• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinging after Uphill...

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First off, Hello! Hope your day is going well! I have a problem with my 02 3.0L :(

She just got over 120k on friday and since about 110k and up i have noticed a pinging sound AFTER i open the throttle up OR drive up a hill:bawling: I did a leak down test and a compression test on all cylinders and they all are in solid shape. replaced the distributor wires, and spark plugs at the 110k mark. I have noticed my truck idles EXTREMELY low, in the 500rpm range. Some times when im reversing and shifting into drive (automatic) the truck fully dies/stalls. This happens about 1/5 times.... I have no check engine light on currently.

Any help is appreciated, and if i could buy you a beer for the help, i would!

thank you
-Don

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First stop EGR valve

EGR valve should be closed at idle, if it is dirty, so leaking, then engine will idle lower
EGR valve opens when you accelerate or engine is under load(uphill) this prevents pinging by "cooling" the cylinders, if it is dirty and not opening enough then you get pinging, or if EGR tube is restricted.

Could be the EGR sensor or a vacuum leak in the EGR system but that would usually cause CEL to come on.

Running too lean can cause pinging but that is usually caused by a vacuum leak so idle would be higher not lower, and O2 sensor reporting lean would usually turn on CEL

Clean MAF sensor, easy to do and it is the main sensor for fuel air mix

Last edited:

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you Ron! I will get right on this first thing in the morning! One question, where can I get a head fitting for the torx style screw on the MAF? Its a TORX head with a male pin in the middle as im sure you might know. Ill try the good ole search function. Also how would I check the EGR valve?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: security bit screwdriver

lots of options, bit sets or screwdriver

In this case you should remove the EGR valve, with or without tube, so you can visually inspect it for clogging.

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Google: security bit screwdriver

lots of options, bit sets or screwdriver

In this case you should remove the EGR valve, with or without tube, so you can visually inspect it for clogging.
do you know where the EGR valve is located off hand?

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also my oil gauge starts randomly shaking up and down very fast at some points also...

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The EGR vavle itself is usually near the front of the upper intake manifold on the drivers side. there will be a tube that runs from the drivers side exhaust manifold to the upper intake. The EGR valve will be located on that tube.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^ +1

Ford oil pressure gauges are connected to an oil pressure switch, not a "sender", so either show normal pressure(above 5psi) or no pressure(below 5 psi)

A jumping needle usually means a loose wire on the switch or a bad switch.
Switch is on the engine block usually near the oil filter, it only has 1 wire connected.

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys :) Still have not checked the EGR valve yet. Going to clean the MAF then check that later today

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals