• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quality of work today

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well. I don't want to brag but I work with a roofing company that does GOOD work. Thing is...the company is composed of my friend, and my friends dad. My friends dad started roofing when he was 23. So he has been doing it a long time and knows how it is done, and my friend started roofing when he was like...12. The quality of work we do is top notch because my friends dad is the owner, CEO, boss, employee...everything. If the roof starts leaking...he can't blame someone higher up, can't make someone else do it. Blah blah...he fixes it because his company name is at stake. I like family businesses like that better then big businesses where blame can always be shifted and responsibility can be taken up by "someone else"

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have to agree with all the above!! I like the old saying,"If you cannot find the time to do a job right the first time WHERE do you find the time to do it OVER?

RonV :) :) :)

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
It depends on the company that orders the finished product. Sometimes the blueprint gives leeway on the tolerances.
I admire too picky people who want to "get it right" the first time....It saves $ in the long run-
Our standard tolerances vary depending on the location of the cuts, but the important areas usually get a +.0002"/-.001" tolerance. Over the entire mold that .0004" difference (using my .0006" from previous post) will push the casting out of spec (we usually get requests from the customers for +/-1.5 grams) and can cost the company some cash/product performance over the life of the mold.

I'll just go see if Home Depot will buy that line and cut the price of lumber for your job by half....
What, you mean they don't and you won't work for free?!?!? :icon_twisted:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that is probably my favorite one too. I mean, I'm all for getting a good deal and not getting ripped off, but its like you say, you can't do a job for nothing. You have to buy parts and material, and thats all they want to pay for. We have to eat too people :dunno:
Yup, I've started telling the people that start really hammering about how bad the economy is that "I don't work for the exercise, I have plenty of things that I can work on for free at home."

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Thats why i cant work for anyone else than me.
like Dweano said, its my own name and reputation on the line, so i give the best product i can.
and being that i sell food, i cant make mistakes.

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
im only 21 and i can't stand doing anything halfass. i can count on one hand people my age with the same attitude. if i misdiagnose something or screw something up customers always say hes to young/inexperienced. so thats an extra motivating factor for me.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
im only 21 and i can't stand doing anything halfass. i can count on one hand people my age with the same attitude. if i misdiagnose something or screw something up customers always say hes to young/inexperienced. so thats an extra motivating factor for me.

:yahoo:

My wife has worked in children's daycare systems for 20 years....she says most of the young adults nowadays were never disciplined properly by parents or daycare staff because of the changing government regulations(rules that sound good on paper, but fail to develop children mentally or emotionally--causing the "BRAT SYNDROME")--the kids were never actually taught responsibility or proper behavior...and if they misbehaved/refused to be responsible, they gradually learned that they could get away with it.

My generation got "corrected" by the Principal, & by mom & dad once home...we did our "chores"(the right way!)....got an allowance....learned to save money...(I actually looked forward to mowing lawns for $5 per yard...LOL)etc. I feel sad for todays generation....they've been robbed of some good life-lessons.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I never even got an allowance, doorgunner! I had to work for everything, I got money for doing things like repairing tools for dad or painting his equipment. Mowing the grass was something done for free - they said my payment for that was room and board, lol. When I got older, I was expected to go work and make money outside of the house, and I did, unlike many of those that I grew up around.

I thought I was really cool buying a brand new truck (Ranger of course) when I was 17. My parent's co-signed, but it was up to me to pay for it. And I was happy and proud of it until I drove it to high school for the first time. I got positively sick to my stomach when I pulled into the school student parking lot to discover that my brand new truck was the cheapest vehicle in the lot.... talking BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Caddys, lifted restored 4x4 trucks with obviously a lot of money sunk into them....

You KNOW that those kids did not buy them on their own with money they earned (except for the drug dealers but that's a different animal altogether), you know mommy and daddy bought them their car/truck/suv.

At least I got the last laugh after The Last and The Curious (err... was that The Fast and the Furious?... anywho....) came out..... lots of those kids traded their expensive ride for a riced-out honda civic. Funny part is, off the line, my STOCK Ranger was faster. How disheartening to think you are hardcore and in a "fast" car only to have a stock truck blow your doors off.....

Ahh... my mis-spent youth.....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
We install Trane HVAC systems. I take it you have a gas furnace with our sysems we lock out the H/P at 40 degrees gas heating is more effecient at lower outside temps. They are also on a timer if the heat pump dont satisfy the call for heat in one hour it switches to gas to satisfy the demand. For second stage cooling if the temp is three degrees higher than the call for cool it switches to second stage or after 30 mins on first stage. If your thermostat has adaptive intellegent recovery on turn it off and just set the thermostat to come on 1/2 an hour before you get up. The most efficient way to run your heat and cool is set the same temps day and nite say 68 degrees heat 75 cool and just leave it there. Every degree above 68 adds 10 percent on your energy bill.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
its my own name and reputation on the line, so i give the best product i can.
Yep, I was always taught to never do a job in a way I wouldn't want to stick my name on it.

But, I'm a perfectionist in many ways. If I walk into a room with a crooked picture, I've got to fix it. If I don't it's going to keep my attention until it's done.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Yep, I was always taught to never do a job in a way I wouldn't want to stick my name on it.

But, I'm a perfectionist in many ways. If I walk into a room with a crooked picture, I've got to fix it. If I don't it's going to keep my attention until it's done.
thats being crazy man :icon_twisted: lol joke

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

I read an interview with a guy once, talking about his dad who had just died.

He was talking about how his dad would redo hours of wiring or piping work if it wasn't straight, even if it would be behind drywall where nobody would be able to see it.

The reason was "Because integrity is what you do when no one will see it".

That's been one of the core principles that I've tried to base my work on.

That and what my gramps always told us about work. "When you leave a job, it should hurt your employer." I've gotten jobs on that alone. And I'm pretty sure the boss there cried when I left. He looked like a beaten little puppy every time I left for the summer.

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
That and what my gramps always told us about work. "When you leave a job, it should hurt your employer." I've gotten jobs on that alone. And I'm pretty sure the boss there cried when I left. He looked like a beaten little puppy every time I left for the summer.
So true. Every job I have moved on from I felt bad because whoever I was wroking for would get so bumed out I was quiting. Last time I put my 2 weeks notice in (They talked me into staying) my boss was so mad I didnt hear from him for the whole 2 weeks. The 1st day he found out I was staying he called and acted like he was my best friend lol.

I love to see all these little slackers. I'm only 24 but as time goes on, the work force gets more and more smucks in it, the easier it is for me to find a job when I need one.

Seems you have the kids that don't know/don't care and the ones that went to college got a peice of paper that says there smart but are to hand fed to think for themselves.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, there are plenty of people of all ages that still take pride in their work. I've been hiring a guy lately, when I never do, and he's impressive. He's not perfect, but he's damn good. He cares. That's the most important thing.

Who's not raising their kids right? If you don't raise you kids right, they aren't doing HVAC work! If anyone IS doing work, call them on it. Work isn't GIVEN to anyone. People do have pride in what they do because it's natural. Even a lazy asshole has pride in something. It's unlikely the guy hanging your gutters is a lazy asshole.

The thing you got to be is INTERESTED. I hire something out--I show up at some point and let them realize that I will be looking at what they do. Nobody likes to carry the thought of being an asshole in someone else's eyes.

Pride is a human thing. If you had no pride at all--you would be living in your mother's basement. People get complacent and lazy, but you, as the guy paying the money, can get good work out of them by being interested.

Don't just lick a check and stick it to your forehead and hope everything comes out alright. Inspire Americans!

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
We install Trane HVAC systems. I take it you have a gas furnace with our sysems we lock out the H/P at 40 degrees gas heating is more effecient at lower outside temps. They are also on a timer if the heat pump dont satisfy the call for heat in one hour it switches to gas to satisfy the demand. For second stage cooling if the temp is three degrees higher than the call for cool it switches to second stage or after 30 mins on first stage. If your thermostat has adaptive intellegent recovery on turn it off and just set the thermostat to come on 1/2 an hour before you get up. The most efficient way to run your heat and cool is set the same temps day and nite say 68 degrees heat 75 cool and just leave it there. Every degree above 68 adds 10 percent on your energy bill.
Have you been in my attic? Yes, I do have a Trane system. The thermostat is programed to control everything, except the 2nd stage heat on the furnace. I have the H/P & furance to switch heating jobs at 40*F. Problem was that the H/P & furance were both trying to heat the house when it is in the 20's*F outside. Right now, the 2 stage cooling is working like it should. 1st stage to keep the house nice cool and humidity in check. 2nd stage kicks in when it gets over 100*F outside or the inside gets 2 degrees over set temperature.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals