• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing muffler decreasing low end torque?

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My truck was too quiet so i cut out my muffler and i like the sound but have noticed a decrease in acceleration and low end power, is this because of less backpressure? If it is, can i increase the backpressure without quieting the exhaust?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Aircare says you have to run a muffler. So put one on. Cops will give you a VI if you dont, and if you get the shitty one (Box 1 I think?) You have to take it in for a full inspection, which not only costs money but you are basically destined to have something fail.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its probably not the "back pressure" but the reflected pressure when the exhaust valves open at lower RPM.
"Back pressure" is a bad thing, anything that effects emptying a cylinder of all pressure will limit incoming fuel air mix on the intake stroke.

Often headers are tuned for low end OR high end torque, this has to do with the pressure waves that come out of the exhaust valves, at specific RPMs based on displacement, the reflected wave can be used to pull more exhaust out of the cylinder.

In your case you have changed the reflected wave point in the RPM, this should give you slightly more top end torque.
If you want to try and get more low end torque(losing any gained top end torque) then try adding a restricter pipe, smaller pipe to the end, or making your existing pipe longer.

Yes, that is more back pressure, lol.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
With your Cat still installed you have plenty of back pressure.

I think it's more of a sound thing. You are used to the power coming in at one 'pitch' now the sound is throwing off your seat of the pants torque-o-meter.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With your Cat still installed you have plenty of back pressure.

I think it's more of a sound thing. You are used to the power coming in at one 'pitch' now the sound is throwing off your seat of the pants torque-o-meter.
That makes sense lol, and i got 4 cats...

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
I straight piped mine and gotta call from the cops the next day :D. I would recommend putting an MBRP or Flowmaster muffler on it. Trust me, it would sound so much better than no muffler. Plus if you add a aftermarket muffler, they said that it could increase power by a little and still get a sick sounding truck.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
With cats, you should be fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals