• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump + line

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
swapping a carbed 302 in my b2 which is currently the 2.9 electric puel pump in the tank. When swapping in the 302, do u run the mechanical pump on it or keep the electric pump and use a pressure reducer? If the electric pump can no longer be used how would I cap off the top of the gas tank where the electric pump goes?

Fuel lines..can i reuse the stock line and attach a fuel block then a flexible hose coming off that? Is it possible to run a long flexible hose or should i keep the hard line?

Let me know how u did yours and whats the easiest way. Sorry for alot of questions!

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Use a fuel pump block off plate. Then i would just use your intank electric with a regulator.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Use a fuel pump block off plate. Then i would just use your intank electric with a regulator.
Anyone have a part number or kno a good candidate for my application? Found some on summit and jegs but they were for EFI only from like 40-100 lbs..i need 5-7psi right?

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I can't think of any PNs off hand but you would need a regulator with a return line or you will kill the high pressure stock pumps.\\Matt

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can use just a tee. One side of the tee to the presure line, one side to the return line and one to the carb. If you run your float bowl empty up in the rpms just restrict the return line a little. If you blow out the needle and seat then you have restricted the return line to much.
If this is on the '88 you can bypass the high pressure pump and just use the primer pump which only makes about 12 psi.
I would just run new line from the fuel tank to the carb, Steel 3/8" line for the pressure line and 5/16" line for the return.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so your saying to use a Tee along with the stock electric pump?

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you have 2 fuel pumps toss the high pressure one and run off the low pressure in tank pump. Use a return regulator back to the tank. If you don't have 2 pumps I would use a different pump completely, a low pressure pump for a carb.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
mutant pony is saying i have 2 fuel pumps but i thought all b2's only had one. I think the rangers with the big tanks had the 2 pumps.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It will depend on the year. I can't tell you for sure, my BII is an 89 but from what I remember starting in 89 is a single in tank fuel pump.

Matt

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've used an "elcheapo" 30 gal/hr inline electric on my 89 now for over 5 years. It was enough to feed the 400+hp 3 carbed 331 I had in it at one time. This pump was made by Purolator, I have a similar one now on my 77 Comet also feeding the same 331, but this one's made by Mr. Gasket. Advance Auto Parts stocks this with the performance carb stuff.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've used an "elcheapo" 30 gal/hr inline electric on my 89 now for over 5 years. It was enough to feed the 400+hp 3 carbed 331 I had in it at one time. This pump was made by Purolator, I have a similar one now on my 77 Comet also feeding the same 331, but this one's made by Mr. Gasket. Advance Auto Parts stocks this with the performance carb stuff.
thanks

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever look at your fuel system. If Your BII came with a 2.9 it should have the primer/pressure pump system. If it had the dual plug (8 plug) 2.3 then it would have a single, in tank pump.
And you don't need to spend big money on a regulator. A tee will work just fine. I've done it many times.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My '88 Ranger has the 2 fuel pump design, one on the drivers side frame rail, under the cab, a little ways back from the fuel filter. The other is in the tank, If you get under there and look, you cannot miss it.

I never though of just using the stock intank pump for a V8 conversion, and eliminating the frame rail pump, that's pretty simplistic.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals