• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In need of tire advice.

mawz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so in your opinion is it truly better just to get the extra set as I'm getting married soon and a garage might be in the future, although I'd probably buy some nice ones for the summer and keep my stock ones for winter since their flaking.
In snow country yeah, proper winter tires are really worth it. I'm actually pretty much in the same boat (apartment dweller running a 2WD truck in snow country). A 2WD truck is in a lot of ways just about the worst snow vehicle out there, sandbags help a bunch but as you've found you still slip & slide without chains or winter tires and you don't want to be running chains if you are on bare pavement much, they're dirt/gravel/snow only.

Right now I've got all-seasons on my truck as its in storage for the next month or so, with my snow tires in storage. Eventually I'll be running A/T's for the summer and snow tires for winter, although the snow tires are overkill for Toronto proper (it's not that snowy here, but I regularly head north where I'll need them). I do need to get a second set of rims though, so I can leave my snow tires mounted.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i have 2 sets of tires/wheels. my "summer" set are the stock alloys that came with the truck and they currently running uniroyal liberator tires (from wal-mart) there good for the non-snow time and have a high load & treadwear rating. they are best for dry pavement though, they like to slide on wet pavement and ive tried them off-road before, not good in the dirt if its wet at all. my winter set is only ran from nov-march. they are a set of 15x7 steel rims from a '01 jeep wrangler. the tires on them are from pep boys, formerly known as the dakota futura, now known as definity dakota at-2. they have a real similar tread pattern like the bfg a/t. i just got a set a few weeks ago, they didnt have the "P" version of the tire in stock so i went with the "LT" version (6 ply insted of 4) they were kind of expensive though, about $140 a tire. but theyve been awesome in the snow for me, have a 50,000 treadwear rating and dont howl at you like a bias mud tire does. both sets are the stock size of 235-75-15. id run the dakota's year round but like to keep my good-looking alloys out of the salt they use in the winter. you might consider adding a limited slip differential to your rear end. having both rear tires pulling for you rather than just one could help things out a bit.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and built like a tank
Transmission
Automatic
The tire rack guy just said keep my stock size more hassal than it's worth and I would lose the handling I love, and get either a second set, which would be nice but there's that whole price time space thing.Funny for having to work dumb hours, I don't get paid a lot.Or just roll with some mild at/highways like the grabbers or Goodyear wranglers. According to them an inch in height wouldn't even really make my truck sit higher.So probably going to do one of those two. thanks for your time and commits and advice.

anyone also know where to get an performance exhaust system(cat back) for my truck can't find one with the 7foot bed and all.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dude you would be perectly fine with bigger tires don't listen to the tire rack guy haha. I agree that the duratrac's are a good tire

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and built like a tank
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it would mess with my backspacing and braking, and for what I would gain I would lose more. Just gonna get the generals and see how they do. I'm curious though what the smart car going through 10 inches of snow was using because that guy was doing about 30 faster than everyone. That or hes just insane, oh yeah it's a smart car so probably just insane.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals