• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Searching for 87 2.0 Fuel level sending unit (mechanical pump)

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm having a pita of a time hunting for this sending unit. I bought the truck with I believe 88k original miles but it's been sitting for a couple of years and I'm going through things to bring it back up to par.

I plan to rebuild the carb, and replace everything else on back, including the tank with holes, and the sending unit which also has a hole or two and a lot of rust. I've been searching ebay, parts sites, and forums in search but I'm not sure of the part number and need to ask if anyone knows where I'd start for that number without having the sending unit in hand?

P.S.- Also realize that RPS forums are no more? :sad: I've been away so long

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This might be something you have to end up making by getting the whole low pressure pump assembly off a 2.3/2.9 truck and removing the pump, and replacing it with some line down to the strainer.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Just because the metal is rusty does not mean it is defective. It is worth connecting it to the gauge and moving the float manually after cleaning it up to remove loose stuff.
It will be bathed in fuel once installed, and not have as much tendency to corrode.
IOW, make sure it's broken before taking the time to replace it given it's made of hens teeth(or unobtainium).
tom

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This might be something you have to end up making by getting the whole low pressure pump assembly off a 2.3/2.9 truck and removing the pump, and replacing it with some line down to the strainer.
That's what I was considering as well. Then I'd have to also obtain a pigtail to switch over and such. None of this being a major task, but I was hoping to keep it original'ish ya know?

As far as just replacing it all willy nilly though. I don't want it to fail or become a problem down the road. It literally has holes rusted into the pickup tube, so I suspect even if I clean it and avoid producing more holes, patching those is a gamble depending on what substance I use to patch them that would actual resist years of gas and ethanol. I intend to restore and sell the truck and put the funds toward my supercabs but I don't want it to give anyone else trouble down the road.

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
I went through the same issue with my 87. I ended up ordering the BrII part number. Then modifying it by cutting the ring off the original unit and welding it on to the new unit. The BRII unit has a smaller diameter ring due to the small opening in the tank. I then bent the drop tube with a pipe bender to match the original.

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got super lucky, though little more than I wanted to spend on used, I found one on ebay. Snatched it up and awaiting arrival along with all the parts from advance so I can pretty much restore this thing and have it up to par. :icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals