• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd tire wear on back tire

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have Goodyear Wrangler's on my 01 Ranger, and I noticed some odd wear patterns on the rear passenger tire. I have maybe a maximum of 1/4 inch of tread left on the inside, and quite a bit more tread on the outside. It looks like i've been running them over-inflated, but I have been running 30-32 psi instead of the 35 recommended. I used to have an open differential, which is probably why its only on that tire.

Being a Street/Strip truck, it has done a burnout or two, but not nearly enough to cause this amount of wear. I have about 10k Miles on them so I'm kind of confused as to why it has worn like this. :icon_confused:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I would guess that it is because of bad bearings. They don't always squeal.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had an old full size that did that had a bent rear end housing.Plus have seen others around.Maybe take a tape measure and measure the rear toe and make sure it is strait it would make sense wearing inside.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I'll check to make sure nothing is bent. And just clarifying, I went out and checked again after I posted, and the wear seems to been in about a 3-4 inch strip in the smack dab center of the tire. I figured it would have been favoring at least to one side or not. Usually I would write this one off to over inflation, but 32 psi on street tires doesn't quite fit the bill.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
maybe a bad air pressure guage reading? this has happend to me before, the guage read 35 and when i checkrd it later with my digital one it read 50 psi.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
to be honest that never crossed my mind. I'll check the tires at the shop and make sure my gauge is working

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That is a definite indication of over inflation. I think 32 psi, with nothing in or on the bed, is too high. I typically run about 30 psi with a 350 lb shell on the back. That gives me uniform wear.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
alright boys and girl, I figured out the reason the tread wore in the dead middle and not on the outside at all (I know it only took me 4 months after replacing the tire to figure it out too!) I was watching Pass Time and noticed some of the cars with slicks had the tires balloon out during a high-speed burn out. Then it all clicked. My nitro RC tires balloon in mid jump due to the tires spinning so fast with low pressure. Same thing happens with regular tires if you have the torque to spin them that fast. Then I remembered I dropped my tire pressure to 23 on the back for one particular race.

Now, by balloon I mean the tire basically expands away from the rim thanks to physics. When the tire becomes 'taller", the middle of the tread raises up above the rest of it much like it was over inflated.

I can't believe it took me that long to figure that part out. No more 4000 RPM+ burnouts for me at the track i reckon!

fordbrian333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I personally do not find this to be a valid reason to stop doing 4000 rpm burnouts...theyyre too fun :)!

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
I personally do not find this to be a valid reason to stop doing 4000 rpm burnouts...theyyre too fun :)!
X2 just wait till you do a 6000 RPM burnout! :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals