• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to beef up my rear?

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
just bought a slide in/pop-up camper for my '97 4.0. the plan is a x-country trip next month. i brought it home 70 miles, and it actually did ok, but it looks like the rear end is straining. truck has 185k miles on it; probably original shocks. trying to figure out the best way to minimize strain on the suspension. looks like the best thing i've found is a bolt on air suspension like so: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2172F.html.

it needs to be cheap and easy to install--this looks like it would fit the bill, though i'm certainly open to other suggestions. PO said the camper was ~600#, but i think it's more than that, maybe 1000. i'm going to get it weighed soon.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your on the original shocks I would replace those just cause. Then from there, airbags are the only way to go.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The rear axle rating is 2,750#. Keep that in mind when you weigh it. Pretty easy to overload it. Might be fine around town, but cross country, not as good. I don't know what you have, but THIS ONE weighs 1,170#. A 4x4 Ranger is typically 2,000# in the front and 1,400# in the rear. This leaves you about 1,350# of capacity so it won't take much to overload it. Sagging can be dealt with using airbags, but not overloading the axle itself. It's a semi-float so it has smaller bearings and they are both holding the weight and floating the axle shaft. I had an axle bearing fail on a 9" in the middle of Glacier National Park while pulling an overloaded U-Haul trailer on my Honeymoon.

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
hmmm. yeah, that looks similar to mine, though mine is much older and doesn't have a furnace or fridge--i'd imagine mine probably weighs a bit less. either way, it SHOULD be within the capacity of the truck. airbags looked like they'd take the strain off the springs and related components at least. as far as the bearings, looks like it would be a PITA to replace en route--any benefit to just replacing them before hand? i kind of doubt it, but who knows...

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I know this is a little out there... but the explorer 8.8 gives you a little better load rating at 3200lbs. Gives you a couple extra 100lbs of leeway. :E

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that explorer axle looks like the way to go, but it looks like more work than I'll be able to do before I leave. Got weighed today, and came out to be 2680# rear and 2320 up front with a full tank of gas and a 50# dog in the cab...certainly cutting it close. I can't believe that the camper is that heavy--it's pretty basic. Looks like I'll be a little over the gawr no matter how light I pack; guess I'm just going to have to take my chances. Hopefully that gawr is conservative...

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you taken a look at your GVW? I bet you'll be overloaded

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't mind how much did you pay for the camper? I have kinda been looking for one but every time I look they seem to be way pricey.

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
@odie: $1000
@rangersport: no idea. My sticker's gone so I don't know the gvwr. Looks like the gcwr is 6-7k # depending on the diff. Google hasn't helped me with an answer so far...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Double Post!

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, though I'll have to wait till sunday to view it--doesn't work right on my BB. And do those #'s hold for a 97 as well? Replaced the shocks today, and found the source of metal grinding noise from rear--not bearings, which seem to be in good shape, but adjusting spring in drums sheared off and was rubbing. Lastly, I think to cut some weight I'm going to remove the spare and tailgate--should save me 100# anyway. I'll bring a patch kit/compressor and AAA. Probably shouldn't put that much weight on the spare anyway...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would keep the spare if going a long ways, there are still places you won't get cell phone reception out there. It should be a full size spare, capible of whatever your stock tires where.

Does the camper sit on the tailgate? It might need it for support.

Also keep in mind the weight of all the stuff you are bringing along too.

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i haven't taken the spare out--looks like a big spare, but says "50 mph max" on it or whatever. per the manual, it says not to tow anything with it.
camper rests maybe 6" on the gate--i don't think the gate's providing too much support.

yeah, i'm keeping in mind all the weight--hence the attempts at shedding some. i'm trying to get my wife to lose 10# as well :)

seems like i'll be right at both the GAWR and the GVWR (which is, i believe, somewhere between #4920 and 5100#, though i have still been unable to confirm...)

i don't think being over by 1 or 200# is a huge deal, but i don't want to push my luck. and if i don't get phone reception, well, i'll just wait for a passer-by--i'll have a camper, after all...

@will: just reread your post. is the axle bearing different from the wheel bearing?

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
air bags are a good choice, so are the Timbren rubber suspensions. I don't know which is cheaper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals