• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

scraping sound 2.9

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I get this scraping sound / noise after I installed the distributor on my 2.9, when tuning over by hand.
(It hasn't been run yet after a rebuild)...it doesn't last long.... just a certain area.:annoyed::scare:

I thought it I got it corrected prior to the oil pan going on....I'm just about ready to install back into the truck...attaching the flywheel/ringear. so I'm rolling this baby around by hand to get the nuts started. apprently didn't roll it over completely.:annoyed::annoyed:

I'm pretty sure/confident it wasn't present prior to the distributor. (ya know how you 2nd guess this kinda thing if it was yours)

Is there a special tool & or procedure to aligne the drive shaft from the oil pump to the bottom of the distribtor??

the one way washer on the drive shaft could be just riding bottom of the cam gear????

any input ?? appreciated

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Well....It must have been the "one way keeper washer" on the drive shaft between the distrubtor and the oil pump. It may have gotten pushes higher up the shaft towards the distributor/ cam gear...once I put oil in it....& got the engine connected back to the tranny, things quieted down...still turning over by hand. I suppose this washers just got pushed out of the way too so it didn't rub any more.

the few times that I did turn it over would have been barely enough to prime the oil pump....let alone get oil to the upper regions of the cam and valve train.

If there are other who have had simular experiance....I'd like to hear it.

thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals