• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

interchangable parts list

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well this thread blew up since it started lol

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
BAGGED92RANGER. Rock on. To me, a 2wd Ranger plain cab is a modern version of the 3 window coupe of the 30s early 50s hot rods and lead sleds . I have no clue about how easy it would be . But if you bagged it already, grafting a new nose on shouldn't be too big of a deal. :D

RangerSplashh97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys so I just spent a few hours searching. And I can't find what the "difference" is on the 96 ranger hood to the 2000 hood. Some guy said the sender curve of different another says its narrower and other people argue I kinda want to keep my grill and head lights and keep my 96 mcniel 10in flaired fenders too.ha also I'll be using hood pins and not the hood latch so can anyone tell me if I can fit the 2000 hood with my 96 ranger grill header panel and lights? Thanks in advance. I'm buying a new hood and wanted to get the power dome hood of I have to ill replace it all but I'd rather not yet.lol

Hello, new person here!
I have the exact same question.

Intro(I'll try to be swift):
Somebody I know just had me purchase a Ranger Splash Edition with a slightly smashed front end. He then had me keep it to work on, rebuild, refresh, drive, etc.
It's got 137xxx but has been well taken care of.
Ive done a few things here and there, purchased some parts and consumables, that kind of thing.
Between today and tomorrow, I should be just finishing up tracing some electrical bugs, upgrading any anemic failed wires or circuits, and then a sorting a few alternator issues.

For here and now my main question is as quoted.
I've gotten many different answers about the hoods.

I have found a fiberglass hood on an 01 or 03 ranger, can't remember the exact year(can take pics), but I can get it for literally 20 or 25 bucks since the underside has a small chunk of the framing broke off; moderately easy fiberglass fix.
Honestly, they do look close-if not the same, they even have the same hood hinges(except they were bolted to the firewall; mine are welded or something)..BUT with that said, that's with me driving from where one truck is parked, back to where another is, with a bunch of dinkin around in between. Also, I forgot my tape the last time I went, so while I may think they look close, I could not measure. I'm really hoping to find somebody who has tried it or really knows with certainty.

Simply,
will a 2001 or 2003 4.0 Ranger hood fit my 1997 4.0 Ranger splash 2wd manual, while keeping the rest of the 97 front end, fenders and whatnot?
If you do Not think it can be done, do you mind telling me what all is defferent?

Pleeease only answer if your 99.99% sure or better,
thanks a ton!

P.S. I have a small list of some more questions that I'll be asking over the next few days and weeks; and I think, if anybody is interested, in return I'll go ahead and document, and then organize the build and what i learned.

red_ranger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25in
Tire Size
Hello, new person here!
I have the exact same question.

Intro(I'll try to be swift):
Somebody I know just had me purchase a Ranger Splash Edition with a slightly smashed front end. He then had me keep it to work on, rebuild, refresh, drive, etc.
It's got 137xxx but has been well taken care of.
Ive done a few things here and there, purchased some parts and consumables, that kind of thing.
Between today and tomorrow, I should be just finishing up tracing some electrical bugs, upgrading any anemic failed wires or circuits, and then a sorting a few alternator issues.

For here and now my main question is as quoted.
I've gotten many different answers about the hoods.

I have found a fiberglass hood on an 01 or 03 ranger, can't remember the exact year(can take pics), but I can get it for literally 20 or 25 bucks since the underside has a small chunk of the framing broke off; moderately easy fiberglass fix.
Honestly, they do look close-if not the same, they even have the same hood hinges(except they were bolted to the firewall; mine are welded or something)..BUT with that said, that's with me driving from where one truck is parked, back to where another is, with a bunch of dinkin around in between. Also, I forgot my tape the last time I went, so while I may think they look close, I could not measure. I'm really hoping to find somebody who has tried it or really knows with certainty.

Simply,
will a 2001 or 2003 4.0 Ranger hood fit my 1997 4.0 Ranger splash 2wd manual, while keeping the rest of the 97 front end, fenders and whatnot?
If you do Not think it can be done, do you mind telling me what all is defferent?

Pleeease only answer if your 99.99% sure or better,
thanks a ton!

P.S. I have a small list of some more questions that I'll be asking over the next few days and weeks; and I think, if anybody is interested, in return I'll go ahead and document, and then organize the build and what i learned.

Ok man so I asked the question and got nothing so I went for it. you need the headlights and grill and header panel to fit the hood properly it all lines up except the very front kinda has an underbite look because it's for a have between the hood and grill. I never got pictures I sold the truck like that. I do recommend swapping the whole front it you can get it for cheap

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

RangerSplashh97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok man so I asked the question and got nothing so I went for it. you need the headlights and grill and header panel to fit the hood properly it all lines up except the very front kinda has an underbite look because it's for a have between the hood and grill. I never got pictures I sold the truck like that. I do recommend swapping the whole front it you can get it for cheap

Perfect, thats exactly what I needed to know!
Thanks for the quick response too.

By underbite, do you mean the hood hangs over the grill a bit or the hood is short for the grill?
No way to remedy this except just doing the whole front clip?

red_ranger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25in
Tire Size

Perfect, thats exactly what I needed to know!
Thanks for the quick response too.

By underbite, do you mean the hood hangs over the grill a bit or the hood is short for the grill?
No way to remedy this except just doing the whole front clip?
Yea so I guess under bite was wrong. It's like the a gap in the smile. The hood bulges up over where. It meets the grill and there is a gap other then that it lined up everywhere else I think. But yea front end swap to fix it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

rb1120

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so in order to exchange chassis on a 4x4, it has to be a 4x4 chassis also.2wh drive chassis doesn't match 4x4 extra cab chassis?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It is easier to simply use the same frame for the same application to avoid having to move cross members...cutting and welding, modifying this and that and extra time, money and frustration involved in "conversions".

It can be done from what I've read from others...on several sites...

George akers

Reaction score
I have built 2 gen 3's (93 & 94) and am workin on 2 more (94 & 95), so I will tell what I have found within these builds, but if you need to know other info, I have the ability to check via Ford catalogin at work:

93-97 fenders, hood, front bumper, grill, headlights, marker lights are a direct swap.
93-94 radiator supports are same and 95-97 are same (2 different PN's)
93-97 doors interchange
93 to 08 beds are direct bolt ons and taillights are interchangeable
92-02 Explorer rearends are direct bolt-in if you want 4" of drop in the rear, if don't want the drop, then you have to weld on new leaf spring perches
92-02 Explorer seats will bolt right in after you swap the Ranger tracks to them, the Explorer seats have the holes made into them for the tracks
93-97 cabs are interchangeable, as are 98 up
82-97 steerin boxes are interchangeable to include the MS boxes
82-94 heater boxes interchange, as does 95-97

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's all I can think of for now!:icon_confused:

It is easier to simply use the same frame for the same application to avoid having to move cross members...cutting and welding, modifying this and that and extra time, money and frustration involved in "conversions".

It can be done from what I've read from others...on several sites...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

George akers

Reaction score
Well I'm fixing to tackle putting a 92 model ranger single cab on a 98 Ford explorer both of which is 4x4

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic

slojoe63

Reaction score
What size bolts do the 94 4cyl starter use its the 2 bolt starter I've been on 10 different sites and hav git 10 different answers does anyone kno.i had the bolts on my tool box and my daughter helped me by cleaning up any help would be appreciated I think there 3/8 but I've been told,?metric

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What size bolts do the 94 4cyl starter use its the 2 bolt starter I've been on 10 different sites and hav git 10 different answers does anyone kno.i had the bolts on my tool box and my daughter helped me by cleaning up any help would be appreciated I think there 3/8 but I've been told,?metric

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
They will be metric. Sorry, don't know size.

wyleyone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L 6 cyl
Transmission
Manual
Front Axle

I have a 1994 Mazda B4000 4x4 and I am wanting to get another front axle to put in it. I believe that it has the Dana 35 under it. Will a front 4x4 axle from a Ford Explorer fit in there? Any help would be appreciated. I have just recently gotten the truck and I am wanting to fix it up. Thanks for the help!!

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
harness interchange

the wiring harness section from the cab to the tail light harness, the long piece that runs alongside the frame is the same PN for all long bed trucks. extended cabs are different, as are short beds
had to ask at ford this week as po cut n spliced for trailer lights on my 88.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals