• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ranger no fuel to engine Please help

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 ford ranger 2.9L V6 4x4 manual
I have tried almost everything and cant seen to find the problem the truck was running great but needed a clutch and had some rotted out brake lines so a put the new clutch in it and replaced the brake lines now it wont start all the fusees are good and i couldn't hear the pump turn on so i replaced that as well and it still wont start i check for power at the pump with a test light and got nothing to i checked for power where those wires lead into the engine bay and got nothing with the test light but with a volt meter i got a reading of 11.36 which doesn't make sense since the test light wouldn't light up and it is good i checked it i dunno I'm kinda stuck can anyone please help me out oh and i checked the inertia switch and it seems to be OK i even bypassed the wires and the pump still doesn't turn on so i don't think its that PLEASE HELP ME

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump relay? Disconnected ground somewhere?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it's a bad connection somewhere. the voltmeter applies no load to the circuit but the test light does.

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How can i test the relay i cant seem to find another on the truck like the fuel pump relay to switch it with is there a way to test the relay

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so you have brand new fuel pump? the inline one under drivers side? so does your truck just keep cranking? when you turn the key to the on position do the relays click? turn the key on and check fuel pressure. also check the fuel pump wire on negitive battery terminal kinda looks like a in line fuseable link. also could be nutral safty switch.

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its not the relay bought a new one and nothing but when i jump a hot wire from the relay to the ground on the relay the pump turns on but it still just cranks and wont fire i know its a fuel issue because i took a can of carb clean and sprayed it in the intake and it fired right up and i replaced the intank pump not that one didnt know it even existed till i started looking on here

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
find the pressure valve on the drivers side fuel rail and push the tire valve center pin after you crank it a bit. If you don't get a big spurt of fuel you have a regulator problem or a fuel delivery problem. think clogged filter, or blown regulator. you need to see at least 40 psi.

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
find the pressure valve on the drivers side fuel rail and push the tire valve center pin after you crank it a bit. If you don't get a big spurt of fuel you have a regulator problem or a fuel delivery problem. think clogged filter, or blown regulator. you need to see at least 40 psi.
I have no pressure at all the pump isn't working at all and that's the problem but where is the second pump i keep hearing about that isn't in the tank i cant seem to find it or maybe i overlooked it thinking it was something else someone please help I'm so lost right now and have to get this running asap

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I have no pressure at all the pump isn't working at all and that's the problem but where is the second pump i keep hearing about that isn't in the tank i cant seem to find it or maybe i overlooked it thinking it was something else someone please help I'm so lost right now and have to get this running asap
Is that a Type-O??? that the other fuel pump is not in the tank??

To my meager understanding, if you have a fuel pump on the frame rail you should have a pump in the tank as well, 2 fuel pump system. The trucks and Bronco II's that have 1 pump units had the single pump but they were all in the tank.

Vintage wise, yours could be a early one that would/could have a pump, singular, just 1, in the tank.

where was the fuel pump (FP) that you tried to direct wire?? on the frame rail near the bell housing on the drivers side?.

presuming the frame FP, if you tried to direct wire it from the battery to the FP and it , the FP didn't go. Either you didn't get a good connection or the FP is done & a unfortunate coincidence with the brake job and clutch.

Oh...and clutch.....did you remember to plug in the safety neutral switch ,SNS, after the clutch was done??

Last edited:

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What i meant to say was the i cant find a pump besides the one in the tank there is no pump on the frame rail and the fuel lines just go directly to the fuel rail. I'm getting really pissed with this p.o.s. I've done everything that i can think of relays, fusees, ignition switch, inertia switch, traced all the wires looking for bad connections. I just don't get if i take the relay off and then take a piece of wire to the pos and neg on the relay plug my pump turns on but the truck still wont start which is confusing because i have spark and its def getting air so if the pump turns on why the hell doesn't it start and what is keeping the pump from getting power with a new relay on?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
What i meant to say was the i cant find a pump besides the one in the tank there is no pump on the frame rail and the fuel lines just go directly to the fuel rail. I'm getting really pissed with this p.o.s. I've done everything that i can think of relays, fusees, ignition switch, inertia switch, traced all the wires looking for bad connections. I just don't get if i take the relay off and then take a piece of wire to the pos and neg on the relay plug my pump turns on but the truck still wont start which is confusing because i have spark and its def getting air so if the pump turns on why the hell doesn't it start and what is keeping the pump from getting power with a new relay on?
well, have replaced the in-tank pump??

if no...then it could be a rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the stem pipe inside the tank...that might be deteriorated, mine was. this might explain the lack of pressure

but from what you're saying...if I understand correctly, is that you can take power straight to the relay, from the battery ...you can get the pump to run. but...when you plug it back in to the harness it won't?? is that correct?

there might be a inline fuse prior to the relay,,,has that been checked for??

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, have replaced the in-tank pump??

if no...then it could be a rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the stem pipe inside the tank...that might be deteriorated, mine was. this might explain the lack of pressure

but from what you're saying...if I understand correctly, is that you can take power straight to the relay, from the battery ...you can get the pump to run. but...when you plug it back in to the harness it won't?? is that correct?

there might be a inline fuse prior to the relay,,,has that been checked for??
i have replaced the pump that was the first thing i did and i didn't take power from the battery but from the plug the relay plugs into i connected the hot wires with the ground inside that plug and it made the pump run so i thought it must be a bad relay so i replaced it and the pump wont run also when i did that i tried to start the truck and it still wouldn't start. I wish i had the money to just take this thing to farmco electrical i hate this stuff

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
i have replaced the pump that was the first thing i did and i didn't take power from the battery but from the plug the relay plugs into i connected the hot wires with the ground inside that plug and it made the pump run so i thought it must be a bad relay so i replaced it and the pump wont run also when i did that i tried to start the truck and it still wouldn't start. I wish i had the money to just take this thing to farmco electrical i hate this stuff
MAybe it is a bad connection in the plug itself....with jumper wires you get a good connection...but when it is plugged back in to the harness it gets lost.

as for the still lacking fuel...might have air lock in the line...might have to ask for some help....one to cycle the key on and off and one to hold the schraider valve on the injector manifold to help purge the air out.

or you still don't have the fuel lines sealed up...so it keeps drawing air in. but it would also tend to leak fuel else where too.

sure you don't have a fuel line plugged or switched (supply & return) from the pump replacement?

storj24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAybe it is a bad connection in the plug itself....with jumper wires you get a good connection...but when it is plugged back in to the harness it gets lost.

as for the still lacking fuel...might have air lock in the line...might have to ask for some help....one to cycle the key on and off and one to hold the schraider valve on the injector manifold to help purge the air out.

or you still don't have the fuel lines sealed up...so it keeps drawing air in. but it would also tend to leak fuel else where too.

sure you don't have a fuel line plugged or switched (supply & return) from the pump replacement?
The air lock in the line makes sense so ill bleed the fuel line and I'll use jumper wires to connect the plug to the relay and see if that's it. Also i bought an aftermarket relay and it has an extra prong coming out of it and the plastic its self is shaped a little different but it was the same at multiple parts stores with different brands should i just get the factory relay from ford if i can could that have something to do with it or is it possible to test the old relay?

Dodge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever figure your problem I have the same issue with my 89.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals