• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford ranger cold start problem??

Chris Bowles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
when i start my ranger it cranks for like 5 seconds befor it starts and when it does start it like sputters then firers. but it doesnt do it really when its warmed up. like itll start right up when its warm. any one have an i dea of wehat it is. i was thinking maybe a new starter, or spark plugs and wires???? any input on this?

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
when i start my ranger it cranks for like 5 seconds befor it starts and when it does start it like sputters then firers. but it doesnt do it really when its warmed up. like itll start right up when its warm. any one have an i dea of wehat it is. i was thinking maybe a new starter, or spark plugs and wires???? any input on this?
what do you mean by sputters and fires? what I start mine cold it shakes til it warms up but only sometimes

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
maybe your fuel filter needs to be changed?

Chris Bowles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i recently changed the fuel filter. and by sputter and fire up i mean like ill turn the keyy and it takes a while then when it does start it starts but like is in low rpm and sputters a little bit then idles at normal rate and runs fine

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try turning the key to the run position for 5 or 10 seconds to get the fuel pump to build up pressure before starting the engine. It is common for older vehicles to lose fuel pressure overnight. The fuel leaks backward into the fuel tank after a few hours.
Big JIm

Anger Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a problem like that with the Ignition coils once I had a VW. When it rained, the car hesitated, and smelled like gas. Check engine lights, rough idling and low rpms. Everything was like that until.......it warmed up.......I tried many things but then I thought they were the ignition coils because in other forums people had the same exact problems. You might get a new ignition coil or the "epoxy" solution, or warm up your truck earlier when it had rained overnight.
In other words, moist gets inside the coils and cause a misfire and then a "check engine light". When your car warms up, the heat evaporated the moist trapped inside.
For reference google this: "epoxy solution ignition coils jetta", you will be surprised that a lot of people had this problem.
Hope it helped you a bit.

Last edited:

swascott1981

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I have the same problem I'll turn it over it sputters real bad then I'll cut it off and crank it again and its fine anyone know y it does that

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hook a scan tool up to it, see what the CTS (coolant temp sensor) reads.

Start there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals