• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Shocks?

Wigifries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I want to raise the rear of my truck about half an inch to an inch, could I get air shocks and just fill them up to lift the rear end? Also I will be hauling my dirt bike around this summer and want a little bit more support in the rear rather than the drop shocks. Is this even possible? Will the shocks bottom out due to my ranger being lowered about 5 inches? Any response would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!:headbang:

low~n~blue

February 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i don't know about air shocks but they make air bags that go in the back and have a nipple placed by the bumper and u can add air when hauling and keep them empty when your not so keep the nice ride. Super easy and really nice, have them on the diesel and makes ALL the difference. Thought about putting them on my ranger too cuz it's lowered 4 inch's and I haul my quad too.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can use air shocks to raise the back of the truck a little but I wouldn't recommend it as an every day solution. I had Gabriel Hi-Jackers on the back of my (stock height) 84 Ranger, mostly for load assist. They could lift the back end 4-5 inches IIRC. That said they were stiff when aired up even a little and made for a poor ride, I pretty much only inflated them when I had a load. You would be better off keeping your slight lift, and your load assist separate. Think about it this way shocks aren't meant to support weight they are only meant to dampen the shocks dealt to the suspension. If you increase the shock's ability to support weight you in turn decrease their ability to dampen those shocks.

How is your truck lowered? You say dropped 5" in the rear so I"m assuming that you have swapped to spring over axle. Based on that I'd recommend the chevy lowering shackles, they will provide approximately 1 or 2 inches of lift on a Ranger depending on which setting you use. Then use a load assist bag as low~n~blue mentioned. You are better off keeping the drop shocks and the load assist separate.

I'm currently in the process (very slow process) of building an 86 Ranger with a drop similar to what you have. I am running DJM beams in front, and an Explorer axle in the rear. The axle got me a 5"+ drop in the rear, but I'm also using the explorer's springs which are a little softer I think. Then I'm using the Chevy shackle to raise the rear back up about 2 inches to match with the front. Still not sure if it'll be enough because I prefer a little rake to being level, I do have a set of 2" drop springs for the front is it's not. I plan to use load assist bags if I need them for towing hauling purposes.

For shocks you'll have to do some research for that. I think most people run a Nissan Hardbody Shock for drops in the range of 3 to 5 inches. If you do decide to go with air shocks this is probably what you'll need to get them for. On my swap I'm going to run a completely different shock set-up from stock and what you have so the shocks that work for me won't work for you. I'll be copying the Explorer's shock mounting design with a shock cross member mounted forward of the axle, and the lower end of the shocks at the explorer spring plates. It'll also be set-up to use stock length Ranger shocks rather than drop shocks.

low~n~blue

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I run the chevy shackle to raise it up a little bit so it has a slight rake. Mine was bullied after the axle swap and good point about the axle flip. Totally spaced on that, i guess it would depend on how you lowered as putting a bag between a flipped axle and springs would only lower it more haha.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I run the chevy shackle to raise it up a little bit so it has a slight rake. Mine was bullied after the axle swap and good point about the axle flip. Totally spaced on that, i guess it would depend on how you lowered as putting a bag between a flipped axle and springs would only lower it more haha.
Axle flip wouldn't matter with the air bags, except for getting the right set-up. I think normally they would go between the springs and the frame, not the axle and the springs. With the axle flip you would need one that mounts to the axle instead. I know there are enough vehicles out there with the axle over the spring that some company would have one that works.

low~n~blue

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
my vote is pick up one of these little trailers and then your good! haha plus then you can carry other stuff! haha

Magnetic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
dont mean to cut into wigifries thread but where did you get that trailer low~n~blue? im looking for one

low~n~blue

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
dont mean to cut into wigifries thread but where did you get that trailer low~n~blue? im looking for one
I got it at Lowe's home improvement store. Its a Polar Bear, 8x4 bed. It weighs nothing but has good size tires compared to some of the ones around. They are around 800-1200 new I believe depending where you go but i've found them on craigslist way cheaper. Can't complain, the front and back of it is removable and also can be flipped so they lay flat which adds nearly 2.5 feet front and back. Sorry :threadjacked: hahaha

Magnetic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
goign to hav eto look aroun phoenix area cause i havnet seen any cheap4x8s down here in tucson

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check out harbor freight, they have trailer kits at a pretty decent price. IIRC they include everything you need to assemble the trailer frame. You just have to provide the material for the decking (plywood or boards) and add sides if so desired. I know dad used one years ago to build a trailer for a John boat, then when he sold that boat he modified it into a kayak/canoe hauler and it's held up well so far.

marauderx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I could drive that up in my bed! It might hang out a little...

low~n~blue

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Mine is a stepside so it won't fit. The quad is a tick over four feet wide with the extended arms and axle so it won't fit between the bed rails. HAHA i have tried many ways but it's a no go lol. Plus with it being lowered I need to keep weight out back, not over the rear axle or I'll be on bump stops.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I could drive that up in my bed! It might hang out a little...
Which one you talking bout? The 4 wheeler or the John boat. If it was the 4 wheeler not all of them are the same size. As low~n~blue mentioned his is to wide to fit, my dad's (cause I don't have one) won't fit in ait would fit in the bed f Ranger bed, hell it barely fits in the bed of his F-250. If you were referring to the John boat, it would fit int he bed of the Ranger and that's what he used to do. His leg was injured in a plane crash back in '03, and the damage to it will never fully recover. That made it difficult to load into and out of the truck, so he built a trailer. People have many reasons for wanting or needing a trailer.

Magnetic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my reason is i want to put a camper on my ranger and build it to camping specs camping bag bed grill etc etc and the trailer would be to haul the salsa i sale on a daily basis that way i dont have to carry and unload every time i decide to camp out etc i can just unhook trailer an and go :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals