• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Build Thread: 5.0 for 3.slow

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will need a tune. The ECU is looking for OSS, ISS, and TCCS. That's why it's searching for idle. Power and running issues, along with fuel pressure, is O2 related as it can't detect input from the sensors. Also, if you didn't swap over the sensors from the fuel tank, you will have emissions codes, so have them deleted in the tune as well. The tcase motor could have been swapped from the 54 to the 06 to avoid cut/splice. The motor mounts could have been taken from the donor for a 100% bolt in swap on the motor end. Looks like a good swap though, enjoy the power, I know I do....

SVT

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.9L Inline 4 Cylinder Cummins 4BT
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
You will need a tune. The ECU is looking for OSS, ISS, and TCCS. That's why it's searching for idle. Power and running issues, along with fuel pressure, is O2 related as it can't detect input from the sensors. Also, if you didn't swap over the sensors from the fuel tank, you will have emissions codes, so have them deleted in the tune as well. The tcase motor could have been swapped from the 54 to the 06 to avoid cut/splice. The motor mounts could have been taken from the donor for a 100% bolt in swap on the motor end. Looks like a good swap though, enjoy the power, I know I do....

SVT
Yea I realized that about the shift motor after I'd already spliced it. It was a duh moment for sure. But it works anyway so I'm happy. Figured I'd need a tune to get it running right. Good for me the guy doing the exhaust work also does custom tunes :yahoo:

Thanks for the info.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I am doing a 302 swap in an 85 B2 using a M5ODR2, did you just use the factory 3L clutch line?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
I am doing a 302 swap in an 85 B2 using a M5ODR2, did you just use the factory 3L clutch line?

Yes I did. They were compatible. The slave cylinder is also the same part number in my case. I'd double check with some other folks about your particular year though. I don't know if they ever changed anything or not.

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
One concern I have is about the radiator. I compared the Mountaineer's radiator to the original Ranger radiator, and they are exactly the same size so I just used the same one I had. I thought the Mountaineer's was supposed to be twice as thick? The Mountaineer didn't overheat when I drove it, so I guess I shouldn't be concerned, but still it is strange to think the two radiators would be the same size since the 5.0 is much larger.

Last edited:

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
Got the truck back from the muffler shop today. Exhaust pipes and O2 sensors all hooked up. And it is fantastic. I still need to have the computer flashed to get rid of the auto tranny codes and also I need to rewire the tachometer for the V8. My temperature gage isn't working, so I need to look into that as well. But the Ranger drives excellent with the 5-speed behind it.

It has a slight hesitation every now and then, like a misfire. I assume it's because the auto tranny functions are still in there as I have heard of others having this problem. I will post some more pics soon and maybe a video if I have a chance to make one.

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Where did you pick up that new block plate at? I looked all around for a new one and couldn't find one?

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
Mechanic hooked a scan tool up and determined that both of my upstream o2 sensors were bad, and that my thermostat was stuck open. It's been so cold lately that the engine hasn't been getting up to normal operating temp.

So the O2 sensors combined with the thermostat issue might be why the idle is random and sometimes shoots up when depressing the clutch. Replacing those to see if it runs better.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I'd replace the thermostat/clear out the trouble codes...then drive it a few days to see if the 02 sensors started operating correctly before replacing them.

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
I already replaced everything. Runs a little better, but I still have a pretty bad case of surging idle. rpms increase every time I depress the clutch. Sitting at stop lights is annoying since it idles anywhere between 1000 and 3000 depending on the mood it's in. I assume it's still the auto tranny stuff in the computer messing with it so I guess I will still need a tune. At least I have a new thermostat and o2 sensors...

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
Thought I'd better check the TPS sensor to make sure it isn't the source of my idle surges. It measured 1.15 Volts at closed throttle. If I understand correctly the computer doesn't know it's idling until the voltage is below 1 Volt.

So I adjusted the TB screw so that the voltage is at 0.93 volts at closed throttle. This could be the whole problem, but I haven't had a chance to drive it yet to find out. Hopefully that solves the issue.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Get an Ultra Gauge and it could tell you all you'd need. Intake temp, coolant temp, throttle position (in percentage), MPG, engine load... ect. I love mine.

And thanks for the ink to the block plate. I'll probably be getting that too.

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
Just got the Ranger back from the shop. I had a tune written to get rid of the auto tranny functions. No more RPM spikes. It drives great. The rpms stay around 1500-1700 when coasting in neutral, and when I stop completely they drop to about 1000 and it idles smooth.

Is that supposed to happen? I have been told the rpms stay higher while coasting for brake assist and power steering, but it never did that with the old motor and computer. Not an issue really, but I'm still curious about it.

However, after it sits idling for about 3-5 minutes the rpms will drop to 500 (according to the tach, which may not be exactly right because it sounds slower to me) and it just sounds like it's really laboring and the whole truck shakes. Not sure what causes this. Then after I get moving and come to a stop again it will idle at 1000 smoothly for a few minutes and then drop to 500 and start chugging. The cycle repeats.

Does the computer decrease engine speed after idling for a certain period of time? I am curious if the base idle speed is just set too low now, if that is what it's trying to return too. I assumed it would return to idle immediately when stopped, but it sits at 1000 and then falls after 3-5 minutes and starts to run rough. If so I need to adjust because it sounds rough and acts like it wants to die. No CEL's either.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'd just like to get this last issue resolved and it will be perfect.

frogman

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am doing the 5.0 swap into my 2000 ranger 4x4 and am mostly done. I appreciate all the info you have posted it has been a help as I did not buy an explorer/mountaineer to do the swap, I have gathered all the pieces and done the work. In hindsight I should have just bought an explorer/mountaineer. Oh well. Anyway...

Question for you. The last thing I have to do is the battery wiring harness. I don't have the one from the ranger (I sold the motor, tranny, transfer case and all the wiring). So I grabbed one from a 97 mountaineer, it didn't cost me anything. The problem is, it is not exactly what I need and honestly I am not sure exactly what I need. Any info here you can provide is GREATLY appreciated! Did you use the one from the ranger? If not, what did you use? Did you have to do anything to it to get it to work?

Thanks so much for your time,
Clay

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals