• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project: SVT Wannabe

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I want to build a SVT focus sedan, I'm starting out with a 2002 Focus SE with a 2.0l SPI.

My plans:
-SVT front bumper
-build a SVT rear bumper
-After market SVT lookalike side skirt.
-Focus euro grill and turn signal swap.
-2.0 Ztech swap
-5 speed swap
-SVT or equal lowering kit.
-17 in SVT wheels
-perfomance exhaust and header
-HID Headlight swap
-OEM sedan spoiler

OK... It's at a current speed of slow but since I bought it in oct. I havn't had the money to do anything to it. Soooo this summer I finally got around to doing some much needed maintaince and to figure out some issues that have occured and need to be taken care of before I really dig in!!

So first off I figured I would take care of the general thigs to bring it back to new again.

I noticed that the rear wheels have had a tad bit of negetive camber going on but just figured it was me looking at the car weird or something and the rear brakes were skweeling very badly so I figured while I had the rear wheels off I could check out the rear suspension.

passengerside tire:

drivers:

So looks like I was right about the camber issues going to need to get some new tires going to get some all season being that these will eventually be my winter wheels.

Now the reason for the bad tire ware:

passenger side spring is broken at the top and bottom

And drivers just at the top:

So i'm in the market for new springs now although I had planed on lowering the car anyhow, so i'm lookin into get this SVT kit:

Ok now to the front when i first got the car it had a front passenger suspension rattled but wasn't really sure what it was. I noticed the sway bar links were wore out but it sounded different than that, and it's been getting worse and it's now moved to the drivers side as well and now even at idle when the fan kicks on. It causes the front to rattle so i finally put it up on jack stands and took both front wheels off. notice the driverside link was broke off so i went and got new links installed them now no more noise!!

drivers link...

new:

Ok lastly for the weekend when i bought the car I noticed the passenger head light had melted from previous owner not installing the bulb correctly i assume:

So i've been in the market for some HIDs some friends at work have'em and told me a cheap site to order them through and because the housing is melted it scatters the light too much and I was just going to get a used one from a J/Y. But a buddy of mine who drives a owns a civic with HIDs and a 350z suggested I get projection housings insted cause even with new factory housings, the HIDs with still scatter really bad and projections give ya a better beam. So now it looks like I'm going to be checking these out now too. The list keep getting bigger and bigger. I'll keep this updated as I progress the build.

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
very cool....but if you want to smoke an svt focus....swap in a 302 :)

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Subscribed. :icon_thumby:

I think there was a recall on those crappy springs. My mom busted one, too.

Swapping in a Zetec will be "plug and play", but in stock form it's pretty underpowered (I drove one for 7 years in my ZX2), although a 5-speed will help. Do you plan on getting the SVT-tuned engine? They milked 170 ponies out of it (up from 130 stock), but it was all done with internal mods - no forced induction. The SVT Focus also had a 6-speed trans. If you could score the SVT engine/trans, you'd have it made, unless there's something different about the 3-door and sedan that wouldn't allow the swap.

Believe it or not, a V-8 can actually be stuffed into the engine bay. I used to subscribe to Sport Compact Car magazine and that was one of the projects. The problem is that the car is so light and the frame couldn't handle the power. A lot of the power went to waste because effectively using it was a challenge, but it roasted tires like crazy.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like to get a SVT motor/tranny combo but as of right now i'm going for whats cheap a buddie of mine has a ZX2 he wants to sell needs some work but it runs good. I wanting to get a hold of it yea it's a hatchback and would be easier to soup up but the body is ruff and not many sedans get done good, I seen a few and I want to buld one. So I'll pulll his motor for now if I can get it. If not I'll half to look else were. As for the rear springs I was thinking the same thing about the recall but I had sasquachryda run the vin# to check for any recalls and it came up none. I'll going to go this weekend to check the j/y to see what motors they have around.

I've seen the V8s there is a couple vids on youtube love to go that direction but I want a daily driver too. mabe the ZX2 can be a v8 swap....:dunno:

jhammel85

V8 swap FTW :D

No seriously though..This is a cool build! I'll be following this one.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I checked aarons car when i got to work today it's a ZX3 not 2 i'll half to get some pics. Besides the ruff body and cracked windsheild, when he lays on the brakes it'll shut off and sometimes takes a bit to restart, another co-workers wifes focus was doing the same thing local garage told her it was a brake booster senser?? But the motor is in good shape and it's quick too. i hope to get it before he trades it in. He's still on the fence with it but he deffenitly wants some thing new, he is the original owner or the focus and it has less than 70,000 miles on it and it's a 2001!!

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing new to report except the check engine light came on now she needs a O2 senser. My buddy traded his ZX3 wendsday for a '04 Acura TL badass ride I'm jeleous, I'm glad I car pool with him I enjoy the ride to work and the ride home now if I can talk him into letting me drive it. :annoyed: I'm going to watch and see if the dealership sells his car or if they sell it at auction. I hope they want cheap for it they gave him a grand, and I know what's wrong with it.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet. Subscribed!

If you are going to swap motors, why not just do an SVT and 6 speed swap?

And I would go with something besides the SVT suspension. They sway bars are good, better than stock, but its only a 1/2 in drop. Go with some Tein springs. I love mine. 2/2.3ish and much softer than Eibachs.

You should also come to Focus In The Feild this summer. Its in Michigan and a pretty fun time. You are a lot closer than me. I'll post a link to the thread once they start one.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also an SVT rear bumper wont work on a sedan. If it did, I have a cracked one sitting here. The only way to do it would be to get an SAP rear and put a SVT diffuser in it, but that would be pointless since the SAP rear is the best looking rear ever IMO.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
yea i'd like to do a SVT motor swap, but the last SVT I found wrecked they wanted 9 grand for it. I belive ford racing wants 2500 for a 2.3 zetech. I havn't found a SVT motor yet. let alone a tranny and everything to do the swap I need a whole car.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
sweet, i want on. i wanna watch this. lol

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a good find but the car is in cali. That would be a very expensive shipping bill. Plus he dosn't want to part it out. I'm going to do a search to see what I come up with around here. havn't looked in a while. I havn't been on that site in forever need to check it out again for bits and pieces like headlights. whats your username on there. Mines the same, i met IowaSVT on here a while back thats on there.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
SN is same. There is an Ohio meet next month I am going to. You should look it up too.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
SN is same. There is an Ohio meet next month I am going to. You should look it up too.
Yea I belive you PMd me a link a couple weeks ago. so far no luck on a SVT lots of ZX3s and 4s around 6500 and up. I have found a couple wrecked mustangs gt and cobras for below 2500 if I wanted to go the V8 route. Maybe I otta look into V8 conversions and go all out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals