• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to change the voltage regulator and/or brushes in your alternator

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm pretty anal when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles. My truck just hit 115,000 miles so I decided I'd better replace the brushes in the alternator. I wasn't experiencing any flickering, or any issues at all actually. I just decided to do it for cheap insurance. I bought this kit from the local "A&E Generator" which re-manufactures alternators and starters. The guy gave me new screws, the retaining pin, and the brushes with housing for about 4 dollars. He told me some of them have epoxy on the screws that hold the brush housing to the regulator, but mine was not like that. I'm sure a notch with a Dremel and a flat head screw driver could get them out.

Anyway, I snapped some photos and explained what I did. I've done this so many times, I can do it in my sleep. Saying that, I'd like to note that this is the first time I had an official retaining pin to hold the brushes in place. Every other time I've found bending a paperclip works quite well.

I am open to any wording suggestions. Shout at me, and I'll see what we can come up with. Especially if I misspelled a word(s).

EDIT: I would also like to add that I know this will work on several different alternators. I do know this process here will not work with a 6G alternator because the regulator is internal.

This step below was just a measure to show how the pin retains the brushes in position through the hole. They will need to both be pushed back in order to install them.

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Good write-up and photos! Let's see how to change those pesky bearings ???

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Good write-up and photos! Let's see how to change those pesky bearings ???
Thank you. I have never had to change the bearings before. I certainly will when/if the time comes.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
As of right now there have been 84 "views" of the page. No suggestions yet?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never managed to get the inner race of the small bearing off the shaft. You need a puller, maybe a slide hammer. The big bearing is cake. You can pry the dust cap and regrease them, just like idler/tensioner 6203 bearings.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Good write up, thanks

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thank you RangerSVO, I appreciate the compliment!

Hey Earl43P, thanks for the pics on the bearings. I have a 6G alternator I want to dig into. I replaced one on my neighbors Taurus the other day, so I have her old one. It has bad diodes in it. I started looking into it and it has a sealed bearing on the back that resides in a plastic sleeve. I tried to get it off of there, but I think it's going to require me fashioning some kind of a puller to get it out. Ever tried working on a 6G? When I watched a buddy of mine do a field coil in a 3G, the back popped right off.

I actually have two 3G's for a 4.0 Ranger/Explorer and my factory Mustang alternator sitting around too.......me and my spare parts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals