• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Change

2.3LRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys i own a 99 ford ranger ext cab 4.0L and was wondering a decent oil for my truck bought it with 131k and its got 135k now

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
For the most part oil is oil. It doesn't really matter which brand you choose. The important thing is changing it regularly. If you simply change it every 5k miles, the engine will outlive the rest of the truck, no matter which brand you use.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Ditto on the above. I use quaker state normally.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
i disagree with the "oil is oil" statement above. if oil was oil, there wouldn't be half a million different oil types available at your local parts store. I'm a big fan of Valvoline Max Life. its a synthetic blend with a few extras thrown into the mix. It has some detergents to keep things clean, it softens seals to lengthen their lives, etc...

It's what i use in my truck, and what I sell to my customers.

A quality filter is just as important as the oil. stay away from Fram, K&N and Driveworks. Use a Motorcraft if it's available, if not look for Bosch or Purolator.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My choices:

Highly recommend sticking with a Motorcraft filter

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i disagree with the "oil is oil" statement above. if oil was oil, there wouldn't be half a million different oil types available at your local parts store. I'm a big fan of Valvoline Max Life. its a synthetic blend with a few extras thrown into the mix. It has some detergents to keep things clean, it softens seals to lengthen their lives, etc...

It's what i use in my truck, and what I sell to my customers.

A quality filter is just as important as the oil. stay away from Fram, K&N and Driveworks. Use a Motorcraft if it's available, if not look for Bosch or Purolator.
At such high mileages its recommended not to suddenly switch to synthetic. You could start leaking oil out of quite a few places. and OP has 135k miles on er.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
At such high mileages its recommended not to suddenly switch to synthetic. You could start leaking oil out of quite a few places. and OP has 135k miles on er.
Mythology right there. Even if it were true maxife is a sythetic blend, not a full synthetic.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have ~175000 and I only use synthetic, and I bought the truck a year ago. Are you saying that the small rear main leak is only cause I started using synthetic and not cause of the mileage?

Synthetic oil is made to out perform dino oil in every way. It lasts longer and will lower you engines friction level more than regular oil can. The leaks that come with a switch are caused by the way synthetic is made. Synthetic oil has a small charge, therefore if your engine already had a small leak the synthetic oil is pulled through the gasket. Dyno oil wont do this since it has no charge and isn't pulled through the gasket. Do some research before you spread more mysticism about something.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Fwiw i run it in my psd with over 363000 miles on it and it loves it!

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Mythology or not why the hell should I spend so much money on synthetic when im swapping oil every 5k miles? My step father runs Quaker state Regular 5w-20 for 8-10k miles between changes and it comes out fine.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Because synthetic is better for your engine. That's why.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh great reason. And all the engines people run up to 300k miles without synthetic. Explain those?

How about the 50+ year old tractors on our farm we don't run synthetic in that are still working fine and see more stress in one year than majority of vehicles on the road see in 10. Synthetic has its benefits. But when I'm changing my oil every 5k miles why should I bother with the money? When I bought my truck I asked about oil and they said I could run any brand as long as it had the correct weight and proper change intervals and it wouldn't void my warranty. That was straight from the tech. Ford doesn't even use a full synthetic oil. Its a semi synthetic.

I just never bought into all the oil hype. My familys run many many many vehicles into the ground from rust and never used synthetic oil. Hundreds of thousands of miles. Myself, I've owned only 4 vehicles so far but never had a problem with quaker state. what I WOULD like to try is the Valvoline NextGen. But its damn expensive.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Oh great reason. And all the engines people run up to 300k miles without synthetic. Explain those?

How about the 50+ year old tractors on our farm we don't run synthetic in that are still working fine and see more stress in one year than majority of vehicles on the road see in 10. Synthetic has its benefits. But when I'm changing my oil every 5k miles why should I bother with the money? When I bought my truck I asked about oil and they said I could run any brand as long as it had the correct weight and proper change intervals and it wouldn't void my warranty. That was straight from the tech. Ford doesn't even use a full synthetic oil. Its a semi synthetic.

I just never bought into all the oil hype. My familys run many many many vehicles into the ground from rust and never used synthetic oil. Hundreds of thousands of miles. Myself, I've owned only 4 vehicles so far but never had a problem with quaker state. what I WOULD like to try is the Valvoline NextGen. But its damn expensive.
^^This is why I said as long as you change it regularly, it doesn't matter what you use, as long as it's the correct viscosity. There are millions of engines with well over 200k miles on them using nothing but the cheapest conventional oil.

Some engines (not Ranger engines) REQUIRE synthetic, because either the automaker specifies long oil change intervals, or the engine gets the oil really hot and synthetic handles the high heat better. In those cases of course you should use synthetic.

If your engine does NOT require synthetic (Ranger engines): If you plan on going over 7k miles between oil changes, or if you're beating the hell out of the truck in extremely high or extremely low temperatures, you should use synthetic. Otherwise it is not needed, and it will NOT help your engine last longer.

If you would just like to think that it WILL give you some benefit and want to use synthetic anyway just for some peace of mind (which is why I use it), then I suppose that qualifies as another legitimate reason to use it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be using full synthetic. Is it required? God no, does the engine like it better? Yes.

It's like pizza, is pepperoni necessary? Nope not at all. Do I like it better with pepperoni? Hell yeah I do.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
i use castrol syntek. seems to be working for me. been using it since the truck had 110,000 on it. now has 130,000.
with synthetic lubercant, you dont really need to change ever 5000 miles. i change mine about every 7500, and it still comes out nice and clean with alot of properties still in the lube.
hence i dont have to change lubricant as often. it actually works out about the same thru the year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals