• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idle at start

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0L V6 with about 105k miles on it. Recently, my truck began to idle very poorly when starting cold. I have quite a few symptoms to help diagnose this, so please bear with me. The idle on cold starts is rough, gurgling, it almost stalls (and sometimes does) and the exhaust is unbearable until the engine smooths out (not sure if the smell is really rich or lean, but it smells as if you've got your nose next to the tailpipe while it's idling rough). After you run it for a few minutes - flawless idle and the engine appears to be working perfectly fine. Sometimes, the "transition" happens while at idle. It's rough - rough - rough and then all of a sudden it's smooth without any revving. The time it takes for it to smooth out varies wildly (this morning I made it all the way to work, about a 10 minute drive, with it idling like crap). There is no noticeable power loss at speed.

I've cleaned the mass air flow sensor, idle air control valve, replaced the DPFE sensor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and just about everything else I can think of.

One possible culprit, although it seems unlikely to me, is the ORIGINAL, Ford battery that STILL starts my truck. For whatever reason, miracle of miracles, in the nearly 11 years I've had my truck, I have never replaced my battery - but it starts just fine and I've never had an issue (spent 3 hours with the radio blaring the other day and it started right up without issue).

Any ideas?

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Try a new IAC valve (idle Air Control) cleaning can help but if the resistance is off it will not work right, and the symptoms you reference point to the IAC, particularly if you have a stick. (IE Idling on the way to work). If not a stick, then does it idle rough in drive? If not then it is the IAC. Sticks use the IAC when the clutch is in, autos only use it in Park (maybe neutral as well) but in gear they use the TPS for engine speed.

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, its a stick shift. I'll pick up an IAC valve tomorrow and give that a shot, I hope you're right.

I'll post an update.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
My 97 3.0L had very very similar symptoms. It turned out to be the EGR vacuum solenoid.

Try unplugging the vacuum line that goes to the EGR valve before you start it. If it runs better its most likely the vacuum solenoid.

The solenoid looks like this

and should be on the passenger side of the engine.

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Both of these parts (the IACV and the EGR Solenoid) are pretty cheap. I'll replace each one at a time and update on whether or not either helps.

Although this is a pain in the a$$, replacing $30 parts here and there sure beats a car payment each month.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Like I said, just pull the vacuum line off the egr valve and if it runs good you've pinpointed your problem. Then there is no need to waste 30 bucks.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
How old are your O2 sensors?

when mine where acting up, it idled like it had a mean cam, but when it warmed up (3-5min)it smoothe out.

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I may have figured it out with the help of Earl43P. I primed the fuel system by turning the ignition on (without start) twice before starting and now, for two straight starts that would usually cause a problem, the rough idle lasted for only a couple of seconds.

I'm going to start with another fuel filter (replaced about 10k miles ago) and some fuel injector cleaner, and then work my way back until I figure out the problem (dreading doing a full clean or replace on the injectors or a new fuel pump and hoping to avoid it).

I'll continue to update. If it starts just fine after a prime today after work, I think I will have narrowed it down to a fuel system issue.

I used a fuel filter bought at Advance Auto Parts, any idea if those are unreliable? Suggestions for best fuel injector cleaner to try?

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
I have like the results from Lucas. Also have you Seafoamed your engine yet to clean out intake and carbon deposits?

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Went through about 2 bottles of Seafoam about 10k miles ago when this first showed up (the problem has gotten progressively worse).

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We may be right back at square one - the priming process didn't work last night or this morning.

This is an elusive problem. I'll get around to testing the EGR solenoid and IACV theories this week (by disconnecting the solenoid rather than replacing, as suggested).

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 4.0 idled ruff and I cleaned the MAF Runs smooth as a Linclon now.. From what I read just the smallest piece of trash can throw the MAF into fits on a Ford... I used CRC MAF cleaner...

I am assuming you don't have the CE light glowing...

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No check engine light at all. Every once in awhile the problem gets so bad that I'll throw an EGR flow excessive code, but that's because sometimes the idle never smooths out for some reason.

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An easy way to rule out excessive EGR flow (stuck open solenoid) is to simply remove the vacuum line from the EGR valve itself. Drive it like that even though it will eventually throw the CEL.

If that works, you need a new EGR solenoid valve.

Trotti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It looks as if it was the EGR Solenoid as Sasquatch said from the start . . . I took the vacuum line off of the valve and it cranked up fine. Put it back on, started the engine and it stumbled, stuttered and almost stalled. While still running, I removed the vacuum line from the EGR valve again and it smoothed out instantly. I replaced the EGR solenoid and, so far, it has started right up without issue.

I hope this is it - I could use a few thousand miles without any issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals