• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 BII winch bumper!!!

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4.0B2, I hear you on the clevis mounts. A flying chunk of metal on the end of a nylon rope is no joke!

Although the tie down rings I pointed to are pretty HD (6600 lb working load, 20,000 break), they are explicitly not for lifting apps (and impact/jerk loads from recovery would place substantial extra load on the ring/mount/welds). Probably not a great idea in retrospect.

Anyway, since the OP has noted these are towbarmounts, not recovery points, I was barking up the wrong tree anyway. My comments on the tow bar mounts:

- Please round off the corners of the mounts and/or make safety caps for these if this rig is seeing the street with the tow bar off.
- the material offhand looks a little light and the mounts kinda long for sideways stress (towing around corners, braking tow vehicle when the vehicles are not in line). If this is going to be highway towing at speed, maybe take a second look at these.
- I know you won't be towing this rig without safety chains (RIGHT?), just give a bit of thought as to whether you are OK with the B2 losing a mount (or 2) and running into your tow vehicle) as you evaluate your design.

Now I'll sit back in my comfy chair as you keep at 'er in the shop!

Cheers, Bill

3406pack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999-1988- 1973
Make / Model
nissan- ford- f
Transmission
Automatic
Ill try tomorrow to get a pic of the hitch mounted even unpainted lol. The pics make it look a little thin but it is actually .5X2in flat bar steel. I hope I dont ever need the hitch but seeing how this is my DD and work is 23 miles one way, I just hate the Idea of paying a wrecker bill when now I can pull it with my truck. Thanks everyone for the compliments and the constructive critiques. They are all appreciated. Ilove my BII and the fuel mileage.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Explorer springs should help... Depends on how wore out yet are compared to how worn out yours are..

3406pack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999-1988- 1973
Make / Model
nissan- ford- f
Transmission
Automatic
It actually sat a little high in the front by about 1/2in and the ride was really good. I can tell that Im a little nose heavy now. It dont hit the bumpstops or anything but I just put those tires on and I would hate to wear them out early because they are cambered in some.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Close up-s and clearer pics of the welds?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd like to see the tow bar mounts in double shear. I found out the hard way.

Richard

3406pack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999-1988- 1973
Make / Model
nissan- ford- f
Transmission
Automatic
Tow bar pics

Ok guys (and gals?) Here are the pics of my tow bar mounted. After these I will upload weld pics that I hope you can see lol.

I made it so Icould lock it and noone could steal my coupler TOO easy lol. I still have to drill holes in my bolts for some pins and mount my safety chains.:icon_welder:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Eh....not my cup of tea. Its fugly as hell IMO. Leaves a lot to the imagination. And those welds look like freakin bubblegum.

I do like that winch tho. What is that?

3406pack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999-1988- 1973
Make / Model
nissan- ford- f
Transmission
Automatic
Weld pics

I hope theyre clear enuff cause my camera doesnt have auto focus.
These are bumper to frame plates.

The rest are self explantory I hope

All of these are done with a 7018 rod set on 150amps on my Lincoln weldan power 225.
Enjoy:beer::icon_cheers:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Eh....not my cup of tea. Its fugly as hell IMO. Leaves a lot to the imagination. And those welds look like freakin bubblegum.

I do like that winch tho. What is that?
remember, all chinese made winches are basically the same... badlands from harbor freight, rugged ridge, gorilla, vipers, whatever... they're all basically the same.

ltuck808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not to sure your welds are gonna hold long. def close the sides of the square tubing. and you only put like 2 half inch welds on the tube of the towing deal? youre gonna lose the whole truck if you hit a good bump while pulling that down the free way, clean up the metal good and lay some nice beads down.

padilla94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not to sure your welds are gonna hold long. def close the sides of the square tubing. and you only put like 2 half inch welds on the tube of the towing deal? youre gonna lose the whole truck if you hit a good bump while pulling that down the free way, clean up the metal good and lay some nice beads down.
See red

3406pack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999-1988- 1973
Make / Model
nissan- ford- f
Transmission
Automatic
The 2 1/2in welds I think your talking about are only there so someone cant just unbolt the coupler. Ive also got 2 1/2in bolts holding the coupler to the bar.

See.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
i would add some triangular gussets to the ears sticking out from the bumper it looks like a turn would almost peel the tongue right off the bumper
reinforceing can never hurt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals