• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I tell what engine I have?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
From what I read here, you can't bore a Pinto 2.0 out to 2.3, but a Ranger 2.0 block is just an under-bored 2.3.

My other block is a Ranger 2.0.

I'll have to go re-read the sticky! :icon_thumby:

Edit: All I saw in the sticky is where it said 2.0 is an under-bored 2.3.
I think it was Mark that said a Pinto 2.0 can't be bored to 2.3L because the side walls would be too thin. (= different block).
I think I mentioned the block differences a while ago but I didn't realize the difference of pre 89 2.3 engines...dang...means I can't stroke my 87 block...ah, well, I was kinda hoping to score a later model like the 96 with an M5OD-R1 transmission...

you can't throw a 2.5 crank in a 2.0 block or any pre '89 2.3 block for that matter, the 2.5's are small journal.
Good point...I don't remember ever seeing anyone mention this previously...thanks...now the search can be narrowed down for my application...:)

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Good information to know before I go out on wild goose chase for nothing! (I have been known to do that!)

It's ok, a strong 2.3L will still be way more than I have now. Hell, a weak 2.3 would way more than what I have now ;)

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So just to clarify, a 2.0 Ranger block is a different casting from a 2.3 Ranger block, and can not be bored to 2.3 spec, right? I apologize if I am misinformed on this topic and have passed on incorrect information.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This is from the sticky-

Blocks-
2.0 is an underbored 2.3, with the exception of the bore the blocks are identical to all
2.3’s

The only question I would have at this point is is the Mustang block the same as the Ranger block.

If it is, then I can use the 2.0 I have (Ranger) and build it right. Even if I can't bore the Ranger block out to 2.3, I could still bore it out some and balance it. To me, there's nothing like a balanced engine!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The mustang 2.3 and ranger 2.3 are the same engine...the ranger went to an 8 plug head a few years before the mustang...

I wouldn't advise boring the 2.0 but you can have it honed when replacing rings and pistons...there may even be a forged piston for the 2.0 but not sure...but you don't need those unless you plan to some day used forced induction...and even then only if going over 5 psi...or so...

If you are planning on any short block work I would suggest find a 2.3 and over bore it...add new pistons and rings...maybe shave the head a bit...then drop a 4 plug head on it that has been reworked...maybe even put a slightly longer duration cam...but that's about it...

I guess if you want to use what you have then there is a bit of limitation...

When I obtained a 2.3 short block to replace my 2.0 I had them side by side...I was poking around checking the differences when I happened to put my hand on the 2.0 piston...I was able to actually move the piston side to side when it was at TDC...every one of them had quite a bit of wobble...I did the same to the 2.3 and the pistons did not budge at all...

This told me the 2.0 was severely worn...and I was quite happy to put the 2.3 in its place...

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mark, I'll freshen up the 2.3 and be happy!
A bit of good news on my parts buying. I told you the guy "changed" his mind and wanted to keep the turbo. When I went back to get the engine, I said he ought to give me something in place of the turbo. He said what do you want?
I'll take that pressure plate -says I.
I just looked it up- low price, $300 -high price, $1000. It's for a 911 Porsche. I don't know what he had it for (and neither did he).
So, I'll let it pay for all the stuff I got!!!

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mark, when you can wiggle the pistons in the bores by hand, your motor is definitely in a bad way. My 2.0 was .060 over when I got it, which tells me it was likely rebuilt more than once, probably 3 times, in the 200k that I believe are on it. I do not believe any forged pistons are available off the shelf for the 2.0. I looked at one time. You can get pistons made at fairly reasonable prices should you decide you want to.
Itlives, great deal on the pressure plate. Good luck selling it. Sounds like it could pay for the whole engine you purchased plus the extra block you need.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
yeah, they were well past their "best before date"...:)

Not sure about the forged pistons either but anything is possible these days...with enough money and time we can build anything...

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mark- I don't know if you're movie buff, but you should watch "The Worlds Fastest Indian" if you haven't seen it. Anthony Hopkins stars as the guy that set the world land speed record on an Indian (motorcycle). Great movie!
It starts out with him making his own pistons.
True story

Why do advise against boring out the 2L if it's the same block?

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
++++++++++++

Mark- I don't know if you're movie buff, but you should watch "The Worlds Fastest Indian" if you haven't seen it. Anthony Hopkins stars as the guy that set the world land speed record on an Indian (motorcycle). Great movie!
It starts out with him making his own pistons.
True story

Why do advise against boring out the 2L if it's the same block?
That is a VERY GOOD movie!:icon_hornsup:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I got the head off my engine. Just in case there's a visible difference in the n/a pistons and turbo pistons, here's a picture of the top off mine. Can anyone tell if they are n/a ?

Wrong pic -duh

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
yep, they're dished...at least they look dished...the 2.0 and 2.3 are both flat head pistons...maybe a slight indent on them where the valves would meet but otherwise flat...

John Smith

Reaction score
if i may jump in ..

yep, they're dished...at least they look dished...the 2.0 and 2.3 are both flat head pistons...maybe a slight indent on them where the valves would meet but otherwise flat...
they are definatley turbo pistons. Hopefully they are original Ford forged, and if so if they are not damaged..someone may pay you something for them. 8.0 compression will not run great unless turbo'ed. I would mic' the holes to see what bore they are...if the rings aren't scored..it's has value as is..

mornin' Mark..

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I guess I need to take the block apart this weekend and check sizes on everything. Does anyone have a recommended brand of kit to buy.

Guess I'll have some turbo parts to sell soon. I don't want this to drag out!

John Smith

Reaction score
at the risk of offering TOO much info..

Ok, I guess I need to take the block apart this weekend and check sizes on everything. Does anyone have a recommended brand of kit to buy.

Guess I'll have some turbo parts to sell soon. I don't want this to drag out!
too bad you aren't near someone with a NA running engine for sale or trade etc....instead of taking that apart and interrupting the seating rings..etc...the bore is most likely standard...you could take a bearing cap off and tell what bearing you have.,

All Turbo blocks are large journal crank, (if the block has has a turbo oil drain hole)...

if someone would want the pistons it would be best to leave them connected to rods etc...those pistons are hard to find and are no longer available from FORD...There are aftermarket non-forged dished pistons out there so finding out what you have would be good...clean a top of the piston w wd40 and see if it has any markings...

Anyway...those heads (actual turbo'ed) are rare uncracked, so if it's all been done..it's kewl...and it would be great used on flat top pistons..

i wouldn't buy a kit for that motor,,I would piece together what you need...
but first decide what you're going to do for pistons and rods..

to run a carb..or even EFI, you will want flat tops though..
that may be a good engine to use as a turbo'ed install for someone..

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals