• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I tell what engine I have?

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about that intake. I'm not sure if they were still doing it in 87, but in the 80's ford actually had some setups where they were carbureting through the turbo. That is to say that the air/fuel mixture exited the carburetor, and then went through the turbo and into the intake manifold. I can't tell you much about the that setup, as far as whether or not the 87 motor would have it or whether the intake manifold would be different from a non turbo manifold. Also, I have read that turbo heads are often cracked. This is a thread I came across on another forum -link-and this is an article by circle track-link- paragraphs 3-6 have some things to look for.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, have the head tested for cracks...if it is new then it should be fine...magnaflux testing is only about $50 but it is worth it...

I looked into the carbed turbo...only increases HP by about 25 or so...wasn't worth the effort from what I could see...but...stroking the 2.3 block to a 2.5 would help on the trailer pulling...

My ideal engine for my application would be a stroked 2.3 with forged pistons and turbo...but I think I would limit it to about 10 - 15 psi so as not to give me a reason to get speeding tickets...lol

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the head is new and the guy just has everything mocked up to show it. He hasn't ever had it together and running.
I'm going to take my friend over there to check it out.

If I get it, do you think anyone here would want the turbo (and intake, if I can't use it).

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm sure you could find someone interested...find out what it was off of...if it was a turbo coupe or XR4Ti or SVO mustang...they are similar but not the same from certain years...the 88 Turbo Coupe had an intercooler if I recall correctly...and not sure what year they started that..but it's probably posted in the turbo section here or elsewhere...

Once you know the details you could advertise it on here in the parts for sale section...as long as it is in working order...just a matter of price and shipping...

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be interested if it is a T3. It is more likely an IHI though, if it is an 87. Someone will want it either way.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm supposed to go back today. I'll take some pics. I remember the guy said something about SVO Mustang.
I'm taking a friend that knows a lot more than I do about these. he used to race dirt-track with Pinto's.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The new organ is here but not ready for the transplant - yet.

The adapter plate fits!

The head looks brand new! The cam isn't broke in yet. It (cam) has the numbers 1229 on it. Does that mean anything to anyone? The bottom end will have to be looked at before I put the engine in the VW.

There's a BIG difference between the 2.0 intake and the 2.3 turbo intake.

Can I put a carb on the EFI turbo intake?

The box between the two intakes says "Kent Cams" the number is CF12 and it is cam followers for 1600-2000. Any body need these? I also have a pressure plate that looks like a racing part. It is German made, I'll have to get the numbers off it tomorrow.

The guy decided to keep the turbo. I have the part that goes between the turbo and the intake.

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mark- After thinking about this awhile, I realize I'm going to have to get all the way into the engine. I'm sure the compression will have to be changed.

So, if I find a 2.5 crank (what years am I looking for?), do I use the same rods or the rods and pistons that come with the crank?

I've looked and can't really find this information...

Still no answer on the carb to EFI intake :sad:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The 2.5 crank is apparently the same...the rods are a bit longer...but if you contact NAPA or other parts dealer they can give you the details. The sticky at the top of this forum goes into a bit more detail about the differences between the 2.5 and 2.3 engines.

And you are right about the compression. I heard that the turbo engine doesn't work well with a carb due to the higher compression ratio...but it can be done because when I saw your post with the pics I searched and found a few references to EFI to carb on a turbo motor. Wasn't a great deal of detail but one post did talk about the carb (Holley 750 or something).

You can use the bottom end of the turbo with a 2.0 or 2.3 head though...if the bottom end is good...if it's been bored over that's OK too...but it looks like the head was rebuilt...so I'd be tempted to use that if possible.

Not sure about using the turbo intake...I'm sure there is an adapter out there that will work or you can have one made...but if you can find an 86 EFI intake that is supposed to be the best from this line of engines...next would be the one I have or the OMC boat intake...there are others but finding them in the junkyard might be a challenge.

Edit: Just read another post by Scotts90Ranger and he says he is not that familiar with carbs...I will try to find a link to that post I was reading...but if you want to search on "turbo to carb" you will probably find the same using Google...

Last edited:

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Get the crank,rods and pistons from the 2.5(98-01).Compression in a 2.5 is 9.5-1,a little high for a street driven ride but you can get different thickness head gaskets.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could get the pistons dished provided there is enough material in the crown. Shouldn't cost too much. Be sure to break that cam in right. As you may know already, those things can be easy to kill.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestion upnsmoke. I think what I'm going to do is get pistons and rings for the 2.3L N/A and use them in this block.
Then, once I'm up and running, I'll take the 2.0L and bore it out to 2.3L , look for a 2.5 L crank,rods an pistons and take my time and build it right.

You guys have been invaluable to me in this project. I tried a couple of Mustang sites but they just didn't "feel" like this one.

I see how these engines are so popular. I had several people tell me I sould go bigger in my truck but I don't see any reason to since this 2.3 with a good carb and headers will have more tourque and almost double the HP as the POS VW engine!
No more aircooled for me!
If you want to see how I'm setting up the radiator, here's a link-
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=138764

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestion upnsmoke. I think what I'm going to do is get pistons and rings for the 2.3L N/A and use them in this block.
Then, once I'm up and running, I'll take the 2.0L and bore it out to 2.3L , look for a 2.5 L crank,rods an pistons and take my time and build it right.

You guys have been invaluable to me in this project. I tried a couple of Mustang sites but they just didn't "feel" like this one.

I see how these engines are so popular. I had several people tell me I sould go bigger in my truck but I don't see any reason to since this 2.3 with a good carb and headers will have more tourque and almost double the HP as the POS VW engine!
No more aircooled for me!
If you want to see how I'm setting up the radiator, here's a link-
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=138764
Bear in mind that a 2.0 block can not be bored to 2.3 spec, or so I have read. If you want a separate 2.3 I believe you will have to find another block. That is easy enough, though. I love this forum. I honestly believe that, had I never discovered TRS, my truck would be a worthless pile of junk compared to what has actually become. Who knows, I may not even have it any more. That said, I was a member at Modded Mustangs for a while. Those guys were cool, but the 4 cylinder scene is small there.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Bear in mind that a 2.0 block can not be bored to 2.3 spec, or so I have read.
From what I read here, you can't bore a Pinto 2.0 out to 2.3, but a Ranger 2.0 block is just an under-bored 2.3.

My other block is a Ranger 2.0.

I'll have to go re-read the sticky! :icon_thumby:

Edit: All I saw in the sticky is where it said 2.0 is an under-bored 2.3.
I think it was Mark that said a Pinto 2.0 can't be bored to 2.3L because the side walls would be too thin. (= different block).

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
you can't throw a 2.5 crank in a 2.0 block or any pre '89 2.3 block for that matter, the 2.5's are small journal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals