• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger V8 Swap

AlwaysOnKill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I ditched the idea of swaping a 96 Expo V8 into my 94 Ranger .
Just picked up a 2001 2.5 auto Ranger that has a DJM 4/5 Drop on it for 1000.
I also have a complete 96 Explorer that i got for 800. It has low miles and a 3.73 Lsd . Ill have pictures of the two later .

Ive read the How To: 98+ install and Im sure Ill have a few questions as the swap progresses .

Where is everyone mounting the starter relay ?

Do you use the body harness at all ?

breidhaupt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
255 v8, c-6, ford 9 in. 4.10s
Transmission
Automatic
the chassis and hood compartment are nearly identical on the 96 explorer and 01 ranger. im pretty sure that the chassis wasnt revised until 03 so if the trucks share the same wheel base you might be better off switching the ranger body on to the explorer frame then putting the lowering kit on just to save time of pulling the engine and drivetrain. from there just look at where everything on the explorer bolted for fuse and relay boxes and place them where they need to be.

but if you have done ripped every thing out then just refer to where everything as far as the wiring was on the explorer and get it as close to identical on the ranger. hope this helps and good luck :)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the chassis and hood compartment are nearly identical on the 96 explorer and 01 ranger. im pretty sure that the chassis wasnt revised until 03 so if the trucks share the same wheel base you might be better off switching the ranger body on to the explorer frame then putting the lowering kit on just to save time of pulling the engine and drivetrain.
Sure sounds good but the frames are too different even with them years. Explorer is 8" wider at the rear and narrower at the front. If OP is using that 4-5 drop, then I'm guessing he must have the coil spring suspension, completly different from the Explorer front frame. Cab mounts are totally different also. Ford did make some things really easy like the wiring. Lots have done real similar swaps with what he has so there is good support here.
Dave of the Nord

AlwaysOnKill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I cleaned the truck today . It was sitting in someones yard for 1.5 yrs with tons of leaves and dirt . Previous owner blew up the 2.5 and intalled a reman motor only to have the trans go out 500 miles later . The truck wouldnt run when i got it and it had 2 flats . The reason it wouldnt start is because the fuel pump also went out . After I rigged the fuel pump and added fresh fuel it now runs , moves but only in reverse. I installed my orignal Cobra R rims on it also .
Here are some pictures .

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
looks nice. wish i had the time and resources to actually do this stead of starting to ask questions then realizing i need a house to sit it at lol. I hope it goes as easy as it can for ya.

AlwaysOnKill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
looks nice. wish i had the time and resources to actually do this stead of starting to ask questions then realizing i need a house to sit it at lol. I hope it goes as easy as it can for ya.
Thanks . I know what you mean . I just leave it at work becasue a lift makes things so easy .

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
ya if i only had a buddy with a shop lol.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good so far. A couple things I will add...Be sure to grab the fuel lines from the explorer, the ranger has a returnless fuel system, whereas the 96-97 V8 explorer has the return style fuel system, you will need the return fuel line and to swap out the fuel sending units...
SVT

AlwaysOnKill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks good so far. A couple things I will add...Be sure to grab the fuel lines from the explorer, the ranger has a returnless fuel system, whereas the 96-97 V8 explorer has the return style fuel system, you will need the return fuel line and to swap out the fuel sending units...
SVT
That was the plan or make my own return line with regulator . The Ranger set up too long and the whole sending unit rusted over . :(

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Damn if you lived closer I'd buy at least 2 of those expo rims off ya. Mine have too many weights on them to balance. Looks goods. Subscribed! Forgot to lol

AlwaysOnKill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Damn if you lived closer I'd buy at least 2 of those expo rims off ya. Mine have too many weights on them to balance. Looks goods. Subscribed! Forgot to lol
Hell I'd give you the rims for free after im done with the Expo . I have no use for them . Id love to swap the expo 8.8 with lsd and brakes for a Ranger 8.8 . It would simply things , plus I want to do mustang rear brake swap.

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd keep the expo 8.8...my two cents. Expo is 31 spline instead of Ranger 28 spline. You only need to reweld the shock mounts....I removed the Ranger rear end leaf springs and all and swapped in the expo rear end leaf springs and all! Super simple swap minus some very minor welding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals