• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie with Question

Off the Grid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 03 SC 4WD has 66K miles and there's a leak (not cracked) on the front differential. Anyone out there know what kind of labor I'm looking at to remove and replace the seal. I'm a optimist and hope there is no internal damage. Thanks

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well if it just needs the cover taken off, replaced, and filled back up, it will take you longer to get your tools out then to do the procedure.

Just curious, but do you know how its leaking, and where at? Any pictures? I am pretty sure you have a live axle which means that diff is always turning. If thats the case, you need to get that fixed ASAP or at least make sure there is fluid in that diff.

Check the fluid level by pulling the fill plug. the fluid should be right up to that hole.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well if it just needs the cover taken off, replaced, and filled back up, it will take you longer to get your tools out then to do the procedure.
Have you seen where the front diff is on the newer trucks? It's right behind the engine crossmember, practically right up against it. You need to remove, or at least lower, the entire differential to get the front cover off.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well in that case it sounds like a PITA. Sorry bad info. I didnt realize its such a PITA design. Could you even fill up the differential without lowering it?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The fill plug is in a pretty easy accessible location, but to change the fluid, you have to siphon it out through the fill plug like on TTB. :mad:

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PITA= Pain In The Ass.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It may not be leaking from the cover (front). He said the seal. I'm guessing the seal where the yoke/drivesahft comes out of the diff?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals