• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing marks on a '89 2.3 - New belt install

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of putting another engine in my '89 Ranger. I'm putting a new timing belt in the newer engine. I am wondering if the timing mark on the aux. sprocket has an alignment point? I have the cam sprocket aligned, crank aligned and on TDC. I accidentally put my hand on the aux. sprocket as I reached for a toll and turned the sprocket without the belt in place. This is why I was wondering if the aux. sprocket has an alignment point. I think all it does is drive the oil pump, am I correct? I could not find anything in my Haynes manual about this.

Thanks,

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No help!

That site pretty much has exactly what the Haynes and Chilton manuals have. Here is a picture of my engine. The aux. sprocket has a timing point on it (look for the red "X"), does that align with anything for proper timing? I have a '95 Ford service manual and it shows on a '95 Ranger 2.3 there is a timing mark on the cover that aligns with the diamond shaped mark on the aux. sprocket. I just want to be sure tha tmy '89 does or does not get aligned with any other mark? As I said, I disturbed the sprocket when I accidentally rotated it with the belt off.

Thanks,

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
'89 doesn't have a cam sensor, so the aux sprocket doesn't matter, just get the belt on it, all it does is turn the oil pump

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals