• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AR15 Build

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For me, if I were to get one... I would get a .308.

Ammo is cheapish and I could still hunt with it about anywhere a rifle is allowed.

.223/5.56 is darn near worthless around here for hunting, plain and simple isn't allowed for anything but varmits.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
don't plan on hunting with it.. have this for that...

mainly just target shooting and playing around with.. maybe defense if the US goes down hill faster than expected. lol. but i hope that don't happen.

do some fun shooting w/ some of those bouncing targets. make some scenario shooting places down on the farm. you know... things like that.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
two questions for you. first are you shure your going to keep it simple? cause if you are the 2h would be a nice way to save $150 over the 2t. if there is any doubt in your mind that your going to keep it simple just go for the 2t, but if you arnt shure the 2 t is the way to go. also what price point are you looking at for your scope and what do you want to do with it? there are scopes out there that are great for short range (100m or lest) that suck for long range stuff, and there are scopes out there that you could pull off a verry long range shot with but suck for quick target acusition. and there are scopes out there that are good for both but you will have to pay several hundered $ to get them.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, was talking to another guy about saving the money and getting the 2h..
i want to keep it simple. i don't want all that stuff on there just to make it heavier and junk.

the scope, well that i want to keep doing research on for sure. i'm not ready to buy yet anyways. i want something for quick target.. might even just not worry with the scope when i first buy and just use iron sights at first.

i know that i want the vertical grip.. but other than that im not sure i want anything hanging off rails in the front of the gun.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Did you find a rifle yet?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ain't really looked yet.. talked to several people local that have built/bought about them. i'm still in the research phase right now anyways. my truck will have its axles, tires, and winch before i get an AR

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
doing a sas?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
no, just d35 ttb to replace the d28. i've got most everthing i need. except some small odds and ends. mainly my money will be going to winch and tires before the AR.

i'm getting there tho.. college kid budget aint the best. but i make do

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
if you want the best for sure go with a lewis machine. they offer different cal. and you can have your whole gun built by them to your preference. for affordability you can use just about any brand lower but you should for sure go with their upper. http://www.lewismachine.net/. you are going to pay for it though... my bro has one and it is sexy... i have a rock river ar, which is a little bit more wallet friendly. I will go on and tell you if you are target shooting or varmint hunting an ar is pretty good, (i've got a eotech, bayonet, and a light for mine and i use it to hunt pigs at night) but if you are going to use it for larger game hunting then you may soon find that it isn't the real deal. 308 is a good all around gun for most hunting. 300 win mag or 300 rem ultra mag is best for long range like 1000 yards plus long range. don't let any of these dudes sway your opinion too much on here b/c they claim to know about guns. go with what feels comfortable to you (price and performance) most of these guys are your weekend warriors and they don't really know what they think they know. just roll with what you feel comfortable with. hope this info helps

finn611

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2 AR'S , I bought both guns complete from a manufacturer. I feel more comfortable owning/ shooting a gun that is built with one company's parts. Maybe that's just me. I have taken both of them and put my own twist on them but they are still the stock internal components.
Here's my first AR15, its an armalite. 556 then I installed a yhm freefloated quad rail, foregrip, and an eotec.

And here's my second, its a smith and wesson M&P15ps with the new piston system. Got the gunI the put magpul flip sights front and rear. A mueller red dot I had laying around, and I just ordered a yhm quadrail for it. The armalite is my competition gun right now but we will see what the M&P runs like after im done with it

Nate W.

August 2012 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Nice project idea.

:icon_thumby::yahoo: I've always loved the look of AR-15's. There is a lot of different customizations you can do to them. You can go all out, having a 20 pound full-on tactical beast, or a feahterweight, (Not sure how much they weigh stock But probably around 5-10 pounds?) With just a red-dot and a sling. Still gonna be quite a bit of cash though. Sure would be fun to build.:icon_welder: Even more fun to shoot.

Oh, and on the .308 vs 5.56/.223 debate thing; The .308 would be slightly cheaper per box, but it would kick a hell of a lot more, be a lot louder, maybe a wee bit heavier, but it would destroy basicly anything you point it at. The .223 is just a little lighter to carry, has quite a bit less kick, but can't kill most things bigger than a coyote. :sad: To get it chambered in .308 can be a bit more expensive to buy also, unless you get one of those conversion kits.:icon_idea: (Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here please.) =)

Have fun with it though. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.:rockon:

Last edited:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
:icon_thumby::yahoo: I've always loved the look of AR-15's. There is a lot of different customizations you can do to them. You can go all out, having a 20 pound full-on tactical beast, or a feahterweight, (Not sure how much they weigh stock But probably around 5-10 pounds?) With just a red-dot and a sling. Still gonna be quite a bit of cash though. Sure would be fun to build.:icon_welder: Even more fun to shoot.

Oh, and on the .308 vs 5.56/.223 debate thing; The .308 would be slightly cheaper per box, but it would kick a hell of a lot more, be a lot louder, maybe a wee bit heavier, but it would destroy basicly anything you point it at. The .223 is just a little lighter to carry, has quite a bit less kick, but can't kill most things bigger than a coyote. :sad: To get it chambered in .308 can be a bit more expensive to buy also, unless you get one of those conversion kits.:icon_idea: (Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here please.) =)

Have fun with it though. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.:rockon:
.308 cheaper then .223? Where?

There are no .308 "conversions". .308 has a greater OAL and require different(slightly longer) lower and upper receivers to accommodate the longer rounds. .308 AR rifles are affectionately known as the AR-10, or Remington's R-25 (.308, .243, 7mm-08).:icon_thumby:

-Jester

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i recommended lewis machine earlier...here is the link to one of their .308 ar's
http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/308-modular-weapon-system-black-barrel.html

this is one of their top end ar's, but they do have others that are more affordable. oh and i didn't mention earlier, but it is definitely better to have a gas piston system rather than direct impingement.. basically when you shoot, direct impingement allows gases back into the chamber causing quicker wear on internal parts long term... the gas piston is designed to not allow the gases back into your chamber... also recoil and velocity can be slightly different b/t the two.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
bump...

looking more into building my own. come on guys... give me suggestions.
would like to start w/ a lower.

i want 5.56. 16" barrel. simple build.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals