• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no injector pulse

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
got a 86 ranger super 4x4 i hooked up a noid light and have no injector pulse i replaced the distibuter the haleffect and the controll module and the computer it has good fuel presure at the rail just no pulse none into the motor any ideas i love the truck but i am getting mad enough to scrap it it ran fine just neaded a trans put the trans in and a new feul pump ran fine for a day and died replaced everything i listed and still wont run but does run on starting fluid but as soon as it is gone dead put on 3 different control modules did nothing rebuild the distributer nothing put in a new one nothing computer works in my dads bronco 2 with same setup ... any ideas were to look what to try a sencer some were pehaps i looked in my book for it and the computer the control modul and the distributer is the only thing in the circute for the injector ??? please same me from putting her down any info or idea will help

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it runs on starting fluid, it's a FP problem, not ignition.

Check the fuel pressure, 12v on both inertia switch pins(connected), and Fuel Pump(s).

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ir has good pressure and the inertia switch is hard wired i checked the fuel flow as well it is all in spec but the injectors will not fire there is no electrical charge to them at all .... it is not fuel pressure or valume

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
ir has good pressure and the inertia switch is hard wired i checked the fuel flow as well it is all in spec but the injectors will not fire there is no electrical charge to them at all .... it is not fuel pressure or valume
Is this manual or auto tranny???

has the safety neutral switch been checked

might also be missing a ground some where?? back of the head perhaps, or the ground near the ECM

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it has the ground on the back of the head and the one by the ecm and all clean and a good ground on the 02 sencer it has a 5 speed out of an 89 and the nutral safty switch is good cuz it crancks over

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
went back through and re checked all grounds under hood all of them are good . anyone have a clue what to look at next????

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Check and see if your getting 12V to the injectors. If the PCM isn't pulsing them (negative pulse) you should see 12V on both sides of the injector coil.

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i am going to check this out ether today or tomarrow when it stops raining (i have to work on it out side) .... were does the 12v come from so i can chase it back the other way if i dont have it??? is it one of the fusable links on the starter silinoid

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i am going to check this out ether today or tomarrow when it stops raining (i have to work on it out side) .... were does the 12v come from so i can chase it back the other way if i dont have it??? is it one of the fusable links on the starter silinoid
Check your PMs.

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
PMs what and were is that

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Check and see if your getting 12V to the injectors. If the PCM isn't pulsing them (negative pulse) you should see 12V on both sides of the injector coil.
My '89 2.9l Ranger had the above problem...it turned out to be some corroded pins in the injector harness connector....after cleaning the pins & the female contacts well, the injectors worked again.

Hope your fix is as easy...

EDIT: Never pressure-wash an older engine...it really messes up the wiring connectors

Last edited:

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
could the eec relay make it not get a 12v on the conectors

tommy182018

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it has the 12 volts at the injector plug and at the injectors them selves all my relays are good and still nead some more ideas

johnnymac09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had this same problem on my 89 ranger 2.9l. It turned out to be a faulty MAP Sensor. The MAP Sensor is located on the firewall just left of the engine. It will have an electrical plug and a vacuum line plugged into it. Try just disconnecting the electrical, when I did that, the computer ran off a base line and the truck fired right up. I replaced the sensor and all was good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals