• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power loss when warmed up.

Rangermilitia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, for the m
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My ranger runs kick ass in the first initial start up untill i drive about 15 minutes. then it feels like the timing is way off and i have no pick up. everything is up to spec as far as timing goes. i have a replaced tfi module, Coolant Temp sensor, idle air controll, TPS, MAP. so now i have a break out box and want to know if anyone has a lead as to what i should look for as far the problem goes. also no codes continuios or memory....

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger runs kick ass in the first initial start up untill i drive about 15 minutes. then it feels like the timing is way off and i have no pick up. everything is up to spec as far as timing goes. i have a replaced tfi module, Coolant Temp sensor, idle air controll, TPS, MAP. so now i have a break out box and want to know if anyone has a lead as to what i should look for as far the problem goes. also no codes continuios or memory....
things to consider
how about the o2 sensor??..this should kick in after being up to temp

What about the catalytic converters....are they resent? or aged?

is spout plug back in place? (for setting base timing)

What fuel pressure after it is warm?

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
once the engine warms up are you hearing any valve train noise? also, does the engine ever backfire when it is running like this?

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it still run ok - no missing etc? Mine acted sort of like that - turned out to be stuck caliper pistons after I drove a while and got them heated up.

Rangermilitia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, for the m
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o2 sensor is replaced, spout plut is in, catalytic converter is stock.. doesnt miss fire and i do hear minor valve train noise when warmed up.. and fuel pressure is good

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
o2 sensor is replaced, spout plut is in, catalytic converter is stock.. doesnt miss fire and i do hear minor valve train noise when warmed up.. and fuel pressure is good
the 1st thing that sprung to mind was that the Catalytic converter is plugged & after it gets warmed up they suffer the performance.

How new is it?? the Catalytic converter that is

it might be the compression is getting weak too.

G8RB8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is doing the same thing. I picked it up a week ago, and I've driven it probably 200 miles total since. I just put in a larger TB, 180 degree Tstat, and cleaned up the intakes and it helped a little bit, but I still have it occur after about 15-20 mins (though not nearly as drastic). Mine needs some exhaust work badly, the muffler and tailpipes are rusted, and I'm betting the cat and/or O2 sensor is going to be the culprit. I'm going to have them looked at/changed here in the next few weeks, I'll let you know if that solves it

G8RB8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic

I hear a little valve train noise when mine warms up too, but I had a 1990 Ranger a while back that was twice as loud in the valve area, and never had a problem like this

Rangermilitia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, for the m
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
good bye catalytics..

ya i'm now thinking that i'm just going to cut out the cat.. i think thats the culprit. let me know how yours comes out

Nez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
TFI- Lack of Power

This site is great! I have just installed a Remote TFI Module on the Passenger Side Inner fender of my 90 Ranger because it ran terrible after the first 15 min or so. My sons and I had trouble finding a Heatsink so I Milled one using a Briggs & Stratton 8HP Cylinder Head. Workes Great! We have some other issues we are working on but the Truck is running stronger. Infact, I have owned it for 4 years now and it has never ran so strong.

I noticed that the TFI gets extremely hot on it's own not to mention the engine heat from the Distributer Mounting.

Today, my boys and I are going to get a spare heater blower fan which I will install on the HeatSink to keep it even cooler.

Last edited:

Nez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's real pretty Nez! I'm wondering why millions of others work right where Ford put em..and yours doesn't?
Big JIm

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SEE! I'm not to old to learn! Told ya..
Big JIm

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Cutting out the CAT isn't going to do much. All its going to do is make the vehicle illegal to drive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals