• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which spark plug wires, distributor cap & rotors are the best?

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another one for the 'what's the best to use with my truck' series of threads, I will be doing these 3 items soon and was wondering what everyone suggests. I don't want any fake 'performance' products with bloated prices, I want to get the regular priced stuff (not necessarily 'cheap', even though I settle for spark plugs that cost a buck and some change), but at least the cap & rotor have to be proven in reliability.

I was looking at AutoZone for wires first and ended up at Advance Autoparts, they have the Autolite wire set for $22 so I figured since Autolite is Motorcraft it might be the best thing to get especially since I use Autolite plugs and I don't want to spend $40 on plug wires anyway.

For the cap and rotor, I am thinking of going with the Accel or Niehoff kit. NAPA only has a 'cheap' set and a 'regular price' set, one with serial letters MPE and the other ECH (?). There are other brands I'm looking at: Advance has the Borg Wagner, Beck/Arnley, and Niehoff kits; AutoZone has their own Duralast cap as well as a Beck/Arnley cap and offers Mallory (same as Accel) rotors.

Just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks.

Last edited:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i would go w/ the autozoo beck/arnley setup as this is fine, i have one on my trk and its been good to me for 55k miles. the motorcraft (factory) stuff on my trk finally died at 225k, the tips on the coil/cap corroded in half and wouldnt take new wires, so i changed the coil/cap/rotor/wire assy w/ autozoo parts at 225k miles. i planned on doing the maintenance b4 hand, just slipped my mind til about 195k miles, and when i went to put the wires on they kept popping off the terminals so i took the wires back and put the factory ones on since i didnt have the money to change everything, and slipped my mind again til the trk would crank unless my main wire from my coil to the distributor was in a certain place and kept falling, trk would die...very interesting 5 miles to the shop to get my windshield changed to say the least. got the stuff and changed it after my windshield was put in and ran like a raped ape ever since. i was planning on using the accel 40k coil and cap/rotor assy w/ larger wires to help my boosted engine but i need to do some more reading b4 i set my mind on spending the money on that or something better.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright that's two for Beck/Arnley, which is pretty good. They got the cap for $21 and the button for $6 so it's not a wallet sinker.

Have you guys heard the way this guy talks? It's great.

valleyvinyl84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 / 1994
Make / Model
Ford / Chevy
Engine Size
2.0 / 350 CID
Transmission
Manual
Blue Streak! :headbang:

trish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
hummer
Transmission
Automatic
you should also replace the rotor inside the distributor cap. Try to tune-up your car it includes plugs (NGK or Denso), wires usually OEM, distributor caps and rotors preferably OEM for both. Use platinum plugs and leave them in along with the wires for 60k or 90k, as specified by the maintenance schedule.

Last edited:

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a firm believer in original equip. from experience motorcraft platinum plugs,O'rielly sells them at a reasonable price. don,t skimp on wires either if you don't get Motorcraft get a good fitted set no headaches

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nothing better than Motorcraft ignition parts for our trucks.

Accell is total crap, btw.

-zz

psykostevo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Glad to read the advice to stay away from Accel. I was once tempted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals