• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Obd1 beginners class

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Not 2, 3 4.. or .. for this thread.. just 1. I know it's "ancient" tech but seems like I keep getting vehicles that used it!

Over the years many shops and garages have been happy to read codes for us and we'd take it from there or make arrangements for the repair.

Well, I need to start learning to do my own code reading. I'll be picking up a cheap reader. for now.

My first big question is "Limp Mode" I've experienced it in a few vehicles over the years. They suck up gas and really feel like they are "limping" It's upsetting and for me usually sends me home or to the nearest shop LOL

The 94 4.0 manual super cab we picked up 3 weeks ago lit up like a Christmas tree on the dash when I made the 100 mile trip home Sunday (4/15) It did not light up for the first test drive weeks ago and my friend that drove it 100 miles to his house didn't get a lights either.

Hopefully, I'll have some codes to post and we can take it from there. In the meantime, I'm wondering what conditions send an vehicle into limp mode? apparently not all the codes do this.

Thanks gents!
Seems I have another book to "study" lol

I'm not new to plug in analytic devices and flash codes, they've creeped their way into the HVAC business over the past 50 years.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The trick I have learned over the years is that the codes the computer does NOT use are as important as the one it did use.
Pretty much every system operated by the computer will have 4 to 15 codes the computer can pick from, why it chooses one over the others can help you narrow down what the problem might be.

So never google a code number, always look at the whole code list, to see any associated codes the computer did not use.

There are no "0's", zeros, in OBD1 codes, 2 or 3 digit, so not sure where 101 would come from?

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
The trick I have learned over the years is that the codes the computer does NOT use are as important as the one it did use.
Pretty much every system operated by the computer will have 4 to 15 codes the computer can pick from, why it chooses one over the others can help you narrow down what the problem might be.

So never google a code number, always look at the whole code list, to see any associated codes the computer did not use.

There are no "0", zeros, in OBD1 codes, 2 or 3 digit, so not sure where 101 would come from?
Sorry Ron it was meant to mean "beginner class" carpentry 101 Plumbing 101 electrical 101..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oops :)

But looking at ALL the codes is a basic step everyone should use for any OBD system diagnostics

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals