• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about bed removal

Hawker

Reaction score
How much difficulty in pulling the bed on a XLT Supercab? Can two guys lift it? Anything trickey I need to know?
Trying to put in a rear sway bar and Ford ran a solid vent line right in front of the bolt hole in the frame on the 08. Then they mounted the fuel tank within and inch on the inside so you can't get in there to do anything.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Two people can lift it off (I've done by myself by rigging overhead lifting points). Pulling the bed is really rather easy; in my honest opinion the biggest factor is what shape the bed bolts are in. If you're in the rust belt removing the bed bolts can be the only real pain; a new one should be cake. Otherwise, it's just disconnecting the rear lights harness, and be sure to unbolt the gas filler neck (3 screws). Mine's a '94, and I don't know that an '08 is really any different in regards to bed removal.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The 6 ft bed weighs 250lbs at the most. My son and I lifted mine off easily. 6 bed bolts (T55, I think), 3 filler neck screws (about 1/4in), one tail light plug (rear of the bed, drivers side on my 02), and some lifting. The lift is rather high if you have mud flaps on your truck, but not excessive.

It is very easy to remove,but if you want to leave the bed in place, you can just tilt it by removing 4 bed bolts (leave 2 on one side) and lifting one side. Prop it up securely, or you may become the meat in a metal sandwich. You will still have to disconnect lights and filler.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The hardest part I found was the bolts...the two at the front were siezed and even an impact drill wouldn't budge them...got them off with a 3' breaker bar and a T55 Torx socket though...

Lifting the box is not really necessary...I did it myself by lifting the front end and pushing it off the back...but, then again, I didn't care too much about damaging it because it was already scrap...I put the replacement on myself also...just lifted the front edge onto the rear bumper and slid it over the wheels...the gas tank was off already so I didn't need to move the filler hose...

Better if you have help...but if your fenders were as rusty as mine were finding a good place to grip is not easy...make sure you wear gloves in that case...rusty metal can give you lockjaw (tetnus (?SP) shots recommended)...

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
It only took 2 of us to lift the box off my 2000.

Short bed and step side. It wasn't too bad.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
2 people can lift it no problem.. ive taken mine off plenty of times..

Hawker

Reaction score
Thanx guys. Sounds fairly easy from what you're telling me.

Rarasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got the bed on my 92 Supercab off and on no problem with my wife and her sister on one side! Easy job..

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Also, side note, about placing the bed, either place it up on end, or upside down or place it on some wood or something so the fender side are hanging free. When I pulled the box off my 89 to put a new one one, we set the old box on the ground and the bed side collapsed in and made a nice crease, not that I cared because it was scrap metal, but just something to look our for.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Also, side note, about placing the bed, either place it up on end, or upside down or place it on some wood or something so the fender side are hanging free. When I pulled the box off my 89 to put a new one one, we set the old box on the ground and the bed side collapsed in and made a nice crease, not that I cared because it was scrap metal, but just something to look our for.

I had the bed off my old '91 a few times and would just set it in the grass, no scratches, dents or creases..

But yea like everyone already said taking the bed off is a piece of cake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals