• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 Wheel Drive Not Working/Engaging

Stevo0687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all!

I have a 1994 Ranger Supercab XLT 4X4. It has automatic locking hubs. When I push the dash button the light comes on, I can hear the "computer" click, and the transfer case engages. When I push the low button it goes into low I can't go over 15mph in second gear. Everything seems to be fine as far as the transfer case engaging goes.

The problem appears to be in the hubs. They are not locking in. We took them off today and everything looks fine. Nothing looks broken. We cleaned every thing up very good and reinstalled them and it didn't help. They still won't lock. When we had the hubs off, we were able to push the "spring" in on the hubs with screwdrivers and see that they will lock when pushed out into the hub. I guess they just aren't being pushed in to engage. Like I said everything looks good and we cleaned it up. Any ideas as to what and where the problem could be. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your hubs may not be functioning properly, but they will not limit your speed to 15MPH.

try this: jack the front end up so both wheels are off the ground. with the transfer case in 2wd, grab the front drive shaft and rotate it by hand. the hubs should both click in and the front tires should start spinning. if so, start spinning the drive shaft the opposite direction. the hubs should unlock, then re-lock in the opposite direction.

if this works, then your hubs are functioning properly.

Stevo0687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
About the 15 mph think, I'm just saying it seems that putting the truck in 4X4 Low changes the gears for the back like is should and that the transfer case seems to engage fine, but the hubs don't lock.

As far as seeing if the hubs function properly, we've had the truck up on jack stands and know that they are not locking in. That is the problem. But we don't know why they aren't locking in.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if the hubs are known to be junk, then replace them. you cant buy parts to repair them and they arent worth your time anyway.

if your interested, converting to manual hubs is a huge upgrade in strength and reliability.

Stevo0687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How do I know which hubs will work for my Ranger. Its a 1994 XLT Supercab. I see for Dana 60, Dana 75, etc...any ideas or how I can find out...

I'm looking at warn or superwinch manual locking hubs...

I see the link above about getting the conversion kit very cheap but it sounds like it may be a little out of date with old part numbers. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get the conversion kit...is there still a way around buying the "kit" or just getting the parts separately? How about the cheapest place for hubs?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Stevo0687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. It will help knowing that I want for the Dana 35.

Is there still a way around the conversion kit?? Or do I just have to search for the cheapest place for the kit?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
get it from the junkyard.

Stevo0687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I replace the hubs tonight. Everything works great again. I got Superwinch manual hubs with the spindle nut kit for $222.82 shipped.

I took 45 minutes to drive home in the snow yesterday (first good snow of the season here) in 2 wheel drive. I could've really used the 4 wheel drive. I got home to see my parts had arrived. lol

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
better late than never :icon_twisted:

glad all is well now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals