• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck is dead. Anti-theft problem?

98Longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
98 Ranger will not start. Turning key gets nothing. No dash lites. Nothing.
Pretty sure it's not the battery but am getting it tested to verify.
The anti-theft device on my truck is a small elctrical slot on the dash below the sterring column with a chipkey (that's what I call it) inserted in it.
The not starting sympton is acting exactly like what would happen with the chipkey out. There are also 2 LED's on this elrctrical slot that flash.
I've Googled everything I can think of and can find no info.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sometimes the pats systems go wonkey on these, ususally its just as simple as having them reprogrammed, probably what happened here

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is PATS, you are pretty much stuck with having the dealer look at it.

98Longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not a PATS issue, I don't think.

If I'm not mistaken PATS uses a programmed transponder key. The key to my truck is your basic key similar to what you'd use to unlock the door to your house. There are no buttons on my truck key.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It isn't the factory PATS system- when it screws up you get all your lights, it just disables the starter. So even when PATS screws up, you can jump the starter with a screwdriver and it will run. Do you have headlights? The security system (aftermarket I'm assuming) shouldn't disable the headlights, so if they aren't working I'd be looking along the lines of bad battery cables or ends.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It isn't the factory PATS system- when it screws up you get all your lights, it just disables the starter. So even when PATS screws up, you can jump the starter with a screwdriver and it will run. Do you have headlights? The security system (aftermarket I'm assuming) shouldn't disable the headlights, so if they aren't working I'd be looking along the lines of bad battery cables or ends.
With my F-150 it will still crank with a steel dummy key, but will not start unless it has the chip...

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
idk, on my 96 mustang it wouldnt run at all without getting a key made and programmed, it wouldnt run if u jumped the starter, 125 later i was able to start my car, and oh ya, PATS doesnt have buttons on the keys, its just a chip inside the key itself on those years if im not mistaken

98Longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update

I found my backup chipkey and inserted in anti-theft slot. I then tried starting truck again and no start, no dash lites, radio works, dome lite works. When attempting start I had driver door open and heard clicking coming from under dash. Presume it was a relay for door cause when I closed door clicking stopped (No Shit!). I then could hear clicking coming from under hood and it was coming from the ignition switch relay in the power control module. I decided to pull battery and take for testing. Battery tested good and was charged for an hour. Re-installed battery and truck started like a dream. Battery posts were not dirty and almost zero corrosion, same for the battery cables/connecters but I wire brushed them anyways. Drove truck home, maybe a 5 minute drive, turned off motor, then restarted motor, all seems good. Taking it Monday to have electrical system tested. I also tried the original chipkey in the anti-theft slot and truck started. Your thoughts please.
FYI: Anti-theft is not aftermarket, came with the truck when I bought it new.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
98 Rangers didnt have PATS.

I've also never seen a factory built RBV with any slot for a chip, so whatever you have IS aftermarket, even if it was installed by a dealer. I have seen them in other cars though, but never a factory installed option.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
My buddy's 98 did the same dang thing three months ago. He called me and asked what to do. I told him to disconnect the battery and wait about 5 min. and then connect it back up. It started right up again. Some of my friends had their engne lights come on and I had them do the same thing and the check engine light never came back on. I figure if there was a problem it would have come back on again after awhile or come back on right away.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This truck doesn't have PATS. PATS keys don't necessarily have buttons.

Your anti-theft system is not factory. In fact the closest thing I can think of to what you have described is the factory system that came on my dad's old 93 Chevy van. Chevy had a recall for those systems not working right. I think the fix was to remove the system.

tjstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2ooo
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
PATS system will either dissable starter or in the case of my 2000
4x4 it will dissable the fuel injection, guess what..... My piece of scrap Ranger wont start either. Worse yet the place I bought it from worked on it for 2 years and couldn't fix it. I THOUGHT I could. My Local Ford dealer had it for a week and couldn't. So I bought a By Pass Kit and stiil it fails to sart when ever it feels like it. So far this week 3 days it DON'T FEEL LIKE IT!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals