• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM Manual Locking Hubs for 98 Ranger

bldthrst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Folks,
About 3 months ago I ordered a set of AVM Manual Locking hubs for my 1998 Ford Ranger. These came with a six month warranty. In 3 months the hub which was made of "military" grade plastic, snapped during highway driving, 4x4 was not engaged. I contacted the Baseline 4x4 Outfitters, the place I ordered them from. They have refused to honor my warranty. I contacted the Better Business Bureau, and they are putting a warranty guarantee flag out on this company. They are letting consumers know that Baseline 4x4 Outfitters will not honor their warranties. Please do not get yourself into the situation I am in. I have broken hubs, and am out $160.00 +. Please spread the word not to order from this decietful company. Thanks and happy 4 wheelin!!!!

Bldthrst
98 Ranger 4X4

Admin Note: Baseline 4x4 Outfitters responded to this complaint further down the thread. Their response can be read at:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=611952&postcount=52

~ Jim Oaks

Last edited by a moderator:

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same thing happen to me, also highway driving hubs unlocked in 2wd. But I lost both of them when they broke (different occasions). I was never able to find them so it would have been impossible for me to get any compensation. Have you tried going to the manufacturer AVM/Rugged Ridge to have them honor the warranty?

bull90

Canadian Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4.0 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
uh oh.... i ordered mine and there on there way...

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are great, just keep an eye on them.

CurtisUSArmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
i just put mine on not that long ago and they work fine lol hopefully they dont break

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i thought the avms were full metal internals but i have heard nothing but good things about them till now. i was even going to look into a set for my 94. since they say they make them for all kinda of vehicles

edit i was just on there site there internals arent plastic

Last edited:

bull90

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4.0 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
to fix this issue people are having... when you install id put some caulking or jb weld them to your hub..

i think that would solve them from breaking off.

my 2cents

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
I have had 2 sets and both sets have broken one was while in 4wd coming out of a mud hole the hub exploded and I could not find all the pieces, the other broke while driving on the road in 2wd. and caulk , silicone or JB weld will not keep them from breaking.

bldthrst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
The internals are not plastic, but the housing that the lockout runs down, the guide is made of plastic. This is the part that breaks. When this breaks, the part of the hub that turns with the axle is loose and causes an extremely bad shake or vibration because it is moving back and forth on the axle instead of staying in one place. While this is free to move it is impossible to get the hub to lock in. The locking gear simply pushes the drive gear further back on the axle instead of locking into it which turns your wheel.

bldthrst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Bull90, if I were you when I received them I would send them right back. If you are planning on doing any 4 wheeling at all. Mine broke in 2wd, so who knows how long they will last in 4x4. I hate to see anyone else throw $160 down the drain like I did.

bldthrst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
KennyKenny, I did contact the AVM/Rugged Ridge company. They told me that Baseline 4x4 would have to honor the warranty. They claimed they are simply a distribution center and have nothing to do with the warranty that comes with them. Very frustrating.

bldthrst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
RangerToy, I dont understand how they can continue selling these hubs with all the problems they cause. I would think that they would redesign. Obviously they know they continue messing up and do not want to honor their warranties because they would go bankrupt... LOL!!!

bull90

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4.0 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
well i got them in last night at 6pm.. installed in about 15min..

here's what they look like.

these are the only locking hubs for that years model of ford ranger and mazda B-Series

ill eventualy put out a review for them.. since no one has made one online yet... for some unknown reason..

i think they could redesign this very easly!.. instead of having them just lock into place like the original vacum hub.. they could make it soo they have some sort of bracket taht connects to the bolts on the hub.. this way here. the tire and the rotor are holding the hub down tightly.

ill be modding my original hubs for 100% lock once these give out

P.S ill be cleaning them out every time i go wheeling.

Last edited:

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just keep an eye on the rubber o-ring that is on the hub (that is what keeps it tight). Also, I have a suspicion that removing and re-installing them is what may cause them to come lose, since the plastic fatigues and starts to bend and loosen up. I wouldn't take them off all that often. They suggest lubing them with motor oil on the internals also, I wouldn't use any heavy grease. I'll look for a picture I saw one time in one of the offroad magazines that showed how they kept it in place on the trail when it kept popping off, they used about 20 zip ties. Funny looking but it kept them wheeling.

drifterawh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Seen that in some back issue of 4Wheel& off-road

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals