• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine temp gauge not working

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
after a loooooong job of replacing the motor , i cant believe how little is still not right. my check engine light is on, of course, advanced aouto parts told me it was the engine temp guage and the intake manifold was tuck open. i've been driving it all day, and it runs fine. im thinkin if i get this gauge fixed the light'll turn off.

any way, im pretty positive i found the right sensor, it's plugged in to the block fine and goes right in with other wires, that are all wrapped up. all the other gauges work. might need a new sensor but i wnated to see if any of yall had previous expieriences bafor i do it. i might need to take off the intake in order to get a wrench on it.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What year? What engine? Temperature gauge has nothing to do with CEL. Cel is for emissions related equipment.:)shady

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2003 ford ranger 2.3 liter. the guys at advanced hooked up their thing that chechs why your CEL is on, and thats of the reason it was on.

bro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 l
Transmission
Automatic
If your getting a cel your coolant temps sensor is bad ,not your temp guage sender . The easy way to find the sensor is to look at the replacement and find the one that looks like it (if you get the right part ). The temp sender is usualy on the intake and has 2 or more wires. This part can cause hard start hot or cold ,poor performance ,bad fuel mileage.

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well the only thing that seems to be weird is that while the engine is idling i can tap the gas and the RPM's will move up even while my foot is not on the pedal, and the once to about 2,100 RPM's it falls back down to a slightly high idle. which seems like the intake manifold being stuck open. maybe run some carb clenaer through it, and see how it runs then.

i thought i had founs the sensor on the driver side of the block, but then bought a coolant t emp sensor, which is what they told me i needed, and it was a different thing. couldn't find the same thing they gave me, and returned.

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
ok im sorry bro i read your post wrong. so i just need to find out where the sensor is located.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals