• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pros & Cons of installing a Body Lift on an offroad 4x4 truck

What's the maximum amount of Body Lift you would use?

• 0" - No body lift

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • 1 inch

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 2 inches

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • 3 inches

Votes: 41 53.9%
  • 4 inches

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • 5 inches or more

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

ElectricSquid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Con:

Installing a body lift can sometimes damage wires if you're not careful.
I think that "con" is more of an installer error than a bad check for body lifts.
That's like saying oil changes are bad because you might not put the drain plug back in.

Some folks think that stretching wires is bad period, even if they don't break.
That's very correct.
Stretching a wire WILL lead to a broken wire sometime down the road.
The worst part is that the wire will most likely break inside of it's shielding, which from the outside, won't look like a broken wire.
That'll make diagnosing the problem that much harder.

Last edited:

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I don't think a bl on a ranger looks too bad,,not as bad as some chevy's I see. A few years back I put one on a s15 to clear 275 75 15's, looked like crap and the engine bay was a snowdrift in the winter and would'nt start well .I would consider a 2 or 3 inch bl to clear 33's on my 97.

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
body lift

I like the body lift for a few reasons. It make the bronco II and rangers easier to work on all the way around. I play in the mud alot and it make it easier to wash the running gear. I think that body lifts get a bad rap because of bad installer doing them. I have had a few rig over the year that i ran body lifts on and i took my time putting them on. I never had any problem caused by the body lift.

orange_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
im hoping to install a bl in the fall they doo have downsides but they r cheap and if u do it right i think it will be worth it too clear the bigger tires.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
my buddy had a 6" body lift on his old chev, beat that truck like hell and no problems

ill vote 4

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I pray to buddah your buddy doesn't daily drive that truck with a 6" body lift, boggin. 6" puts shit tons of strain on your bolts. I'd laugh till I got hemroids to see him take a turn and the cab falls off.

There are obviously pros and cons to everything.

A body lift is cheap, kits are durrable, keep a low COG due to the drive train being kept down low, allow room for articulation, gives room for shock towers, gives room to drop some bigger cubes in there, gives room for other transfer case / transmission combos, allows you to change spark plugs and oil filter through the inner fender, gives room for sliders, will not effect your steering (especially with A arm).

I've jumped my truck and never torn off a body mount or sheered a bolt. I've got no beefs with body lifts especially on a 98 and up truck. It's worth it.

With some tube under the cab you can hardly tell it's body lifted.

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have a 2" bl on my 89, and i am very happy with it despite being skeptical at first. I originally put it on because I found out the hard way the a 4" lift wouldn't clear 33s, but since then working on my truck has become much easier (especially changing spark plugs). my rockers don't come in contact with the ground as much and that 2" of lift is incompressible so it keeps my tires off my body (at least it did until I swapped to the wider explorer axles).

The down side is the ugly gaps and my trasfer case shifter is a little harder to operate since it it 2" closer to the floor. I also had to adjust my radiator shroud to keep the fan from rubbing on it. So, that in mind I wouldn't go more than 2 inches.

svo_jon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
M brother and I both had body lifts on a pre runners and on the same wee end we both hit dunes hard on the nose and the bodies shifted on the frames. On his truck the floor buckled under the drivers foot about 2".

I will never use one on a truck again after this(what would happen in a callission?). I don't know about an SUV due to more mounts holding the same pease of the body to the frame.

To answar the question: As little lift as you need. I think the only reason my truck didn't fare as bad as mu brother's is he had a 3" and I have a 2".

Jonathan

unclemeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The main disadvantage of a body lift is that it will allow the frame to flex. That can create handling problems, noise and a greater potential to permenantly bend the frame.

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm not a fan of them particularly. I can see running an inch or two to help clear some tires or something but that's about it - and you could probably just trim and get away with that instead.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The main disadvantage of a body lift is that it will allow the frame to flex. That can create handling problems, noise and a greater potential to permenantly bend the frame.
The frame will flex whether it has a body lift or not. I can get about 1/4" difference between the pinstrips on my truck... which is the same as it had without a bodylift. My dad's '80 F-350 has flexed enough that bed has hit the cab on both sides and it doesn't have a body lift at all.

A BII or Explorer with one solid body would be even less apt to twist.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals