• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Original Ford Key no longer/difficult time unlocking doors suddenly???!

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone had this problem? All of a sudden, my key in my 99 ranger will not unlock my doors! It might work if I fidget with it for a while. I almost had to call for a ride home from work because I couldn't get my doors open! Finally my spare that i keep in my wallet managed to catch something in the drivers door....Both keys suddenly hardly work at all anymore at unlocking either door, passenger side will not unlock no matter how hard i try. The only thing I can think of to cause this is if someone tried to pick my locks?? any ideas? what can I do to avoid the Stealership? thanks

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
spray the lock cylinders with graphite to lube them, do not use WD40. try that first. My Dakota did that when it got cold outside.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You know, my ranger did the SAME thing. I had to fidget back and forth for about 30 seconds before it would unlock. One day I was pouring some STP oil treatment into the crankcase, and decided to lube the key heavily with it 3 times while inserting it. It didn't feel 'rusty' or 'stuck' but like the key was the wrong key. This, however, fixed the problem permanently(3 months problem free and going)

red98ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The same thing happens in my 98. It usually will work if i pull it out a little then turn it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
try heating the key up with a lighter, that will work for a few days, but lube those lock cylinders ....... Graphite costs like 4.99 at AutoZone and is what is recomended for lubing lock cylinders.

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Same thing in my 99. I'm actually glad that you asked that and glad to find out that others have the same problem, I felt like a dunce for not being able to unlock my doors lol. Normally I use the remote key but I think I will try some of that graphite stuff.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine did the same thing but it was because my key was majorly worn down. This sounds like a different problem, I would go with oiling it up real good.

If that doesn't work, go though the junk yard testing your key in various doors, then switch over the locks.

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
LOL my truck also did that, but like koda my key was very worn out and I had to have a new one made.

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
haha interesting, thanks for the info guys i'll get some of that stuff from autozone tomorrow...the Lighter trick sounds convenient for tomorrow morning :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I have that problem with my original Ford key... funny thing is, I had a spare key made and it's got more wear on it than my original key, but it works the doors fine. Guess I'll try some graphite lube an see if that makes a difference... it doesn't matter what the weather conditions are, just sometimes the Ford key works, and sometimes I'm standing there fooling with it like I'm trying to break into the truck...

stringburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Lock cylinders need periodic maintenance like most other moving parts of a vehicle. Graphite works very well. WD40 can gum them up over time. Also if you wash your truck and then the temperature drops below freezing, you can be locked out. Been there. :sad: I don't think that's an issue if you have keyless entry.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I use a penetrating oil on mine about once a year...especially in the winter...I'll have to try some graphite too because it sounds like the proper thing to do...

But changing the locks is also a good option if the graphite or oil doesn't work...might be a good idea to just pick up some extra locks (and keys if available) from the junkyard though...never know when you might need to do a change...

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Mine is getting locked up pretty bad actually too. I just use my rediculous Finger-muscle to turn the key lol. No, Graphite works best. Last time it was locked up I used WD, and was happy for about a month, and now I fight the key constantly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals