• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is wrong with my cooling system!!!

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you really wanna risk it? Could make a bad situation worse. Just sayin...

If you’re like me, you’ll probably chance it anyway. Good luck, man. Hope it all works out.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Do you really wanna risk it? Could make a bad situation worse. Just sayin...

If you’re like me, you’ll probably chance it anyway. Good luck, man. Hope it all works out.
Back in the day I'm talking to 50s and early 60s my dad left the radiator cap loose, and just carried water. Unless it's really hot outside I don't think it'll be a problem, but it's not my decision to make.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got one more dumb question. I'm gonna try to drive the ranger to the cabin tomorrow, once I get out of the city I can take gravel roads all the the way, it just takes longer, the wife is gonna follow me just in case something goes wrong.
So, if loosen the radiator cap like halfway to the first stop, would that help relieve some pressure while I drive or will it start leaking coolant or blow the cap? It's a little over 1 hour drive on gravel roads, just trying to make sure I get there safely and with a running truck, if something happens I have a friend ready to bring a trailer but I rather not go through that. Thanks guys..
Drain some coolant from radiator, so its down 2"s or so.
You can leave the cap loose, rotated to first(and only) stop, so no pressure builds up in the system.

Coolant still expands when heated, this is where the pressure comes from, and why you need to leave some room at the top of the radiator for the coolant to expand into.

Vehicles ran like this for years, no pressure in the system, and also with pressure and no overflow tank, just like current Degas setups you just leave room in the system for coolant to expand.

50/50 coolant will boil at 230degF with no pressure in the system, engine normally runs at 190-200degF so no issue there, BUT inside the heads coolant will be 10-15deg hotter, still enough of a margin but if you see any signs of temp gauge climbing slow it down and let it cool down

With pressure 50/50 boils at 260degF

Water boils at 212degF(sea level) with no pressure, so straight water would not be a good idea with loose rad cap

As you go up in altitude any fluid boils at a lower temp, water and 50/50 boils at 2degF less for each 1,000ft
so at 3,000ft elevation water would boil at 206deg, coolant at 224deg, -6 degF, with no pressure

Last edited:

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I drove the truck to the cabin and it made it all the way. I left the cap loose even though some recommended not to, I'm somewhat stubborn lol.
The bad part was it started leaking out of a small hose somewhere, not the cap though, so I had to stop about 4 times to put water in it, but it never overheated. The wife was following me anyways but everything went good.
Maybe this weekend I can spend a few hours disassembling it and getting the motor ready to come out, my buddies are gonna let me use a hoist and engine stand and help me here and there. I Called the insurance company and told them to drop coverage on it and put it on the minivan so I think I'm good to go, hopefully it'll be done this fall, depends on how busy I am.
I'll post back with updates and/or questions, thanks everyone again, you guys rock!!!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Good luck! This may be good time to look around for another engine if it's has high mileage. I don't know about the 3.0, but it seems there are plenty of 4.0s out there. I scored a engine transmission and T case a little over 3 years ago out of a wrecked 98 Ranger, was 62 K on the od! The transmission is now in the 94 extended cab I just picked up last month!

Edit,.

Just a mention, since I'm famous for overlooking the simplest of things have you actually replaced or checked the pressure release of the radiator cap? I'm not going to go read the whole thread but guess you probably did lol.

I'm starting to suspect on my truck, because it never warms up that it's the coolant temperature sender or sensor as it's called. It all just goes on doesn't it? on and on lol

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals