• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What could be causing my Ranger to feel like it's always riding on a washboard road?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger is having a really bad problem with the way it drives on the highway and it seems to be getting worse.

Everything's vibrating inside when driving down the highway and it does'nt do it at any particular speed. It's like the suspension is too stiff or something. The steering wheel shakes like a banshee too!

There are some portions of highway however where it feels pretty smooth and does'nt shake like a madman. The balljoints have close to about 500,000 miles on them and have never been changed.The radius arm/ i-beam bushings are the same too. Could this have something to do with it?

I'm going to climb under it later and check balljoints like the manual says and I'm also probably going to go to AutoZone and buy some radius arm bushings and install them tonight. Thanks

Allen

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tie Rods???

Vonrak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Things i would check,

Tie rods
upper/lower ball joints
hub bearings
bent rim
bad tire/broken bands
sticking e-brake/broken e-brake spring if you run drums on rear.

Vonrak

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
500,000 miles ?!?!?!?

My entire truck doesn't even have 150,000 on it.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Things i would check,

Tie rods
upper/lower ball joints
hub bearings
bent rim
bad tire/broken bands
sticking e-brake/broken e-brake spring if you run drums on rear.

Vonrak
LIKE HE SAID, the wheel bearings are also a usual on these.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Bad shocks should be added to that list as well.

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it sounds like something to do with a tire problem since it only dose it once it gets some speed. maybe your tire weight fell off or some of the above answers. and did you go offroading and then it suddenly happened or something like that?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well it does it at all speeds but it's worse according to the highway/freeway condition. I look over at other Rangers cruising along and their steering wheels are smooth as silk and mine's rattling like a bat out of hell!

On certain areas of the highway/freeway it will roll smoothly but usually it will rattle like hell. It's getting old man. I just bought some radius arm bushings from AutoZone and I'm going to put them in real quick and recheck my alignment.

I'll probably just replace the balljoints this weekend (maybe shocks too if I have enough $$) and have the tire balance checked as well.

Thanks guys.

Allen

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I bought the radius arm bushings but the old ones stilll seem ok to me, nice and rubbery with no play.

I messed with the alignment a little bit but there's still something not right I think. I'll be driving it in the morning to work so I'll post back up to let you know. I still have'nt had a chance to check if there's play in the balljoints or not. Thanks for all the help so far. Later.

Allen

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My truck has a bad shake on the highway, in the steering wheel, in the seat, all over, just as you describe. It didn't start doing it until i smashed my rear driveshaft on a rock last weekend.

Although unlikely for a street truck, just don't forget about driveshaft balance. Yours to me sounds like a bad tire. Jack it up and see if it's round when it spins. GY Wrangler RS-A's are know for this.

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a bad vib/shake over 60 mph.

I know its my wheels off balance. I had my front tires off redoing my bearings a month ago, and I noticed some big globs of grease on the inside of my rims. Stupid me cleaned it off - but I guess my tires were balanced when the grease was present, so now my tires are off balance.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you suspect bad tires, a trick is to rotate them and see if the shake goes to the rear. Or even changes a bit. If it's a wheel bearing, steering or suspension, it will be exactly the same.

Unbalanced driveshafts shake the whole vehicle, not the steering. Shaky steering alone indicates something attached to the front wheels or axle arms.

I'd suggest lifting the front end and manipulating all the various pivots (with a prybar if needed). Pretty much any looseness anywhere is a problem.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
check your wheel studs - believe it or not we have had quite a few vehicles come to our dealership with broken studs causing a vibration..just a suggestion to the list above..

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Check for sticking brake calipers.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could it be that you had a bad axle and now putting the junkyard one in after the gear install.
Yeah, sorry I have'nt posted here to let everyone know how this problem's been going. I've swapped out the rear axle already (still needs to be geared however) and installed some Rancho-5000 shocks in place of the Pro-Comp ES3000's I had in the rear.

I just took the Ranger in yesterday and had the rear wheels balanced and the alignment redone and I must say...........she's rolling pretty darn smooth right now. When I'm driving down the freeways tomorrow I'll be able to tell better but so far the difference is night and day. Thanks

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals