• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need V-8 Swap Articles

double d

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I stuffed a 98 explorer 5.0 awd in a 93 ranger 2wd with ford 9" rear. I kept the 4r70w trans out of the explorer and converted it to 2wd. L and L motor mounts, stock oil pan. Swapped the dash, steering column, relocated the engine computer, cut some new holes in the firewall, made my own heater box, fiberglassing parts from the 98 AC system to the 93 blower motor. Used the explorer fuel system. 96 mustang floor shifter. 4.0 radiator, 5.0 shroud and fan. Going to try a ford taurus fan in the future. Wiring, hardly spliced a thing except for taillights, door pins, dome light, windshield wiper motor. But gutting and thinning out the 4 door explorer harness was the tough part. No engine codes, not on the first try! haha, had a P0500 VSS and p1729 4wd switch fault. Going to get the official engine change smog inspection from a smog referee tomorrow. All i can say if your going to do this, get the whole donor truck and a plasma cutter. Started the project in Dec, ended May 25.

lokjaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.6l swap

I want to put a 4.6l in my 91 ranger. I have a 3.0l in it now with a manual five speed. the engines im looking at are crown vics 1998 to 2003. does anyone have experience with this swap? i have been doing a little research anf the only thing i have found is that the engine mounts needed to be modded a bit no biggie and maybe a tranny mount. My ranger has no A/C so I dont have to worry about that crap being in the way. I plan on useing the crown vic computer and wiring for now and maybe a MegaSquirt later on. Can anyone let me know what they think on this one and how much time it will take. I have alot of experience working on vehicals of all size but never done and engine upgrade.

Slipknotyk_Chyld

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone tried a 302 2wd swap with a T56 6 speed? I have heard that the 4.6 and 5.0 have the same bell housing bolt pattern. It was the 4.6 that was in the Cobra Terminator, along with the T56.
I want to see if it's possible to do a 5.0 swap with an Eaton M112, cammed with high performance heads. Am I just dreaming, or is it a swap someone else has tried?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
4.6 and Windsor 5.0 do not share the same bell housing bolt pattern. There are t56 combos that will bolt to a 302 block, however.
The Eaton is not common on a SBF, but companies like Kenne Bell do make Roots style blowers for our engines.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I can do all things thru Christ who strenghtens me
I have recently completed my 4.6 swap into an 01 2wd Ranger. Not sure what you're looking that would make this an article for the tech. library. I have a complete thread that followed the swap with photos. How should it be formatted to be a tech. article? I wouldn't mind doing it as an article with more detailed info pertaining to the different aspects of the swap. Anything I can offer to help others along with their swap or to let others that are thinking of doing a swap see what is involved. This is a great site and full of people with many talents. Some could be a little more welcoming and more patient with new people who don't know how to navigate the site yet. These guys are gear heads not computer geeks, cut them some slack or they might just go away.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have recently completed my 4.6 swap into an 01 2wd Ranger. Not sure what you're looking that would make this an article for the tech. library. I have a complete thread that followed the swap with photos. How should it be formatted to be a tech. article? I wouldn't mind doing it as an article with more detailed info pertaining to the different aspects of the swap. Anything I can offer to help others along with their swap or to let others that are thinking of doing a swap see what is involved. This is a great site and full of people with many talents. Some could be a little more welcoming and more patient with new people who don't know how to navigate the site yet. These guys are gear heads not computer geeks, cut them some slack or they might just go away.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/announcement.php?f=5

Never done it, heard you gotta match that format though. :icon_thumby:

kamshaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

myagi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well. I'm not exactly driving it yet but I put a carburated 289 from a '65 Mustang into my 2001 Mazda B3000 (almost identical to a Ranger of same year)

Decided to go carburated because I wanted that old school v8 sound and find that's what I grew up with and understand the best.

AOD tranny still giving me heartburn and long nights reading different forums and sites on what to do. I have a couple leaks that I'm in the process of plugging up and and few more parts to buy to complete her but I do have a few pix of the transformation which I will try to post later on. (oil filter concerns not really a huge issue and although I decided to use the remote adapter I puchased, there is room to use a standard short filter with the newer model steering unit's location)

For anybody that's reading this or considering a similar build, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you purchase a donor car/truck complete with transmission and all the extra pieces. Running to the recycling yard or puchasing miscellaneous parts off internet parts suppliers for brackets, engine and tranny filler tubes, hoses, rad, etc is VERY VERY time consuming and gets expensive.

This ,for example is what happened to me. You cannot believe how simple little pieces like a crank pulley or finding hardened 7/16" NF bolts to mount your flexplate to the crank can stall your build. No - the stock flywheel bolts from your flywheel/pressure plate do not work) and your local hardware store is not likely to keep these oddballs in stock.

Also cannot stress enough to read as much about the engine/tranny combination you are choosing because things like tranny crossmembers and driveshafts will probably need to be modified (as was my case) and if you don't have a way of cutting, machining, and welding those items as your installation starts, you are going to be frustrated

Thank goodness today's gearheads have resources like TRS to guide them along. So much great info here. Imagine what it was like 25 years ago before the internet. Well. I guess picking up the phone and calling a buddy and picking his brain until he passed you along to another buddy wasn't such a bad thing :icon_thumby:

Lastly. This is NOT a weekend project unless all the stars are lined up in your favour. Count on 4 or 5 days minimum

Last edited:

Dofter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well. I'm not exactly driving it yet but I put a carburated 289 from a '65 Mustang into my 2001 Mazda B3000 (almost identical to a Ranger of same year)

Decided to go carburated because I wanted that old school v8 sound and find that's what I grew up with and understand the best.

AOD tranny still giving me heartburn and long nights reading different forums and sites on what to do. I have a couple leaks that I'm in the process of plugging up and and few more parts to buy to complete her but I do have a few pix of the transformation which I will try to post later on. (oil filter concerns not really a huge issue and although I decided to use the remote adapter I puchased, there is room to use a standard short filter with the newer model steering unit's location)

For anybody that's reading this or considering a similar build, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you purchase a donor car/truck complete with transmission and all the extra pieces. Running to the recycling yard or puchasing miscellaneous parts off internet parts suppliers for brackets, engine and tranny filler tubes, hoses, rad, etc is VERY VERY time consuming and gets expensive.

This ,for example is what happened to me. You cannot believe how simple little pieces like a crank pulley or finding hardened 7/16" NF bolts to mount your flexplate to the crank can stall your build. No - the stock flywheel bolts from your flywheel/pressure plate do not work) and your local hardware store is not likely to keep these oddballs in stock.

Also cannot stress enough to read as much about the engine/tranny combination you are choosing because things like tranny crossmembers and driveshafts will probably need to be modified (as was my case) and if you don't have a way of cutting, machining, and welding those items as your installation starts, you are going to be frustrated

Thank goodness today's gearheads have resources like TRS to guide them along. So much great info here. Imagine what it was like 25 years ago before the internet. Well. I guess picking up the phone and calling a buddy and picking his brain until he passed you along to another buddy wasn't such a bad thing :icon_thumby:

Lastly. This is NOT a weekend project unless all the stars are lined up in your favour. Count on 4 or 5 days minimum
I wish we could get something like a "Like" button, because I would like this as much as I could. thanks for the advice and information!

ooo:icon_idea: or like a "Super Like" Button!!!!:icon_surprised:

Dofter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Do we have any info on where the best place is to buy NEW Ford engines and Trannies at the lowest prices? I would really like to know how much it would cost to put a NEW Boss 302 and Tranny in my 91' Ranger.:headbang:

TNT6751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Need help

hey guys im doing a engine swap in my 1987 ford ranger from the 2.9l to a 302 carb. i already replaced the 7.5 rear with 3.73 gears to a 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears in it. now my big questions are, #1, what kind of headers can i use that i dont have to mod, and #2 can i use my stock front axle? and will there be a problem with the drive shaft from the transfer case to the pumpkin. ive been researching all this and i cant find straight anwers. im buying a 1990 ford f150 with a 302, fuel injected that im converting to carb, with 5 speed tranny and transfer case. i beleive the transfer case is a np 205 but not sure till i buy the other truck and get to looking. any tips that anyone can give would be a huge help. thank you.

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know that all of you guys are trying to help put a tech article together to help everyone with their swaps, however the way it is being put together it is very confusing and difficult to glean the specific information for a specific vehicle. One post will be about the best years of Explorer to use in a 1998 to 2002 Ranger, the next post will info on what's needed to install the same explorer engine into a pre 1998 ranger not ( apples to apples ) the next will be using a Mustang engine. one post will be using an automatic transmission and the next will be about using a 5 speed manual transmission, and so on.
It would be much better to keep the thought of using a specific year ( or generation ) of Ranger through the complete thread. Have a section dedicated to automatic. And a section dedicated the 5 speeds and another to transfer cases, Newcomers have to read so many threads to get the needed info to use in their builds, not to mention it is confusing on what's needed to do a V8 swap in to their vehicle. I know everyone is proud of their swaps, but it is not that helpful the way it is now. When you post about what you did on your build, please state what year vehicle you have and what engine you used. We don't need to know what cam you used or why, we just need to know what's needed to get the engine in and hooked up.

I apologize for the RANT, but if you don't know it is broke you can't fix it.

Thank you for the effort you have put into this

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exploranger, Welcome and a pair of fresh eyes is always helpful. Heard several comments same as yours. Most of the later swaps are 4x4 based. I guess those of use that section of the tech library a lot have gotten used to it or found the answers in the V-8 section. It's when you get into the wiring differences 2001 Ranger and later that has never been documented at all. As far as the 4.6 swap, there are builds but you have to wade thru 20 pages for the info.
Dave

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
Who can we message to assist/ask for a V8 Swap Article update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d-heeney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
I have completed about 90 percent of my 5.0L V8 conversion on my 1998 Ranger Splash. Originally it came with the 4.0L V6 but the fuel economy was terrible. I purchased the engine from a local wrecker, a low mileage 1991 Crown Victoria 5.0L. Engine, transmission, drive shaft, PCM and wiring harness. I should have grabbed the serial number from the car because so many things like scanning require positive identification. In 1998, Ford widened the frame from 28 inches to 32 inches which eliminated a number of the clearance problems associated with the 97 and older models. The engine is about one and half inches from centre to the right side. to clear the steering shaft. Ford FL300 oil filter and the original Crown Vic exhaust manifold provide clearance on the left side. I used an early Mustang manifold on the right side. The RH Crown Vic manifold turns out to the right and would hit the frame. The mustang manifold goes straight back tight to the block. Clearance is good and I was able to retain the original factory A/C set up. The engine mounts are easy. Typical wing plates like you see in many swap articles work perfectly and easy to make. I retained the original transmission cross member. The 2 AOD mounting studs come just forward of the cross member. So I made an adapter plate that moved the bolts forward about 2 inches. I shortened the Crown Vic driveshaft to fit the Rangers shorter wheelbase. The Crown Vic uses the same pinion flange as the Ranger so it bolted up directly. I sectioned the rad support so I can unbolt the centre section and lift the radiator and or the condenser straight up and out. This makes for easy access in the future! Use the oil pressure sender from a Ranger to get a positive reading on the gauge. The Crown Vic sender is reverse and pegs the needle in the wrong direction. This change also shuts off the check gauges warning light. The challenges for me now are. The truck starts and runs fine. The MIL light proves out as it should. But the scan tool is unable to communicate. It comes back with no data after the 2 minute run. The self test connector wires are hooked up correctly, so the system is looking for something before initiating the self test sequence and I am baffled as to what it could be. One clue I have to follow is from the Ford Racing wiring harness set up. They have included a switch to simulate the safety neutral switch. PIN 30 to PIN 46 must be triggered otherwise the self test will not initiate. Or is It the BOO switch brake on off signal. That is something that I have to look further into. If anyone has other suggestions on what might be the cause of no data, lack of communication for the scan test. I would appreciate the suggestions. I also need to work out the speedo and tach functions. In 98 Ford used the RABS anti lock brake sensor located in the rear axle to provide the VSS signal. It should be working as it did before the swap, but again it must be looking for data from another source to complete the function? The swap is worth it. It just takes time a patience to figure it all out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals