• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Model kit builders?

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am in to them it is awesome... I like the gas and electric rcs..... but what gets me about the detail with the plastic models, some have running engines running lights I mean its like a real minature running vehical.... and heck with some of the rs its the same freaking way.... down the the sound of the real car....

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I did till I got this girlfriend.. I can freehand flames and get down to using brushes with half a dozen fibers to pinstripe them.. I built a rat rod with a 302 with a blower, 27 model t kit, and the plastic that the parts come on to build the 4 link suspension and all.. I have a 55 chevy truck that is lifted, I built an exo-cage on it, and did a copper/ silver paint job.. I sure miss going to the county fair and seeing the first place tags on my models

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I came home from work one day and told my wife I bought another Explorer. (this would have been vehicle #9) She started bitching about all the other cars i owned, till I showed it to her....

That was 4 years ago, I still havent even opened the box.

bodkin1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have a couple of metal bodied 1:24 scale kits, a '55 Thunderbird and Smokey and the Bandit '77 Trans Am from many years back.

Pix when I get back home tomorrow.

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm surprised nobody here is in to plastic model kits.

My generation, kids made plastic model kits. I guess the newer generations play video games.
Im the new generation and I build plastic models!
Its a fun way to kill a few hours :icon_thumby:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Man, I haven't built one in years... I miss it for sure. Never really seem to have the time, I spend so much of it working for money or building the 1:1 scale stuff anymore. Every day I get to look at what's waiting for me though...

I have more than what's on that shelf too... I have a big box full of them... I probably have 15-20 kits to build. Part of it too is that I don't really have any place to set up and work on it either. I did a little building of them when I was younger, then I got into model railroading and built a small layout, started kitbashing buildings and customizing rail cars and all. Now I haven't done anything but add to the collection once in a great while of things I have to build.

But for all that, I did build some...

USS New Jersey

F-14 Tomcat

Supposed to be a German Maruader III mobile anti-tank gun, but when you search for the MIII pictures, you find that it doesn't look anything like it....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I refound this model of a highly modified Corellian Engineering Coorporation YT-1300F/P hybrid in storage... you may have seen it in a couple movies (four to be exact) Thinking I might force myself to make this my winter project. I was looking it up on the internet and I found a website that makes more realistic parts for it and it kinda got me thinking about going all the way, weathering and maybe lighting the cockpit too.

Somewhere in the last 10-15 years that I have had it I lost the instructions, never fear for I have the Haynes repair manual to go with it. :yahoo: (and the instructions are available on the internet :D)

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used to build models ALL the time when I was a kid. Then I discovered video games, works and girlfriends. Since then I've only dabbled in it a few times, never finishing anything. I loose interest too quickly anymore (plus at that time, my kids CONSTANTLY bugged me to help, so I stopped, they were too young to help anyhow). So now I'm slowly getting my son into it with some snap togetther star wars ships. I have a monster truck kit gathering dust until I can get a work area setup.....somewhere. But I still have many many kits to put together: '64.5 mustang conv., '70's boss 302, '89(?) mustang GT conv, '57 Chevy Bel Air, Uncle Toms(?) Pie Wagon, Cobra Mustang my wife started but royally screwed up the paint job, P38(?) Lightning, Metal Body Dodge Ram (bought it YEARS ago with a trailer for the same color Viper, was gonna paint the white stripes on, never did). Possibly countless more.... I've been itching to do a custom old pickup street truck.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used to build models up until high school. I had the walls in my room just covered with planes, tanks, ships & cars. I never dreamed all of that model building would turn into a profession. For 10 years I was a high-tech electronics company's prototype model builder for presentation to OEM clients. I learned a ton of things there. Then about 18 years ago I started up a H.O. scale parts supply house making and molding cars bodies thru resin casting.

Currently I make and offer water-slide decals, cool wheels & tires, restoration bumpers, glass, drivers, etc. all for H.O. slot cars. I also make custom bodies for H.O. slots as well. I'm tired of a few things but overall I think I'll still be doing this as long as the economy holds up. If you want to see some H.O. slot cars, you can go to my site Road Race Replicas link
FYI, H.O. is smaller than 1/64

So, keep puttin' those models together, ya just never know what will come out of it.

Last edited:

dohc-bird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 mark viii
Make / Model
93 t-bird
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I usually do a bunch in the winter to help my winter depression I've only held on to 7 and have sold off the rest. I prefer cars and trucks can't see myself getting into boats or planes

Last edited:

dohc-bird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 mark viii
Make / Model
93 t-bird
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic

Last edited:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Ive kind of mixed my old model building skills with my RC passion...
These are both Losi Micro crawlers mixed with 1/24 models

The BIG FORD...

I did the frame with a sub-frame, added the interior/motor, and painted it up like an old F-250 i used to own. The tires are caleed Q-lo's off another RC crawler
The Crawler Courier(sp?)

The little FORD was my first modded model/RC. I extended the rear links, added aluminum knuckles and one piece rear axles, and a high torque mini steering servo. The tires are old So Real tires and are a little hard, but fit the build....

Lee in Texas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
I'm into it. Lots of different subjects. Right now I'm working on a 1/35 railway gun. I really wish there was a kit or even a diecast of a first-gen Ranger.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When y'all paint your plastic models, do you hit it with a base coat too or just slap some color and clear on it and call it a day? Just curious

Lee in Texas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
Primer? Yes. I like Tamiya lacquer in spray cans. They have 2 different primers; grey and white. Follow that with some color and then clear. Let it cure, then polish it out. Follow that with Novus plastic polish using new flannel cloth. I've gotten mirror finishes with spray cans like this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals