• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor won't go back in

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I recently had my 2.9l rebuilt, then I re-assembled and installed it. When trying to start it, I realized the distributor was off 1 or 2 cogs. Pulled it and adjusted once, then pulled it again and now won't go all the way back in.
It starts to engage the cam gear then won't go any further. We have rotated the oil pump drive to try to get it lined up. We have moved the crank w/ a socket wrench on damper while trying to stab distributor. The gear on dist looks fine.
What am I missing/doing wrong?
Thanks, Y'all.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Its just really finicky. There really isnt much too it, its just a Pain in the ass.
I had some trouble with mine too. Just keep at it and it'll slide onto the shaft. I couldn't get mine to go on exactly where I took it off, so I had to move it over one tooth. No big deal as I just rotated the wires one space to the right.

Good luck man.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
do the remote start while lightly pressing on the dizzy make sure the rotor is not in and grab you click the starter until i falls the rest of the way down on the pump shaft then check it by putting it on tdc and see if it lines up with #1 plug wire on the cap.

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Y'all, we were working on it for several hours and couldn't get it to do any more or less.
We had discussed moving the wires but picked adjusting the dist for some now elusive idea.
What do you suspect the hangup is? The oil pump shaft, the gear or one of the steps on the dist shaft?

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok if you get a socket and put it on the crank you can turn the motor slightly and it should make it fall into place let me know if this helps

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's in !

I bumped the starter as light as I could, and it dropped right in!
Thanks to all who posted ideas and encouragement.
Except for an exhaust leak at the right manifold to Y pipe, it runs good.
Thanks again. :yahoo:

brett1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sure its not like a chevy small block, but i had the same issue with my old chevy, and there is a little pin ill call it across the bottom of the gear that goes into some part i dont know the name of when it sets in place. If your having trouble setting it on the right tooth take a long flathead, stick it down in the hole and turn the little do dad til your distributor goes in. This sounds completely stupid but it makes sense to me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals