• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Purpose Of The Pinch Bolt

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi All

As the title states, I'm wondering what is the purpose of the pinch bolt found on the dana 35 front axle pumpkin?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Uh, it probably pinches something.

No seriously, which one? The only pinch bolts I can think of on that axle are out at the upper ball joints, and are used to close the upper ear in to grab onto the camber/caster sleeve better. If you could be more descriptive about the exact location of the bolt in question that would be helpful.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I seem to remember a long bolt that goes vertically through the top and bottom flanges of the axle beam and a groove on the driver side of the pumpkin. It just kind of sandwiches all that together. If you drop that in place first during assembly, you can almost use it as a hinge to pivot the differential into place and aligned while you start all the mounting bolts from the front side.

Maybe that's the bolt he's asking about. I have no idea why it's there. But it must be important.

Eric B

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
The only pinch bolt I actually only of, like asdm stated is for the upper ball joint to hold the caster/ camber bushings in place . If there is something new I would really love to know.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The only pinch bolt I actually only of, like asdm stated is for the upper ball joint to hold the caster/ camber bushings in place . If there is something new I would really love to know.
I would be very interested in anything new being discovered on the TTB D-35, since they have now been out of production several times longer than they were in production.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TTB Axle beams - A few cases of cracked beams have been reported right at the end of the welds on the backside of the passengerside beam with prolonged hard offroad use. If you use your truck hard (such as rockcrawling), some reinforcement in this area (I.E., boxing up the open backside of the beam) can improve it's durability here. Also, NEVER run with a missing pinch bolt behind the radius arm on the driverside axle beam. Cracking of the beam around the lower radius arm bolt hole can result if you do.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_28_35.shtml

I always took it as the long bolt that runs vertically thru the beam and differential housing.

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I seem to remember a long bolt that goes vertically through the top and bottom flanges of the axle beam and a groove on the driver side of the pumpkin. It just kind of sandwiches all that together. If you drop that in place first during assembly, you can almost use it as a hinge to pivot the differential into place and aligned while you start all the mounting bolts from the front side.

Maybe that's the bolt he's asking about. I have no idea why it's there. But it must be important.

Eric B
Yes this is the bolt I'm referring to.

Kind of forgot this front end has been out of production since 1997...lol

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, it supports the beam between the pumpkin and where the radius arm attaches so it doesn't flex (and subsequently cracks).

If you're asking about it because you're having difficulty getting it in or out past the radius arm (a common scenario), grind one side of the bolt head down so that it is "D"-shaped, you should then be able to finagle it in past the radius arm.

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it supports the beam between the pumpkin and where the radius arm attaches so it doesn't flex (and subsequently cracks).

If you're asking about it because you're having difficulty getting it in or out past the radius arm (a common scenario), grind one side of the bolt head down so that it is "D"-shaped, you should then be able to finagle it in past the radius arm.
Thanks

It has Skyjacker radius arms and it looks like the bolt would "almost" clear.

A bit of grinding as you suggest should do the trick.

If my memory is correct I seem to remember grinding the edge of the pumpkin where the pinch bolt goes through so the radius arm could be positioned properly. (Lift has been on the truck for 12 years)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals