screw driver i think,

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Hey bro, do you remember the name of the autoparts store where you found these metal disconnects? I remember changing the filter of my 99 long time ago, and when I was done the fuel filter was in about 5 pieces. I had no idea that a special tool was required. Pretty soon we'll need a special tool just to wipe our ass!!

Alohanigel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Cannot find fuel inertia switch. I get one 1988 2.9l
Many mahalos(thanks)

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES, A LIFETIME OF EYESIGHT IS NOT WORTH THE 30 SECONDS IT TAKES TO FIND YOUR GOGGLES. KEEP SOME EYEWASH HANDY, GOGGLES AREN'T FOOLPROOF.
I made the mistake of pulling the fuel line off without relieving pressure. The gas in the eyes wasnt so bad... It kinda stung a little. I actually drove right across the stree to the hospital that happened to be there. I will tell you what about drove me insane and wrecked the truck was the gas in my ears. OH MY HOLY FREAKING GOAT SCREW!!!! THAT FLIPPIN HURT......... Yeah so I'm not discounting his safety measurements for your eyesight, but you might wanna throw in some spongy type ear plugs too.

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i never has gas in my ear...

i know its fun to burp up for about 12 hours

desertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The plastic things will work. Just a little harder to use. Put a pair of pliers loosely around the line and push the PROPER size plastic thingee in, hold in and pull off the line.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have the plastic ones when I redid the a/c. They work but they work better with a spritz of WD-40.

disvnvet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel Filter Removal.

After trying the majority of the tools shown:

If it still does not want to come out what do you do.

Got the tank side off but the engine side is probably still laughing at me.

It really has me upset:bawling:

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i used the metal tool that has the rivet in the middle. it has a scissor action to it. one of the ends will fit in the opening. on mine, i really had to shove that bad boy in there. i thought i was gonna break something.

disvnvet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tool

I have that tool also from NAPA.

Even when I have it bottomed out on the hose nipple the fuel filter still will not budge.

No matter which tool I have used, I get it bottomed out within the nipple, the fuel filter will not come out.

Thanks for the input however.

03fx4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Different connector

edit: this might be in the wrong thread. My ranger is a 4.0L V6.. I will leave it just incase.

Hello. On my 03 ranger none of the mentioned tools worked. I have not seen any info anywhere about the connectors I have. Even my chiltons and many googles didn't come up with the results. My connectors to the fuel filter are black plastic and you have to Push on a colored tab to get them to come off. I guess these are a quick disconnect type maybe? I tried the plastic and metal tools, both w/o luck.

These are actually very easy to take off once you realize you have to push in on the tab. The bitch of it was every one of the three tabs were facing TOWARDS the truck so you cant see them. I finally saw them when I got fed up with pulling on the damn things and got my little mirror and looked at the back side. I put a small flat head bit in my hand and pushed and pop, just like that. I would suggest if you have these type take the t-case skid plate off for the front fuel line, that one took about 10 minutes just due to the angle and distance you have to reach. Not being able to see the little color tab is the hardest part about it.

Hope this helps anyone else who doesn't have that spring type that requires the tool mentioned.

Last edited:

cf3232

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i never has gas in my ear...

i know its fun to burp up for about 12 hours
The ish hurts for real. I had it happen to me, could not find the fuel cutoff switch in my explorer. Will never do it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals