• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

effects of high flow converters on engine performance

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
how would removing the two main cats and replacing them with a magnaflow high flow on a 2001 4.0 affect the 02 sensors and engine performance? the final sensor is bettween the two main cats. i'd like to remove them to do a custom exhaust for better sound and performance while using a high flow to keep it legal and a flowmaster 40 with dual exits.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
My assumption would be that it will lower low end power, but gain power higher in the rpm. Without dyno numbers comparing before and after though, I am not positive.

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i know it will do that im more talking about it making the computer change the fuel mixture and timing an causing the moter to run badly

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
It shouldn't run poorly, and I am not sure if running a high-flow would throw a CEL or not.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Catalytic converters seldom ever effect performance, especially on normal street engines. If you had a built/stroked v-8, you'd see a difference, but not with a stock 4.0

So, as long as you keep to the same size pipe, it shouldn't effect your performance at all.

Better flowing mufflers however, will make a difference, since stock mufflers can be restrictive, and a good performance muffler can increase flow.

Keep the O2 sensors in the stock location. One in front of the new cat, and one behind. The computer compares the signal to make sure the first cat is doing its job correctly, and if you take one out of the system, then it'll throw a code.

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
ive got a cat BEHIND the last o2 sensor if i delete that one and leave the first is it gonna pop codes?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as long as there is not an o2 behind it you can take it out but I doubt that is the case because all obd 2 vehicles have downstream o2 sensors to measure catalytic efficiency. If I were you I would skip the "high flow" cats and spend your money on a good sounding performance muffler that will actually give you a gain. Basically cats are not all that restrictive but even "performance" cats have to perform the function of reacting with unburnt hydrocarbons so that you dont throw a check engine light. So really the only good high flow cat is no cat at all. However, keep in mind that stock cats only are designed for a theoretical life of 100,000 miles before they start to be less reactive and then they will start to cause o2 sensor codes and poor gas mileage so depending on your trucks mileage you might want to replace them anyways. Just dont get suckered into some super expensive "high flow" model.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi flow cats are cheap, about $65. Cheaper than any stock replacement. It might be a good idea to buy two, and put the 2nd O2 sensor behind the 2nd one, just to make sure it does a good enough job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals