• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Reliability, Common Problems?

kota04sxt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi. First post here. I am looking at a 95 ranger 4x4, with the 4.0 I was wondering how reliable they are? Any common problems? What kind of MPG? Basically, I need something that is a reliable daily driver. I would be parting way's with my Grand Cherokee if I get this, which has been nothing but reliable and a beast in any condition's. This particular ranger has 133k miles, auto trans, 4x4 with manual hubs and stx package I believe. I know I have replaced a lot of spring hangars for the leaf's, but I can't remember what all common drivetrain problem's they have!? Any help would be appreciated.

98Ranger_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 98, with the electric transfer case, but its got the 4.0 V6 and it is a beast. (Wish I could say the same for the less than unreliable AVHubs, but oh well. Probably gonna switch those out to manuals anyway.) But I get about 12mpg in town, keeping in mind I've never actually driven a full tank of gas without hot roddin.

kota04sxt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, what tcase do the 93-97 use, forgot to ask? I get pretty good MPG in my jeep, so I was hoping a ranger would get a little better, being a V6. But, if the motor/trans/tcase and diffs are reliable, I wouldnt mind having another truck.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would estimate between 15-17 city and 19-21 highway for mileage if driven normally. Do you have a manual trans? Manual t case? It should have an M5OD if it has a manula trans and a Borg Warner 1350 or 1354 Tcase. The manual hubs are very reliable as well as the engine with regular maintanance. I know jeeps are really good in 4x4 usually because they have front and rear L/S or something.... If your ranger has an L/S rear you should be good to go My 84 goes pretty much everywhere. No real major problems with drivetrains though...

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The EPA ratings are 16/20 and that's about what I get in mine, same configuration as yours. They commonly go over 250,000 miles driven regularly and well maintained.

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Problem area seems to be valvetrain noise from pushrod/rockerarm galling, but apparantly that does not need to be treated as it's harmless. People get some headaches from the electric transfer case motor but that's an easy fix. People have issues with automatic hubs sometimes, but that's cheap and easy. Power steering pumps make a harmless noise.

Pretty good truck overall, I'd say.

dangerranger911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i have 94 with a 4.0/manual/supercab/4x4 with over 265,xxx starts every time. The only issue i have had is the cats plugged up. It has slight oil leak somewhere it losses a quart about 1500 miles or so oil pressure still good, and its primary function far has been mud mud mud and more mud. the truck also has a 6 in skyjacker and averages about 18 mpg driving it around. so reliable yes just maintain your vehicle and your good to go.

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
It has slight oil leak somewhere it losses a quart about 1500 miles or so oil pressure still good,QUOTE]

I figuered 1 quart per month. Check your pcv valve. mine is dead so the vaccum from the engine suck oil through the PCV system and burns it...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
somebody once tried to tell me that the early 4.0Ls were as prone to head cracking as the 2.9L.......... I have only one 4.0L with a cracked head, it was in a 95 and it had obviously been beaten like a rented mule that was beaten like a red headed stepchild that had been beaten like a rented mule......... which should say something about the mighty 4.0L....... this engine had been run hot enough to crack the heads and was still running.....

I may have bought it because the price was cheap except the guy also tried telling me (thats right, tried telling me) that the transmission was actually a 4spd with a ghost 5th and that it appeared in several rangers behind the 4.0L ........ I told him he had been lied too and pointed him to TRS.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LOL @ ghost 5spd. I wish I was that imaginative.

Good trucks over all. 228k on mine when I bought it, still at a whopping 228k. Still goes and pulls fast. Has a few minor leaks but doesn't smoke a lick. Well built motors IMO

kota04sxt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the one I am looking at seems like a decent truck. Are the auto trans any good in these?

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine shifts a little funny, but Its positive and shifts fine.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
mine has 340 000 km on it, and still VERY strong.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely a descent setup, I've had a couple 4.0 OHV's and they're all dependable and will go high mileage, I get around 20 mpg highway with 31" tires. Depending on if you have the standard M5OD or the auto 4R55E the manual is a good tranny but the auto you need to make sure to keep up with fluid and filter replacement I think its every 30k and not overheat it and it will be a good transmission, I've overheated mine a couple times but has kept going but have heard different stories from folks that's over heated theirs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals