• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

please help! 1994 ranger 2.3L, studders and no power

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
so awhile ago my truck all the sudden just started stuttering really bad while i was driving. I dont have an rpm gauge so idk what it reading. but it felt like it was missing really bad. Now all the sudden it dose it all the time. If the car sits for awhile sometimes it will start up ok and then start doing it while im driving. or it will even starts messing up and then stop 20 seconds later. but the last 2 days it has done it none stop. I work alot so i havnt had time to get it looked at. i thought maybe my ICM was bad but i dont wana go spending money when im not sure. The coil packs plugs and wires are all brand new.

So the car stutters really bad. Im pretty sure my rpms are really low. and it smells alot like gas outside my truck. my battery light is on. and so is my check engine light. when i checked it last the code was for a failur in the secondary ignition coil,i replaced those since then thought. they were all cracked up.
Please help. it was running really good and now its running like shit. Any help is greatly apprecited.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
maybe its timing is off? did you check the egr valve? maybe a fouled o2 sensor?

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 2.3 with no power, eh?

Customer described perfectly working 2.3 liter engine. :icon_thumby:

Back on topic, smelling gas usually indicates a misfire or fuel leak. I'm gonna go with misfire since there was an ignition problem.

Do you still have the check engine light? Still have a battery light?

What kind of power is your alternater putting out? Around 14v?

My first guess is that there's not enough power being generated, causing the ignition system to fail. But let's isolate it before we start replacing stuff and jumping to conclusions.

You can check for a misfire by pulling the spark plug boots off of 1 cylinder at time until you find a set of boots that DOESN'T make your engine run worse when you pull them. Now, after the engine's been running recently, pull that plug out and see if it's wet with gas. If it is, that would indicate that bad spark is the cause of the misfire.

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my alternator is kicking out 14 volts. i used a multimeter on the battery while it was running to check it.idk if its putting out enough amps though. yes the battery light and the check engine light is on. i read that the code i threw before was a common thing when the ignition control modual was malfunctioning. i cant remember the code at the moment.
i dont see having a bad O2 sensor making my car run like this but i could be wrong. and idk how to check an egr. i also threw a code that had something to do with it but idk what. ill ry and find were i wrote them down. i wana delete the egr anyway though.

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
also, my car will do this without the battery light on, but never with the check engine light off. it has a rare tendency to run perfect for a short period of time with neither light coming on

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE!

I replaced my ICM (ignition control module)
The car runs great now. Of corse it was raining as well but i managed to have a shit load of fun.
The stuttering stoped. No check engine light. i have alot more power and it starts right up every time.
My battery light is still on but the check engine light is off. i didnt think it had anything to do with it. i think my alternator is just going bad.
Thanks to all of you guys tho

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_thumby:

Glad it's fixed, mate!

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
also. i did the spark plug test and i was only firing on 2 cylinders and the secondary plugs were burning some fuel but hardly any. thats why is smelled like gas so bad.
and the old ICM was full of corrosion on the back of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals