• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

synthetic or not

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I put this engine in 5 years ago out of the bone yard and did the duraspark conversion with valve guide seals and she actually holds oil now. Would it be wise to put synthetic oil in a older 2.8 and what type of oil is the best and the best filter. I put about 1500 miles since the conversion and oil change with zero problems and running valvoline 10/30 now with a fram filter.tks Kim

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are a number of threads here. all of them rate the Fram as the worst filter you can buy. Motorcraft, Purolator, NAPA Gold, and others all rate much better. think you'll find that the K&N filters aren't worth their price tag.
if you have no leaks, full synthetic should be ok. i always use a semi-synthetic for mine, but i haven't done the valve seals yet (latter this summer for sure!). typically 5W30 for winter and 10W40 for summer driving. i'm thinking of trying the Lucas additive once the valve seals are done. heard lots of good things about it. search for the threads and you should have all the info you need... imho.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to use synthetic, go ahead and use it. Don't believe all the myths that it will screw up your engine. It's just oil. But, you need to ask yourself what you're hoping to accomplish by using it. Unless you want to extend your drain intervals, or put a lot of stress on the engine, or drive in extreme temperatures, it's probably not that necessary.

And I do not recommend additives. I wouldn't put that Lucas crap in my lawnmower.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
there are a number of threads here. all of them rate the Fram as the worst filter you can buy. Motorcraft, Purolator, NAPA Gold, and others all rate much better. think you'll find that the K&N filters aren't worth their price tag.
if you have no leaks, full synthetic should be ok. i always use a semi-synthetic for mine, but i haven't done the valve seals yet (latter this summer for sure!). typically 5W30 for winter and 10W40 for summer driving. i'm thinking of trying the Lucas additive once the valve seals are done. heard lots of good things about it. search for the threads and you should have all the info you need... imho.
Hey thanks I put 10/40 castrol and a motorcraft filter in and am getting around 5-10 lbs more pressure and the power seems better less on the foot feed. I did the duraspark and valve guide seals huge difference on overall performance and I no longer have to wait to start it if someone is by the tail pipe he he (puff of black smoke). The only downfall is I have to get rid of more oil now it actually holds it. But I think I can get used to it:yahoo:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still wondering just who rates the Fram filter as being bad other than as said a "Lot of threads" say so. Anyone have some actual proof to back up those statements? Seen a lot of statements by some backyard "know-it-all" and in "His oppion, they are junk" just by looking at them.
Dave

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Still wondering just who rates the Fram filter as being bad other than as said a "Lot of threads" say so. Anyone have some actual proof to back up those statements? Seen a lot of statements by some backyard "know-it-all" and in "His oppion, they are junk" just by looking at them.
Dave
Buy one and cut it open. You'll find that Fram uses a cardboard backing to the filter media, which is acceptable to tearing and letting the oil by-pass the filter. Most all other filters use a stamped metal filter media backing. Also, Fram uses less filter media than most others. On their PH8, the media is like 190 sq". While a PureOne or Motorcraft filter is 400 sq". More media for better filteration and longer life.

Now as for Fram motorcycle oil filters. They are actually pretty good and use a stamped metal backing.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Newer oils have less zinc so as not to contaminate the cats. On an older engine I would say use a diesel-spec oil because they have more zinc, which flat tappet engines like a 2.8 like better. Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic is an excellent oil and doesn't cost a lot either. I would use a Motorcraft or NAPA Gold or Wix filter.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I run an FL-1A, 4 qts Castrol High Mileage 10-30 conventional, and 1 qt Lucas.

@ Exbass:

I don't usually recommend oil additives either, but in older engines the Lucas is nice. My 2.9 will smoke, chatter, and have low power on 5 qts oil. On the 4:1 Oil/Lucas, good power, no smoke, and even the 2.9 tick goes away, along with the rest of the valve train chatter.

I know that means I have bigger issues, but it works for now, and the 2.9 is getting replaced in a year or two and I can't afford to have it down long enough to tear that far into the engine.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Newer oils have less zinc so as not to contaminate the cats. On an older engine I would say use a diesel-spec oil because they have more zinc, which flat tappet engines like a 2.8 like better. Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic is an excellent oil and doesn't cost a lot either. I would use a Motorcraft or NAPA Gold or Wix filter.
What he said. Lack of zinc is a real problem with engine life, and especially cams.

Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is simply one of the best oils you can use, and when you consider the price, it may be the best hands down.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just be sure you check the Rotella jug closely. they put 4 qts in theirs and the engine with filter needs 5 qts. that happened to me a few months ago. i think it was their regular oil, so the synthetic might be different for the amount in the jug.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals