• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

it's walt... justwalt

justwalt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's walt...

hello people,

just joining the fun, from northeast PA... cuz the wife bought me an old ranger at an auction... used to have
an '85 5.0L 4x4 ranger... now I've got an '87 supercab that desperately needs a major conversion.

this looks like a great site, and I hope to make some new friends.

so that's where I'll be, in engine conversions... then trans/t-case and rears.

P.S. don't tell the wife!

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome Walt...what kind of conversion are you looking at...plenty of good info in the engines forum...and some swap/builds that might help you find what you need to complete yours...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
welcome from north missippi!
hope you enjoy your stay... watch out for some of the guys... and if you value your time, don't start reading any of gwaii's threads till you have plenty of free time... trust me.

justwalt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry for not getting right back... but I just got the '94 explorer rears, so I'm starting there.

the 2.9 is tired, and I haven't done any checks on it yet... I wanted to swap in a 4.9L inline
six, but I might stick with the current motor... and do whatever mods I can. I can get a set
of used heads and the intake from another 2.9, check them and do the work on them ahead of time.

the T-case should be ok... after rebuilding it, and the 5 speed might go... for something a bit
better... if I go auto, a C5, if I can find the torque converter, or a C4.

thanks

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
why not get the drivetrain from that 94 explorer?

justwalt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well... I suppose I could. the rest of the explorer is available. I didn't want to get into
too much electronics... (it's an auto too), I want to keep it simple.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
then just get the 4.0, wiring, and computer.
then use your 5 speed for now till you can find the stronger md05 manual trans.

bang for buck-- the 4.0 swap gets you more power than any add-ons for the 2.9. been there, done that, wasted a lot of money. however, the 2.9 is a great motor as long as you don't expect to much from it. lol. do some reading around on here... you'll find a lot of topics on here about the 4.0 swap or building up the 2.9... do your research, make an informed decision that you will be happy with. it doesn't matter if you please us or not! lol... its your truck.

justwalt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a lot of projects going on now, and the truck is on the slow burner. I'll get the
parts first... check them, fix if necessary, clean and paint them. took the bed off yesterday,
and the cab comes off next week... the frame is great, but all the spring bracket gotta be replaced,
rear shock mounts, move a cross member, new straps for the gas tank and bash plate brackets, brake lines...

I'm going to do a body lift, and add some new outriggers to mount a real rollcage...
either in the bed or inside the extended cab area, solid nerfs and I-beam bumpers.

I also have my wife to deal with... I tear apart almost everything and rebuild it better...
she sometimes has a problem with that, since right now I've got my VTX apart, a boat
project, a vintage lawn tractor... in peaces at various stages of rebuild.

if I change the motor, I'd rather go with the 4.9 inline, or a 302... I've done the 302 before
with a C5,15 years ago. I'm older now, and don't need the horsepower that I used to need in my youth.

I have to stick with this 2.9 for the time being... I can get the better heads and another intake
for cheap. I'll do the porting and valve train mods and then swap them before the cab goes back on.

and I''m doing 99% of this by myself, so, I have to get it done before winter. If I put any other motor in it,
it'll have to be fully rebuilt first. same goes for the trans... and I have to rebuild this T-case already.

and all of this work is being done at a friend's garage... in trade for rebuilding his 1972 David Brown 990 tractor. just set the motor back in that tonight... new crank, rods, pistons, valves, and rebuilt injectors.

got a lot on my plate... the motor will have to wait.

thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals