• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pumping the parking brake?

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok. i dont know if this is normal or not. when i park my truck i usually just leave it in first. but on a hill if i want to let it warm up or anything i obviously need to use the parking brake. when i push it it goes almost all the way to the floor and will hold the truck on a small hill, but if i release it and pump it again it gets firm a lot quicker and holds the truck a lot better. is this normal or bad or is something broken?

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would guess that the cables are not moving freely inside the casing. Get a friend to help by stepping on the parking brake while you look for any signs of seizing.
Good luck,

Richard

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
This is a weirdness that is understandable if you know how things really work.

The rear drum brakes on rangers are what are known as "servo actuated brakes"

Yes, the rear hydraulic cylinders move the brakes into engagement, but the primary braking force comes from a rotational "Wedging effect"

Rolling forward the front shoe contacts the drum and the rotational drag drives the show downwards away from the single anchor point at the top.

This wedges the longer rear show firmly into the brake drum and that is what provides most of the actual stopping force.

Because of the difference in spring rates and the longer show being in back
the brakes are not as effective when backing up.

The parking brake is mechanically actuated but the principle remains the same.

The fact is that after the brakes are applied parts inside move, in some cases
a suprising amount, and after they've moved they often move in a way that
offers you more mechanical advantage so you can get another click or so
and get better holding as a result.

AD

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

Richard

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
The 93-98 rangers have an "in-service-able parking break" gotta replace the cables. Mine rolls with the parking break on. you can get a new cable at o'reillys or napa.

What it is, there's a self adjusting thingy under there and it'll stretch to where it wont self adjust, so you gotta get a new cable.

I figured that out, and then confirmed that was the problem with Lima Bean. its the front cable that's probably loose, it's just like a 2'-3'ft cable like on a bicycle.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 93-98 rangers have an "in-service-able parking break" gotta replace the cables. Mine rolls with the parking break on. you can get a new cable at o'reillys or napa.

What it is, there's a self adjusting thingy under there and it'll stretch to where it wont self adjust, so you gotta get a new cable.

I figured that out, and then confirmed that was the problem with Lima Bean. its the front cable that's probably loose, it's just like a 2'-3'ft cable like on a bicycle.
You didn't read a thing that Allan said.
If he can apply and release the parking brake the cable is not the problem, and there is nothing in the cable system for the parking brake that will stretch and wear out. That would be a dumb idea on the engineers part as the brake could be applied and that part stretch out and allow the vehicle to roll away

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
You didn't read a thing that Allan said.
If he can apply and release the parking brake the cable is not the problem, and there is nothing in the cable system for the parking brake that will stretch and wear out. That would be a dumb idea on the engineers part as the brake could be applied and that part stretch out and allow the vehicle to roll away
Well SORRY I was just putting in something I've experience. geez, chill. That's what went wrong with my parking break, and I have searched it, and got under and looked at my own parking break.

I can apply and release my parking break and it'll hold, unless it's on a slope or a slick spot. And it says in my book that I can't service the parking break.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well SORRY I was just putting in something I've experience. geez, chill.
Take your own advice!

You posted something that made no absolute sense at all. You stated that there was/is a part in your parking brake system that stretched and gave you no hold from your parking brake. There is nothing from the parking brake pedal to the drums that can stretch. The cables will stretch and then break when enough pressure is applied. If they do break it is because of rust and not stretching. The should be a part by your front spring hanger on the rear drivers side that has an adjustment and connects the rear cables to the front, that won't stretch either. Like Allan said the only part of your rear brakes that actually hold anything is the front shoe. If the rear brake shoes are out of adjustment then yeah the pedal may be pumped to hold better.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take your own advice!

You posted something that made no absolute sense at all. You stated that there was/is a part in your parking brake system that stretched and gave you no hold from your parking brake. There is nothing from the parking brake pedal to the drums that can stretch. The cables will stretch and then break when enough pressure is applied. If they do break it is because of rust and not stretching. The should be a part by your front spring hanger on the rear drivers side that has an adjustment and connects the rear cables to the front, that won't stretch either. Like Allan said the only part of your rear brakes that actually hold anything is the front shoe. If the rear brake shoes are out of adjustment then yeah the pedal may be pumped to hold better.
Wait what!? There is nothing between the the parking brake pedal and the drums that can stretch, yet the cables WILL stretch and break. Im sorry but if you stretch a cable hard enough and enough times to or beyond its yield point it will fatigue and grow in length, especially cheap ass little 10-12 strand cable made in China. Even my high dollar cables i use as an ironworker to lift untold tons of steel beams ect... stretch and over time grow in lengh hence why they are inspected and certified regularly. My stuff is usually proof loaded to around 60% load of the minimum breaking strength, Consider constructional and elastic stretch beyond yield but before failure through a few 1000 cycles and your E-brake cables WILL grow in length. Feel free to correct me if im blowing smoke, i dont mind some learnin.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wait what!? There is nothing between the the parking brake pedal and the drums that can stretch, yet the cables WILL stretch and break. Im sorry but if you stretch a cable hard enough and enough times to or beyond its yield point it will fatigue and grow in length, especially cheap ass little 10-12 strand cable made in China. Even my high dollar cables i use as an ironworker to lift untold tons of steel beams ect... stretch and over time grow in lengh hence why they are inspected and certified regularly. My stuff is usually proof loaded to around 60% load of the minimum breaking strength, Consider constructional and elastic stretch beyond yield but before failure through a few 1000 cycles and your E-brake cables WILL grow in length. Feel free to correct me if im blowing smoke, i dont mind some learnin.
You need to go read again......I'm done

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need to go read again......I'm done
Maby so but dont ditch the deal man. Explain your side and maby educate me, i was not dissing you. Thats why we are both here so state your side and lets work together as a team , got it!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright lets go with it this way. There is nothing between the parking brake pedal and the drums that will stretch. A stretched emergency brake cable means a broken emergency brake cable. These cables are not made or designed to stretch, they are already stretched when they are made. Then the pressure of setting the parking brake is applied you don't want the cables to stretch taking pressure off the rear drums which is holding the truck stationary on the ground or incline to let go and cause damage to property or cause a death. The cables you deal with as an iron worker are designed to stretch under a load cause that is what they do, they are a wound cable with crimped loops not several straight cables wrapped in plastic (like a parking brake cable) with metal ends. Your inch thick cables are inspected every so often in compliance with OSHA regulations and if they are found frayed or stretched beyond the rated safety compliance they are immediately taken out of service or atleast should be. When a parking brake cable frays it breaks not even letting it stretch. The cables you use to lift 1 ton+ beams and the cables that are used to hold a 2300 pound vehicle are two different sizes and serve different purposes.

My apology for the responses as one was quick and the other I didn't read all the way through.

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright lets go with it this way. There is nothing between the parking brake pedal and the drums that will stretch. A stretched emergency brake cable means a broken emergency brake cable. These cables are not made or designed to stretch, they are already stretched when they are made. Then the pressure of setting the parking brake is applied you don't want the cables to stretch taking pressure off the rear drums which is holding the truck stationary on the ground or incline to let go and cause damage to property or cause a death. The cables you deal with as an iron worker are designed to stretch under a load cause that is what they do, they are a wound cable with crimped loops not several straight cables wrapped in plastic (like a parking brake cable) with metal ends. Your inch thick cables are inspected every so often in compliance with OSHA regulations and if they are found frayed or stretched beyond the rated safety compliance they are immediately taken out of service or atleast should be. When a parking brake cable frays it breaks not even letting it stretch. The cables you use to lift 1 ton+ beams and the cables that are used to hold a 2300 pound vehicle are two different sizes and serve different purposes.

My apology for the responses as one was quick and the other I didn't read all the way through.
Thanks for coming back, i will look into it a little more on my end too when i get time. We have good points to ponder so thanks again.:icon_thumby:

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I have never had a parking brake cable break,but I do not buy that there is no stretch before it breaks.I have not ever seen any wire that did not stretch some before it breaks.They(cable) are wire strands wound together to form wire rope.If they just break wouldn't the cable be brittle due to it's hardness?This might be a job for myth busters.Once I replace mine I will try to break the cables.I will measure before and after and see if they stretched.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals